LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lure Painting 101

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 5:31pm
Hi George

Like Pete, I only use auto acrylic lacquers.  A quick search on the internet shows that the Testors paints are basically hobby paints and they have some great colours.

The flouro colours look very bright, but our local big hobby store, Frontline Hobbies in Newcastle, doesn't stock the flouro colours.  The other Testor paints seem pretty reasonably priced at $2 - $3 per pot.

If you go to the Testors website, they have Flourescent Enamal kits for only US$12.15, which includes 6 high visibility colors, thinner, paint brush and tray.  Might be worth emailing them to check on shipping costs.

The enamel paints give a much harder finish than the acrylic lacquer, but you have to be patient with the drying times.

Go for broke, George.  You can be the tester for Testor paints and report back to us.

Cheers

Travers
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 8:56pm
Hi George, as Travers said mate you can be the testors tester....LOLLOLLOLLOL
It will be interesting to see what you come up with...WinkWinkWink...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Bungel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 12:32am
Bought a range of these - http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/product/view/splashes

Gloss Acrylic Enamel ( water based ) . Hope these will do the damage, quick drying which will be very helpful for my situation.. all good and should give a reasonably strong finish that i will cover in a marine grade varnish - 3 or 4 coats. Will give them a good dip in some all-purpose wood sealer firstly, along with a light sand before adding colour.

How does this sound?

Going to give the painting a good go this week-weekend coming up. Got a few lures that could do with a dash of paint!
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:09pm
Hi George, If you are going to use waterbase acrylic make sure the paint is
well dried before you put any laquer over it other wise you'll get all the
problems under the sun with peeling and bubbling...WinkWink..I use white Knight
fluro paints in the pressure pack cans and decant them into a bottle.
As a matter of fact I decanted a can of fluro Pink today as I was running low.
Are you going to use a compressor and airbrush to paint with???
or are you going to paint them with a brush???
Give me a yell if you run into any problems....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

Bungel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 11:52pm
Going to paint them with the airbrush.. Have done two coats of Acrylic Wood Sealer on some practice poppers. well dried now. Will give them a light sand tomorrow and then get into putting some colour on them via Airbrush. Gonna go with the white as a base coat, let it dry them hit them with colour to test.

Also will be doing alot of testing on paper, first time using the airbrush so want to have a real good play around.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 8:26am
Hi George, Don't go too heavy handed with your brush.
using paper to practise on is a good Idea and don't thin down your paint too much.
Post up some Pics of your Progress it will be good to see how you go....Artistic
 Talk to you soon and good luck ...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

handyman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:29pm
Pete i,m interested in the eyes, the decal ones i have no idea where to get them. i had a go at fish taxidermy and again same problem finding the eyes, beleive it or not they are the hardest thing for me to aquier, unbeleivable i could paint them but i,m a bit dodgy in the painting so i want to make them nice as i can, my work has to improve with persaverence surely.Smile If you have any ideas or anyone else please pm me thanks a million.SmileSmile
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:34pm
Half plactic pearls are quite usefulWink

And painted ones is easy to make with round stick (drill bit etc). First white one and then black with little smaller.
handyman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:48pm
Thanks Piatu but i would rather stay awy from makeing stuff for eyes, i just wanted something to make them realy stand out, nicley painted lures with dodgy painted eyes are a thing of the past if i can help it.Smile
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:55pm
Check out this site Handyman
Are these what you are after?

Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 9:28pm
just punch your eyes out of contact,you can buy cheap punches from supercheap and the like,a roll of contact from kmart will cost you about $5.00,a black roll for pupils and a white roll for iris' will make thousands of eyes.if you want something a bit flashier and three dimensional try a black contact pupil on a holographic iris(holographic sheet from craft shops) then a light blob of 5minute araldite to make it
3d ,very realisticThumbs Up
handyman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 9:29pm
Pilly you are a god sent from  heaven. wooooooooo hooooooooo bloody ripper mate. any one who doesn,t know about his link kingstonlures .com.au check it out what a ripper thank you so much pilly your a ledgend mate.ClapClapClapClap
handyman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 9:37pm
Puglee62  That is brillient i will give that a go as well thanks mate you also are a king ledgend. it,s amazing when the brain cells connect what you can come up with, i for one would not thought of doing that, crikey my kids would of thought of that though as they are creative, but me ahh daaa naaaa didn,t think glad you did though thanks again.cheersClapClapClapWink
handyman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 9:49pm
Lads not only painting the lures is awsum for being creative and being a fish attractant for catching those beauties but the eyes and other peices that go on make them to, as well as make them a special lure that only we make as lure fanatics and dabbelers creating our own lures of perfection or at least trying to creat something, anyway guys iv, just started a batch of lures so i,ll post them up once i got them done, i,v been reading this post on painting and thanks guys with all your tips that you share so i,m hopeing that i can at least put on a good paint job i hopeConfused thanks guys once again cheers.Smile
lure crazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lure crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by tooch tooch wrote:

Hi George, as Travers said mate you can be the testors tester....LOLLOLLOLLOL
It will be interesting to see what you come up with...WinkWinkWink...Pete.
Howdy! ive used the testors and humbrol fluro colours from the hobby shops. For some reason the pink fades very quickly in the sun (just a few hours) After a session theres distinct colour differences between where the lures been in the shade and where its been in the sun if the lures been sitting in one spot.Dead God knows why! That whiteknite spray is gold though! it goes on heaps smoother and dries quicker.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:31pm
Hi Heath, White knight fluros are pretty good I must admit
but  I have troubles sometimes with Orange peel effect if
I put the paint on too thick.....It seems to come out brighter if
you put a coat of white paint underneath....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

lure crazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lure crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 8:34pm
I learnt the too thick problem pretty quick! the fluro's certainly are better if only one coat is sprayed on. Just annoying if theres any dark spots underneath, as it shows up like dogs balls under the floro paint.Cry
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:31pm
Gotcha there Heath, Some times you've only gotta overlap the spray a little
and the jobs buggered.. Thank god you can strip them back with thinners...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 6:04am
Thanks guys,
used flouro pink white knight outof can about15yrs ago to make a cod lure for a trip, this orange peel happened to me, I cleaned it down about 4 times and resprayed, but still no success, I always wondered what the problem was.
It caught cod though!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 6:29pm
Hi Nicho, It only takes the slightest amount of grease on your hands or
even the aftershave or deodorant your wearing or even fly spray
in the air can cause this effect...WinkWinkWink... I try to wash my hands before I start
and even go as far as wiping a bit of thinners over my hands to prevent
it as much as I can...Gee there's another tip for the book....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by tooch tooch wrote:

Hi Heath, White knight fluros are pretty good I must admit
but  I have troubles sometimes with Orange peel effect if
I put the paint on too thick.....It seems to come out brighter if
you put a coat of white paint underneath....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
Good point Pete,i actually did a signwriting course many moons ago and one of the cardinal rules for flouro paint was to have a white base,spot on mate!Clap
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:08pm
Hi Chris, I think I'd better start writing all these tips down....MMMMSmileSmileSmile...Pete.

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:37pm
Jasin - if it caught a cod who needs fluro pink, the god's were with you.
Pete-R
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:38pm
Hallalula pete R......hallalula, its caught several murray codWink
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by NICHO NICHO wrote:

Hi pete,
will check out the $22 dollar airbrush at bunnings today, probably got fords at bunnings cheap too!
but theyd have to be bloody cheap for me to even consider!

Pete

The bunnings airbrush at my local is a Project Air brand...is that the one?

Cheers

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 1:10pm
Hi Sel, Yep that's the one good little kit
for $22 also have a look at supercheap
the have a stainless steel gravity feed brush for $30 at the moment...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:55pm
Here's a bump on this one too guys...WinkWinkWinkWink..Enjoy..SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:01am
Hi pete ,i been trying to find this thread for ages..thanks for bumping it mate....great read and very helpfull to a novice like myself,,,,,

Mick!!!
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:35am
No problems Mick, I hope it stays up for a couple more days
so the other new guys can have a good read...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:29am
Hey Pete, thanks for bumping this stuff for me.
It has been very helpful, educational, a little bit scary even - but still keen on getting stuck in to a few resprays on some old hardbodies that I just dont use because of colours.
I can never have too many pink or purple lures now!
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:22pm
Hi John, I'm glad you picked something out of all this stuff .
I know how hard it was when I first started out noone would tell me anything
and the only way I could find out any thing was to go and visit my
luremaking freinds and ask heaps of questions. Don't get me wrong sometimes
it was like getting blood from a stone.WinkWinkWink That's why I decided to do this thread to show
all the beginners out there how to Paint and hopefully they have picked up some good Ideas from it.
Just keep one thing in mind Practice, Practise, Practise  and more practise...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:19pm
Thanks Pete...really good read! very informative for newby painters like me.
cheers steiny
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:45am
It's good that you newer guys are getting some
tips out of this thread...WinkWinkWink If you have any questions
don't be afraid to ask..you can PM me if you feel embarrassed....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

Drewb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:19pm
Thanks Pete for putting the time and effort into this topic. Will be coming back to read it again as I start to paint more.

Cheers Drew
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 9:34pm
No worries Drew, Don't be afraid to ask questions mate..SmileSmileSmileSmile...pete.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic