LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Fugly
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a tale of a haggis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a tale of a haggis
    Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:48pm
ive been making my Haggis lure for quite a while now and the gilled version turns ten next year so I thought i'd do a bit of a history of my humble little lure.ive probably given away more of these guys over the years than ive sold and they aren't pretty but they have caught fish and that's what its all about at the end of the day
The first haggis' started out as timber (pine ,balsa,or red cedar) It had a spoonbilled bib and was very
skinny the shape was a lot  like a Lucinda lure although I did not know it at the time (sorry LouEmbarrassed).
   My first tests of the timber Haggis were sometime in the late nineties (97,98?),my little lure went well
catching stacks of Bass and goldens ,although in hindsight I don't know how the fish stayed attached as the bib wasn't pinned and the chins on these early lures was so thin its a wonder they didn't snap offLOL

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:04am
well after the initial testing I made about 50 and they were sold or given away and at some point after that I decided to mold some from polyurethane ,these guys were stronger with thicker chins and a much better paint finish generally,they still had the spoon shaped bib and the reflective yellow or red eyes that the timber ones had though,the action on these guys was identical too.i don't recall the time but it was probably around 2000
from top to bottom ,original timber,pu without gills (2000),gilled lure withrecessed eyes (2004),current haggis
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:13am
Can we have some fish pics with more haggis past ? Chris

I like that first nude one with the yellow and black eyes

Can you put me down for a ten year anaversery Haggis please Chris , but if they are a yellow and black thyme ill take 2

Cheers and love your work
Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:21am
theres probably about 200 of the first non gilled haggis' out there somewhere.
  In 2004 I changed the design and put gills and recessed reflective eyes in the haggis,the original blank was just a 2000 version poly haggis but with gills and eyes carved in it,at first I had trouble with the action of the lure as the gills stuck out too much but once they were carved down a bit the lure settled back into its normal wiggle,i also decided to recess the eyes so that fish and snags wouldn't tear them off ,
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:22am
Originally posted by finnsurance finnsurance wrote:

Can we have some fish pics with more haggis past ? Chris

I like that first nude one with the yellow and black eyes

Can you put me down for a ten year anaversery Haggis please Chris

Cheers Rick
absolutely mateWink
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:47am
awesome stuff chris ......I havnt got a timber one .....bugger . cheers aaron
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:49am
hokay,continueing with my haggis story!,i continued making the gilled haggis with the recessed eyes until2011 when I did away with the recessed eyes and just used skinnier eye stickers(why didn't I just do that before?Wacko).it was also around this time that I changed the bib to a skinny one.The idea behind this was that the earlier spoon bib whilst being able to go deep used tomake the lure tumble when you cast it,i guess when I first started making the haggis trolling around the Dams was the ''in'' thing but times changed and
the demand for an all purpose lure became my next task,luckily for me I had nice lazercut skinny bib that allowed the lure to go nearly as deep (4mtrs as opposed to 4.5) and cast much better and although the action isn't as tight it still gets Bass and yellas but also a lot of other critters too.this haggis is my current one but I might finish making them next year as I think ive gone as far as I can with this lure.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:52am
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:06am
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:07am
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:08am
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:14am
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:16am
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:18am
Great story Chris!!
Love your lures, and your a top bloke as well.
Can't wait to catch up at the expo mate
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:27am
no worries James it'll be good to catch upThumbs Up
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:33am
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:48am
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:59am
Thumbs Up
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 2:21am
Good story Chris and thanks for the fish pics

Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 4:33am
great to see the "haggis Story" Chris. Like that first nude. But hey thats me, i just love the nude Lures
Really like the ones i have, but havent caught any Danish Fish on them yet. The plan is to change that this summer, and will off caurse post some Pict when.
One question pops up tho. when did you start to make the bite Haggis
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:17am
Great story there Chris,loved reading it mate...look forward to meeting you at the expo as well....some excellent fish there....ClapClap

Mick!!!
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:14am
You old haggis you,,great read & loved the history,,,will PM you soonish with my order mate....so dont you stop making them yet,,,Gary CFSA
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 10:27am
Lucky enough to have the three body stages in my collection, thanks to Chris's generosity, a good while back.
Now it seems I'll have to look out for the other bib thickness and new eye style....Confused
nearly as bad as them damn deceptions LOL

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

great to see the "haggis Story" Chris. Like that first nude. But hey thats me, i just love the nude Lures
Really like the ones i have, but havent caught any Danish Fish on them yet. The plan is to change that this summer, and will off caurse post some Pict when.
One question pops up tho. when did you start to make the bite Haggis
g'day P.J, I'm not sure Per 2008 I think. the first ones just had the guts and bones painted on
them,the ones with the guts carved in them started about 2009 but I could be wrong. the first lures that had bites in them were my bitebaks which were basically my bandicoot lures that came out of the mold with airbubbles in them that was back in 2000( i'll do a thread on the bandicoots another timeWink)
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 2:36pm
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 3:30pm
Cool read Chris , thanks Thumbs Up
I like pretty painted sticks
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 4:24pm
Wot you mean ya gunna stop making the haggis???? I don't wanna feel guilty everytime I tie on one and too scared to use them........  Great to read the story thoughThumbs Up.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 4:47pm
hey chris, when i got the floorboards off you , you sent me one, all yellow. about half a dozen casts i got a yella off the bank at glenlyon a couple of weeks ago........mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:07pm
ahh the old funky haggis.......cool lures mateThumbs Up
I remember that yella from a trip southWink
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:49pm
Great post Chris and a fantastic little lure, good to hear you fine tuning  lures over time(research and development) it's the little things in design that do make a difference when fishing a lure not just to look pretty but is also practical. 
Credit to you, well done love the bitebacksLOL
Ollie  
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 6:08pm
Great story and pics Chris. I really like that jack you got...Nice!
cheers steiny
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by steiny steiny wrote:

Great story and pics Chris. I really like that jack you got...Nice!
not mine DarrenUnhappy,Mark from MD lures caught that one on the trusty yellow haggis there are more fish caught on the yellow one than any other color ,but I don't know whyLOL
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Wot you mean ya gunna stop making the haggis???? I don't wanna feel guilty everytime I tie on one and too scared to use them........  Great to read the story thoughThumbs Up.
i'll make sure you have a good supply before then mateWink,the sooty grunter and toga in the pics were caught by Mr Horrorhead by the way folks ,he's one hell of a lure testerClap
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:19pm
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

Lucky enough to have the three body stages in my collection, thanks to Chris's generosity, a good while back.
Now it seems I'll have to look out for the other bib thickness and new eye style....Confused
nearly as bad as them damn deceptions LOL

Brad
hey Brad the current style in your picture was current three years agoLOL ,I don't make the recessed eyes any moreWink,thanks heaps for those pictures though mateThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic