LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:52pm
But wait, we have more.

Bill Carracatsanoudis caught his first barra at 62 cm on a Chinese imitation Classic lure - no photo. He caught another 2 on a soft plastic once they went deep on a snag. The rest were on Headland Lures made by Cam Cupitt.

My first barra was on this little lure given to me by Richo. I'm hoping he can remind me who made it - Stephen repainted it.

We did quite a bit of exploring for future trips. Here is Hann River. Rodsdncods stayed here for a while many years ago so enjoy Mick.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:38am
An other great report Martin. 
Great to see Verlons Lures in action. Sure he will be pleased
Knaek & Break 
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:26am
Great report Martin. Thanks for sharing. Regards Chris 
All my braids gone!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:11am
i'd like to be there a couple of weeks after a flood martin. there were some good fish caught when we were there.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:39am
some good fish there Martin you are a very good GuideThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:37pm
Planning a mid week solo session - but only if the days get warmer. Normally I don't like going alone in case something happens. I'm more scared of snake bites then anything else. Even though I'm heavy footed and the snakes get plenty of warning, death adders don't move but strike once you stand on them.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:01pm
Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday are so far looking good for the reef...... I'm hoping the weather holds.
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 6:36am
I will be heading out to the dam in a week or so martin, so a swap of reef fillets for cod or/and yella fillets sounds good ......mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

I will be heading out to the dam in a week or so martin, so a swap of reef fillets for cod or/and yella fillets sounds good ......mick

Will have to see what happens Mick. Weather still looking good for Sat and Sunday with maybe Friday afternoon now.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:18am
Put the boat in the water yesterday 1.5 hours early. With the winds easing off as predicted, it was going to be a very busy boat ramp. Even at 4.30 am there was a line up. Once the boat was in, I started up the motor- no tell tail, water was not pumping through. I tried poking a piece of wire down the vent a few times starting it up each time but at the most a very slight dribble.            A call to Scotchndry to let him know that the reef trip was off. Ed and his wife thankfully ended up getting a spot on his brother in law ‘a boat.            With all of the boats being launched, it was over two hours waiting by then to get my boat out.             A meeting with Mike on the wharf and now , today, I am picking him and Miranda up to fish Lakefield. Hopefully the water has heated up from the hot day yesterday and the cool night last night wasn’t going to have a great effect on the water temperatures
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:54pm
Well Mike pulled out of today's fishing at Lakefield but Miranda was still  keen. 

It took a while for the day - and the fishing, to heat up. I was using a Mark A Lure Creeky Bait and Miranda was using a Ray Murphy lure. I scored one tarpon and 6 minature barra. Miranda, on her second day fishing ever - a 28 cm barra and a 65 cm barra which she fought and landed before I could get to her. Miranda had a great day and is keen to go again. Mike had better start planning a trip there with her as I'll be heading south to Brisbane at the end of the week and she wants to go again - very keen.

Now some photos

Now just some of mine. This Mark A Lure has taken a beating

Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:52am
Always great to se female "fishermen" in action
Thanks fore sharing 
Knaek & Break in the future to Miranda Thumbs Up
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 9:42am
Back from Brisbane this week. I didn't miss much with the weather staying pretty much windy as it was 5-6 weeks ago. Pretty much only the bigger boats have been able to get out.

The locals have told me that the fishing in general (using mainly bait) had improved with the yearly run of herring in the river with the big fish chasing them. But that bait run has been pretty small this year compared to most.

Still a couple of weeks for the barra season so I'll try to get back up to Lakefield National Park a couple of times before that.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 3:38pm
I haven't been fishing much lately. Been on the road again, looking at possibly settling in my own place somewhere else other then Cooktown. Found a few areas I'd like to explore the possibilities more - when I can get back on the road again.

Also the weather - wind, still hasn't let up much and it seems like I didn't miss out on anything wind wise while I was away.

Over the weekend we had the Cooktown fishing comp. It's a secret weight competition for the barra and the weight is drawn out after the weigh in. A limit of 3 fish maximum each for barra and mangrove jacks with the maximum size of barra contained to 90 cm. A 97 cm fish was weighed in but disqualified and an undersized barra was also disqualified.

Bill Caracatsanoudis arrived on the day before the comp from Innisfail and camped overnight. Cam Cupitt from Headland Lures and his girlfriend Ada came up on the Friday - the first day of the comp with the weigh in closing at noon Sunday.

Once we were ready we headed off to Kalpowar Crossing - camping site at Lakefield National Park. Before we set up camp we went to "secret spot number 1 for an afternoon session. Ada caught her first fish on a lure, then another 4 with 2 of them being legal and weigh in contenders. Cam caught a few (not sure how many) with only 1 legal fish. Bill caught 2 small fish and I caught - well it was a good walkEmbarrassedLOL

Next day Mike and Miranda caught up with us at the camp site and we all headed off to "secret spot number 2"". Unfortunately Miranda missed out completely and Mike couldn't land a legal fish to weigh in.

Cam and Ada added to their tallies to weigh in 3 fish each and Bill and myself finally got into fish and we also had 3 fish each to weigh in. I tried large stick baits for most of the day as I needed the extra weight in the lure to access the fallen timber and lillies on the opposite bank. I ended up scoring a 63 cm barra on a Vicious Fishes stick bait and our biggest fish of our group- a 75 cm barra on one of Wal Muffett's Illusion Lure 16 cm stick baits. Both lures were lost, then retrieved with another lure, then both snagged into heavy snags on the opposite bank then lost for good. 

Apart from the 2 fish on stick baits, all the rest were caught on Cam's lures (don't yet have all the photos from the others) (Mike and Miranda used other lures apart from stick baits and Cam's lures). Bill got 2 of his fish on one of Cam's sub surface stick baits. As it was overcast, with a few drops of rain, we were not really expecting the fish to hit anything but deep divers so this was mainly Cam's and Ada's game plan. All in all both plans worked so we were all happy.

As it turned out, the secret weight drawn was at the top end of the scale at 6.8 kilos so the biggest fish without going over 90 cm won the prize of a fully fitted out 4.2 metre Quintrex Renegade side console.

For 4 years now this competition has been run. The first 2 years the drawn out weight was under 3 kilos. Last year and this year the drawn weights were both over 5 kilos. A special prize was given to a bloke who caught and released a 130 cm barra.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 3:54pm
Some photos now-
Cam and Ada with their catch on the first day

Wal's lure after I rescued it

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 4:02pm
Sorry, I don't know why my photos are not coming out the right way. 

A croc of more then 4 metres followed this barra in, then it hung around close to the bank.

Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 10:44am
Surprized to here you're thinking of leaving Cooktown HH? Thought you had found your Eldorado? If you're into the reef fishing big time those trades blow for months, limiting your options, are you thinking further south around Cairns?
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 1:50pm
Thinking of further south still. I have a good mate in Townsville but liking the Ingham area 
Martin-

scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 5:51pm
Townsvilles even more humid than here Marty ,better stay here mate.
Ed.McC
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 8:01pm
so fkn jealous x
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by scotch&dry scotch&dry wrote:

Townsvilles even more humid than here Marty ,better stay here mate.
.         Looking for a place to buy and there’s some great sounding properties further south. I may have to get a part time job eventually and there’s more chance of that closer to a bigger population area 
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:15am
In that case you can't go past Cairns, I'd move there in a heart-beat, but after 35yrs. here I couldn't get the missus to move, all her friends and our son is here. Goodluck wherever you settle.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Seaweed Seaweed wrote:

In that case you can't go past Cairns, I'd move there in a heart-beat, but after 35yrs. here I couldn't get the missus to move, all her friends and our son is here. Goodluck wherever you settle.
Seaweed.
.         Unfortunately property in Cairns is too expensive for me.  I have a few ideas to explore around Cooktown first though.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 5:28pm
Keeping an eye on the weekends weather . This morning the weather apps said that Saturday and a Sunday were going to be good. Now it’s only Saturday that I may be able to get out.                                        I was talking to a game boat captain who stated that the water has been too cold for our usual run of mackerel. Only this week there has been mackerel caught off the wharf here- some good spotties. Usually we get Spanish, spotty and school mackerel off the wharf from August onwards.. Hopefully the water has warmed up for the next time I can get out.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 8:26pm
Well the weather been okay today but still blew up higher than what it should have. Instead of glassed out conditions all day we ended up at some pretty big swells. I took Rob out fishing He has never caught a cold trout on a lure before. We ended up getting a lot of small reef fish on Per Johannsen’s lures. Both Rob and I got busted off each using Per’s lures. Rob got a nice 42 cm coral trout and a queen fish we were hit by Mackerel on the way back but did not hook up.      Tomorrow is supposed to be another calm day but by the looks of the swell coming in through the river I don’t think I’ll be going out.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 8:59pm
I also got a couple of small reefies on Cam Cupitt's Headland Lures. Here is a pretty good stripey of about 40 cm. Something else also thought it would be a good meal.

These fish now are some caught on Per's lures.

no matter wht way I orientate the photo before I download it, it still comes out wrong. I may have to stop using my phone for photos.
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:01am
some good fish there though Martin even with the cold waterThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:09am
Thanks fore giving my Lures a go on your spesies Martin
Hope thy stand to pull the big one out off the reef one day Thumbs Up

Knaek & Break 
             Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 11:30am
Went out to the reef last Thursday (internet issues - very slow at times in Cooktown) with Rob again. On the troll out Rob scored a nice 68 cm spotty mackerel on a Halco Scorpion. I dropped a bigger spotty right beside the boat using a Wade Garland made Whiptail jewfish lure. Closer towards the reef I scored a 120 cm spanish mackerel on a deep diving Illusion Lure Wedgetail.

On the reef we went over to Per Johannsen's lures and caught a variety of small reef fish on his timber and spoon lures. As it was a bad tide (high tide at 11 am, I like to lure the shallow reefs on the last half of the run out tide), we decided to troll back before the predicted increase in wind speed.

On the way back home Rob trolled up another good spotty mackerel on the Halco again and another on one of Per'stimber deep diver (Rob's new favourite lure - nobody else is allowed to use it in case they loose itLOL).

I was able to get alongside a working school of mack tuna and got Rob to use my rod with one of Per's spoons on it and cast into the middle of the school. Result was a very nice mack tuna - his first tuna ever, that made Rob chase it around the boat a few times.

One of Rob's fish on the Halco thrashing water off it's body.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 11:40am
More photos

My 120 cm spanish mackerel on the Wedgetail

Fish on Per's lures

an undersized coral trout

a stripey, otherwise known as a Spanish Flag

The mack tuna

a 65 cm spotty mackerel

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 11:55am
A quick flick yesterday afternoon with the same spoon as Thursday. Nothing much happening but I did manage this little barracuda.

I'm watching the winds for tomorrow, may be able to get out for a quick trolling run on the mackerel.

Martin-

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:20pm
Nice Marty, Per will be happy 👍
Cheers Steve R  !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 3:48pm
good job martin got a good variety going on there mate
Ed.McC
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 4:13pm
I've got the cod fillets, where's my redthroat/coral trout/nannygai fillets???????.....mick
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 7:05pm
This tread is becoming better and better LOL
sounds like Rob have taking a fancy on the deep diver. Is it one particular color that works 
Great to see the Spoons in action
Thanks fore using and sharing 

Knaek & Break
               Per

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 50>
  Share Topic