LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing Report Eucumbene this Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:42am
Very gusty you made the right decision.

i missed the red snow flakes falling.Wink

Water rising a bit faster, perhaps less being taken out at the moment.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:34pm
Hearing that Tantangara is fishing okay at the moment.
Made a quick trip this arvo to check it out.
We only found small fish,spinning.

Some movement on top might be worth while try the fly next trip.

Several of us are thinking of a return trip tomorrow ,gates open Friday I believe , no snow present now in the area, the point looks very appealing, water over the green grass.

A large number of eastern greys sighted on the way out.

Water down below the turning circle at the moment making it easier to lodge boats.
Some campers already there presumably waiting for the gates to be opened.
Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:45pm
54cm Brown  caught in the morning and left  with a visitor for Sydney at lunch time.

Tracked mine down in the dirty water amazing how they zero in on the lure in that muck.

Lake Eucumbene as rough as guts ,spray lifting off the white wave crests.
Throwing a 2.6 gram floating lures, note the snags to contend with at the moment. 
No lures lost this trip.
In the arvo went to Tantangara caught four smaller bowns and released , quite a number of fish being caught by everyone up there at the moment.  Varying smaller sizes. Yet to try the fly had a visitor from Canberra with me and time did not permit trying it out.
Regards John

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:03am
Think i have to try harder in our Fjords when the Water looks like that. I normally find another place with clear Water 
Keep fighting John Smile

Knaek & Break 
                  Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:36pm
Nailed a trout on your lure at Tantangara  Per, unfortunately it  was very small and hooked lightly an easy release and did not bother to photo.

It will live to fight another day
Try that dirty water just watch out for snags.
Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:44pm
Just an observation.

I reckon trout are like cats they seem to me on occasions play with the lure as if they are in control.

and attempt to stun the lure /swipe the lure as many of my fish have the hooks lodged in the outside of the body and regularly under the head.

just my two bobs worth.

Regards John
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 1:33am
 Could it be a kind of teritorial behavior John
I often experience here in my local stream that the trout especially at the end of the season towards spawning comes out of their hide and just hits the lures very hard without hook ups 

Knaek & Break 
            Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:14pm
Lake fishermen or Eucumbene fishermen

Has anyone caught / able to ID this item found in a trout stomach today.
 Trout brown around 45cm long

Details , note no skin/scales showing  only flesh.

Approx 25cm long  18mm wide (narrow) no head. did locate some stomach.

I though it might be an eel no detail for a tail.

Perhaps a snake tossed into the water with its head removed.

Third suggestion  a "slippery"  which is a local name for a blackfish but if they are the same fish as found in Tassie it was far too narrow.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
Fish condition gradually improving . Black bug and yabbies in stomach. Handed to a visitor from Canberra., who did not find a fish, he had earlier tried Tantangara without any luck as well.

Many winged insects along the edges this evening ,nothing sighted on the surface before I left.

The visitor spotted two fish moving on top. I personally saw nothing moving this evening. Wind dropped and the water became clearer . The fish went off the bite ,might have been ideal for fly fishing later in the evening.
We all left just as it got dark.

Regards John

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Has anyone caught / able to ID this item found in a trout stomach today.[/]

Pure guesswork.

Weatherloach?
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by JKR JKR wrote:

Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Has anyone caught / able to ID this item found in a trout stomach today.[/]

Pure guesswork.

Weatherloach?

Mate from the area says it's an eel with the skin digested off. The flesh looks like a skinned eel.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:13pm
Well, there are eels in Eucumbene so it could be.

Couple of other observations:

- There's Chinese weatherloach in Eucumbene also, probably because of idiots live baiting. Curiously the weatherloach has a short lateral line (i.e. that does not extend the length of the body). Can't tell 100% from the photo, but if we can agree that the tail end is on the left then the lateral line goes full length - therefore not a weatherloach.

- It's not 25cm long. Graduations on that ruler begin at 11cm, therefore what's visible is 14cm long. At 25cm and very thin, an eel seems very likely. At 14cm and very thin, an eel one of the possibilities.

- I've seen a few trout in the stomach of other trout, and they're more substantial than whatever that is. So it's not a trout IMO.

Nice fat trout, either way John. Might see if I can't snag myself one or two this weekend.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:46pm
JKR 
The points are fishing better at the moment from the boats .I have heard  these reports from recent local fishing efforts.

Saw a nice fish caught on the Tassie Devil this morning off the second point at cemetery, flat lining, condition continues to improve.
I am tackling the sea runners on the west coast  (Tassie) hope to post a few pictures when I return.

I intend  taking quite a few LL members lures they might also catch some of the big salmon that also frequent the waters down there.
Per's metals should be ideal.
Regards John

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:02pm
Have a great trip.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:06pm
Have a great trip John
Hope to hear how it goes Smile

Knaek&Break
                Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 11:16pm
Tassie trip was great travelling on the day boat trip.

Melbourne traffic a bit more chaotic than Adaminaby.

There were to many wet weather  fronts coming through to the West coast for me to chase the sea runners whilst in Tassie.

Did not want to get bogged.

Finally nailed a nice fish this evening at Tantangara on a lure and picked up a smaller one on a mud eye.

It has  been a long time between drinks to land a decent fish. Top end of Lake Eucumbene has been fishing very poorly from the shore.

Road under repair to Tantangara dam only approx two klms to be completed , interesting to see how it holds up after this strong weather event at the weekend.
Empty stomach.

Regards John

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 5:42pm
Love fishing at Tantangara,
About bloody time you caught one
You been on that computer too much

Cheers,
Mad dog Dave   
Life is fishing!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 6:57pm
Thats a good Trout John   
Good to see you post some here again

Knaek&Break
               Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:11pm
Looks like a "GALAXIIDAE" to me John, a ancient looking native fish found up that way, years back I caught a few on bait in Tumut River.
See here-
http://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/family/126

Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:55pm
Has the right shape Pete
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 11:19pm
Three of us from the local fishing club released approx 40,000 brown trout fry into the local creeks and rivers in the area recently.

Just back from Tantangara today water rising after our recent heavy rain event up here,

Went up with a visitor to the area, both of us caught  five each, massive improvement from the past two months fishing, all caught on lures ,also stayed to fly fish but no insects therefore no movement on top.

Interesting fishing in some of the shallows. Water covering a good coverage of green grass.

Left a couple of trout with some visitors from Canberra to smoke.

Regards John

Couple of smaller trout caught and released

Tantangara today point starting to disappear

Islands in/near centre of lake under water at the moment.

Upper reaches Murrumbidgee private property

Brown trout fry getting ready to be released.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 2:53pm
Great surroundings Pete, love that areaThumbs Up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:35pm
Rapid rise in water level at Tantangara over night.

Fish are on the chew but fish losses increasing due to thorns, weeds, and dead bushes hindering landing.

No doubt lure haven when water drops.Wink

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:41pm
And you will be there when it does drop too?Wink

That is a rapid rise with that point now an island compared to the previous photo you took of it.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:20am
Plenty of small fish moving in the shallows.

Bait scoring a number of fish.

Decided to leave earlier last night as weather / wind strong and the previous night, no activity at all on the fly.

Water still continues to rise rapidily

Local fishing club had the weekend up at Tantangara. I travelled daily plenty of wild life on the roads,
slow speeds required.

Last night weather clearing, very heavy dew experienced in the mornings I was told from those camping in their bunkers.

Dam in background ,tunnel to Lake Eucumbene to the right. Tops of grass only left on island .

Too difficult to wade to point, I did not try yesterday.

Regards John

Two nights ago

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:24am
John did you try where Fred was camping ?

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:41am
No  Dave only on the other side, facing the dam, 

Still very boggy in some area , a club member pulled a visitor out yesterday venturing into an area off track and not checking the water seeping through the ground.

Lucky for him that we were up there.

A 20 kilometer walk out to the highway as you know to seek help.

Regards John

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 4:14pm
You don't want to get stuck there, start walking at night 20 kms and you never know who or what you come acrossLOL 

Always check with a local before going there,just ask screaming reel he knowsWink

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 10:32am
After our recent rain event.

Two photos prior to rain falling  and yesterdays update.  .

Note also island formed in back ground left.

Fishing dropped off up there, fish searching on bottom and bait fishing doing well.

Insect activity virtually   zero last few days.

Another zero result last night on the fly and lures..

Still rising slowly at the moment.

Regards  John

Current height last night.  Road improved dramatically.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 11:34am
Fly fishing around that newly formed island should produce shouldn't it John? With all of the drowned insects, critters?

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 9:33pm
The bait fisherman have done alright  there Martin.

Lures and flies are catching the tops of the grass at the moment.

Also the fish are being lost on the fly running into the growth.

The slope is a little dangerous at the moment to wade and net, shortly, it should level out a bit and we will be able to miss the ruts in the tracks for safer footing.

Frogs are very plentiful but no eggs showing up yet.

No beetles or moths at this stage, in any numbers

Hope to have another day trip shortly.

Anybody thinking of coming up and trying their luck at Tantangara , Check the lake  level and see if you need to back your car down the road.

We have had some entertaining sights from the  camp ,vehicles and boats driving down and no where to go and having to back up , Took one guy a good 20 minutes. I would not have liked being a passenger in that car.

A further incident a  trailer and vehicle blocked the road, also  blocked the entrance to the water and the guys had to back back, did ruined his day/trip.

He eventually walked back down the road and video the parking arrangement, not sure what his intention was with the taping.

He waited around for sometime no doubt to have a few words with the guy with the selfish parking arrangements. But they arrived back very late.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:15am
Just checked  BOM  water storage site Tantangara and Eucumbene still holding winter rainfalls and snow melt. at the moment.

Last year they started taking water end of Oct.

tried a bit of Bass fishing for the first time yesterday as a couple of mates took their boats down to a fresh water spot and camped. I drove down and returned late in the evening 

Lucky to find a 41,5cm bass ,good fighters. (Spikey Bastards)   Plenty of smaller ones released, healthy fishery.

Water temperature reached 28.40 on sounder

Now need to find some decent trout, grasshoppers increasing in numbers. Tantangara with its grassy banks and higher water level should be the go.

Regards John

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:46am
Congrats on the Bass John. Thats a nice one Thumbs Up

Knaek & Break 
                 Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:24pm
A good bass for your first outing chasing them JohnThumbs Up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:15am
Just curious.

Anybody happen to venture up to our smaller lake district and do battle on the trout over the recent holiday period.

Any success.

Today or tomorrow on BOM should confirm that the water has commenced to be taken from Lake Eucumbene.
Been a good week since I last attempted to find a trout.

All local reports still appear to be poor. Three local boats went out last Monday without raising a fish.

Will make an effort this week to do battle once again. Intend checking Tantangara as well.

Should have mentioned on the very high areas we had a light dusting of snow yesterday morning.

On the local web cams for viewing.

Two or three days earlier we experienced mid 30's temps but dropped down mid teens over night

Had between 5 c  to 7c  last couple of nights. Cold strong southerlies came through.

Regards John

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>
  Share Topic