LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:05pm
i just watched a Pat calinan 4x4 show on TV and he was at the Annand river, he may have inadvertantly persuaded people to come and meet your crocShockedErmm
that's no how ye make porridge!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:27pm
Good luck trying to see it unless you sit there all day hidden, as soon as he hears a vehicle or sees somebody - he is off, but he is very well known.

For about 3 weeks we had a 12 footer swimming around the mouth, in front of the wharf and boat ramp, until he decided to go back home (somewhere).
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:00pm
Well to say that I outfished Wal today is technically correct. He caught 4 fish and I caught five - but Wal's are biggerConfused

Wal - 126 cm cobia, about a 60 cm gold spot cod, a large ocean long tom and a 50 cm coastal (coral) trout on his Illusion Lures.
Me - 2 stripeys (Fugly Martin's Minnow), an undersized spanish mackerel (Murphy mackerel lure, no photo), a large bludger trevally (Fugly Martin's Minnow) and my biggest coral trout at 62 cm (Headland Lures popper).

Wal's cobia

Gold spot cod

Long tom

Coral trout

My coral trout, this thing moved so much water when it hit the popper, both Wal and I thought it was a giant trevally

Bludger trevally, this hit my Martin's Minnow just after I was bitten off on a new deep diving version of a Martin's Minnow before I had a chance to catch a fish on it. Wal and I put the bite off down to a small barracuda as there were a few about. I promised Chris that I would get a trout on the deep diver but ..... smelly stuff happens.

The biggest of the stripeys, the other was to small to photograph

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:10pm
OK Wal just reminded me, he also caught a remora - so we tied???Wink

No, he outfished meLOL

Martin-

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
If Wal caught the cobe and you'd caught all the rest I'd still rather have been him
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:34pm
Wal Wal Wal he seems to have perfected the are of out fishing you one way or another
But jezz in each of your pictures your smile keeps getting bigger, go`es to show Size is not everything
Keep it up always enjoy a read about the days exploits
Kimo

hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:41am
keep fishing & you'll keep smiling mate !!! WinkWink
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Kimo Kimo wrote:

Wal Wal Wal he seems to have perfected the are of out fishing you one way or another
But jezz in each of your pictures your smile keeps getting bigger, go`es to show Size is not everything
Keep it up always enjoy a read about the days exploits
Kimo

Wal is a very good fisherman, always thinking, always trying something new and actually fishes till he drops or about to drop. No shame in being outfished by him, but his knowledge is rubbing off on me - soon the grasshopper will outfish the masterWinkLOLLOLLOL
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:16am
fkn big grasshopper!!!! good onya martin. you coming down for the one lure comp in march?.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:30pm
Just give up Martin, Wal wins only because his beard is longerLOLLOLLOL
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

fkn big grasshopper!!!! good onya martin. you coming down for the one lure comp in march?.....mick

Would like to Mick but I  have a few comps up here I'll be entering with friends.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

aarrrrhhhhh but mine is thicker ........ does that count?Confused
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:16pm
Last chance to take my brother in law out before he starts his school bus run - and also because I can outfish him (at last, somebody to outfishBig smile)

Wayne - 3 undersized spotty mackerel, no photos (using plastic lures, that's why I beat himWink)
Me - 2 small wire netting cod (no photo) on a Steiny lure, a 103 cm cobia, 2 spotty mackerel (one photo) and an undersized one, a 56 cm coral trout, a big bludger trevally (no photo) and a small barracuda all on a Murphy mackerel lure that was taken from me when IO got hit by something big that broke my wire trace (single strand 27 pound wire).

cobia

a Horrorhead

one of the spotty mackerel

coral (coastal) trout

Te (Ray) Murphy lure

barracuda

If you can get any of Ray's mackerel lures, get them. I lost a similar one a couple of weeks ago to a big something. That lure was also hit by big mackerel and had raised me a big cobia that I lost beside the boat.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:20pm
A close up as to how much that trout wanted that lure

Martin-

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:49pm
Way to go Martin
Iv never caught a Cobia nor a Trout to that capacity
But those Mackies sure know how to destroy lures
Kimo
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:49pm
You only won Martin because your poor brother in-law has no beard and thanks for the colours for the dog critters tooThumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:04pm

You only won Martin because your poor brother in-law has no beard and thanks for the colours for the dog critters tooThumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave

HA HA Dave, I think my sister would unleash her wrath on Wayne f he grew another beardLOLLOLLOL.
No worries about that colour schemeThumbs Up
Martin-

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:27pm
Great colours on the trout Martin!
Enjoying the pics, thank you Thumbs Up
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:22am
Those lures are getting plenty of exercise Martin. Great thread mate.

Any  lures reaching the stage where they need to rest in Nicho's  roof . (Final resting area)

Regards  John

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:50pm
They must be bloody good lures , if I`m reading right the fish have started to collected a couple.
So they are collectible
Kimo
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:55pm
Well I got lucky today. I saw a bloke using the first one of these earlier this week (I bought 2 exactly the same off Ray) that I lost last week. I spoke with him and he found it on the north shore beach. He offered to give it back. I refused saying that I lost it and he found it so it was his. Yesterday afternoon I told him of the fish I caught on it's brother and how I lost that one as well. Today he insisted on giving the first one back, so now it is back in my tackle boxBig smile.

Wal told him that he will find it on the beach again soon as I will lose it againLOL
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:21pm
A session on the rocks this morning. The rivers are too dirty at the moment due to all the rain up here, and the weather too rough to head to the reefs. But some of the local headlands are far enough away from major water courses so they have remained relatively clear. Mind you, the dirty water will still hold fish and there were bust ups in the coffee colored liquid.

Anyway, Wal's first cast was resulted in a hit as soon as the lure splashed down - caught Wal by surprise and he missed the hook up.

I  had a few fly byes passed my popper and a massive boil, but by 7 am, it was all over.

An earlier start tomorrow I think.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 6:54pm
Tried a few times down the wharf in the coffee coloured water. One time Wal hooked up to a big barramundi that straightened his trebles. I had a big barramundi that busted up my popper then promptly cut me off on his gill spikes. A few other half hearted hits and follows.

Even though the conditions are not too good at the moment, we need more rain to give us a proper wet season. Last real good wet season was about 20 years ago.
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

aarrrrhhhhh but mine is thicker ........ does that count?Confused
i recon Martin is catching up to Wal beard wise but that is Wals secret,Martin has obviously deduced that the bigger the beard the more fish you catch .Ihave noticed more and bigger fish caught by Martin of late,ahhhhh grasshopper!LOL
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 7:03pm
Wal and I hit one of the local headlands for a couple of hours. I got hit right at the water's edge by a 20 kilo giant trevally but no hook up. Will try again very soon.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:25pm
Guess who outfished Wal todayBig smileBig smileBig smile.

I hit the rocks this morning  for nil result but a slash off a mackerel leaving some tooth marks in the lure (one of Wal's Wedgetails).

In the afternoon I returned with Wal. On the same lure IO scored this golden trevally, and Wal scored a small golden snapper (on a Jester of the same colour) which was released.

This was my view this morning.

My golden trevally-

Wal's golden snapper-

Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 3:41pm
Good on you horrorhead with that golden beast👍 Moving house soon and without internet. Be off and on with mobile but too small to see the words🙄😆
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 7:33pm
Make sure you let me know your new address mateThumbs Up
Martin-

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 11:22am
Looks more like a Jack, Martin. At this size Fingermark or Golden Snapper usually have a more pronounced spot, up here at least.
Seaweed.
Nice Golden Trev by the way.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 8:18pm
Well the boat had been out of the water for a little while. The outboard needed a service and a new fuel re-line. The fuel line was de-laminating on the inside sending bits plastic into the system. But when it was ready - well we didn't get much.

BUT I BEAT WAL - I got 6 barracuda and Wal got 1 out of the 2 trips he hadLOL

I got my 'cuda on a Headland Lure. Wal put his back in on his lure tempting one of the bigger cudas (close to 2 meters long) that were chomping through some of them. One cuda took his "bait" and another bit his trace off at the swivel.

We had multiple takes by big mackerel - amazing how they can leave teeth in the lures without hooking up and without feeling it through the line.

I used a Fugly Martin's Minnow in an attempt for a coral trout. I got hit big time and was bullying it to the boat over reef. It found a bommie to duck into and reefed me. I also trolled a Bryan Power's "CODPION" before it to managed to spit out the lure. But it left some very deep marks in the lure. We don't know what hit this lure as the teeth marks were obviously from very blunt teeth and were spaced quite far apart. I am thinking maybe a tusk fish?

Martin-

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 8:36pm
Definitely Cuda been worse Martin
Kimo
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Kimo Kimo wrote:

Definitely Cuda been worse Martin
Kimo

LOLLOLLOL yep LOLLOLLOL
Martin-

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 5:14pm
Mr horrorhead you are funny😆😆😆 Martin will send you  new address soon, not far from Mapleton😌
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 6:58pm
Thumbs Upcheers Dave, Mapleton is a nice area.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 7:24pm
With the waterways discoloured again and rough seas and many rock options out, some with flooded creeks in between. Our main option has been to hit the main basin. This meant mainly the wharf. This is fine by me as we needed to explore more options off the wharf anyway.

Over 3 nights we hit the mid night / early morning low tide. The amount of bait determined how switched on the fish were. First night, some bait so a few hits. Wal with 1 undersized rat barra.

Second night - hardiheads everywhere, but the barra and jacks were fixated on these only. Matching the hatch as best we could - me with 2 undersized barra. Wal with one just legal barra, dropped another as well as dropping a jack.

Third night - no bait. I had 4 barra "roll" under my lure for no hits.

All the fish were caught on Wal's 6 cm wedgetail lures.

Flash was off and it went unnoticed for a while. Me with my biggest barra - about 50 cm.

Wal with his 60 cm barra.

Wal's fish really wanted his lure.

Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 50>
  Share Topic