LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lures For YellowBelly????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lures For YellowBelly????
    Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:16pm
hi guys
i am not sure this is in the right section, but here goes....

i am keen to get out and chase some yellow belly in the local creeks and river systems as i have heard and seen them caught from there.......

but here is my prob i have never caught or targeted yella's before so have not got a idea on what lures to use and types of retrieves, from what i have seen on fishing dvd's deep diving smallish lures in purple or black and green seem to work a treat...
when casting them around timber and rock structure....

does this change when chasing them on ledges and trolling for them......

i will be going to big w the sarv to see what RMG's i can pick up that may suit....

any help will be greatly appreciated and put into use...

thanx and cheers Nick
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:37pm
The RMG Poltergeists are a good lure for Golden Perch , I especially like the BLOODNUT colour , Red body black head  Big smile  So are the Berkley Frenzys Shads . Any lure  in the 50-70 mm size in varying depths will work Smile  Oar Gees ,  Stumpjumpers etc .
  I got this fella on a Berkley Firestick suspending  minnow at Windamere  a month or two ago Big smile

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:41pm
Hi nick, I've always found anything pink turns them on..WinkWink
and John Knol's made a lure called el nino that was a dark green dirty frog
colour . we caught 35 yellas one day  just before christmas at Windamere dam
started using pink lures and progressed to the dirty frog later in the day...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:06pm
Thanx for your help fellas, will definitly use it, i will get some RMG poltergeist from big w the sarv (if they have them) 

thanx Nick

btw that is a awesome yella mate..
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:22pm
Nick,
pm your address.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:33pm
why do you want my address???

cheers Nick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:49pm
thats a fair question Nick...good to see.Clap

I will make you a lure for yellowbelly that I know works and send it to you.
Good to see you kids so keen on fishing, happy to encourage you a bit more.
Will pm MY PH NO to you if your parents want to give me a call first thats cool,
Id do the same thing with my lad.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:52pm
thanx mate, greatly appreciated 

PM sent

thanx Nick
cornboy888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornboy888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 8:39pm
Hello Nick.   My go to lure in creeks and dams is a spinnerbait.  They do not get snagged as often as a hard body lure.  Work them down around the snags and you will be alright .  Tight lines    Chris 
NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:39pm
thanx fellas, went into big w the sarv and grabbed 2 RMG poltergiests 50 for 8 bucks one is fluro green and the other is blood nut, will see how they go...

thanx Nick
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:33am
I have two colours in my range of lures for goldens black and dark black.
David
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:41am
Nick, anything that is 60 - 100mm in the body will do for Yellowbelly, and a shape like a small Cod lure should be fine. also consider some shallower divers if you are hitting the rivers and larger creeks.
My faves would be about the size of Manns 10+ lures. Something with a nice strong action and good flotation for backing out of snags.
Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:31am
75mm stumpjumpers are good yellow and black if you can find them,we got a 6kg yellow on one of my creations once it was purple stripes over gold bodyWink
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 3:27pm
WHATS ya fav lure 4 YELLAS BOYSWinkWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smile
Padgey View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Power Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 4:19pm
yellow + black,(banana color)WinkWinkand fav cod lure, also done well on red + white, that's on my 70mm NORUM which is a bass lure as well
HANDCARVED and HANDMADE TIMBER LURES
Patto_28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patto_28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 4:58pm
Kuttafurra Lure in Tequlia Sunrise will do the job nicely :) stoked with this 580mm whopper. Big smile
Cheers

Pat
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 5:16pm
NICE LURES nice yella patto well done boysClapClapClapClapClapTongueTongueTongueregards bob
Patto_28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patto_28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 5:45pm
thanks bob Smile
forgot to mention that the maker of Kuttafurra Lures is on here. his username is Fletch.
Cheers

Pat
chooka44 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chooka44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 5:46pm
Spinnerbaits are deadly on yellas young fella and are reasonably well priced as well. I've had a lot of success on white with gold blades. Play around with retrieves and depths when letting them sink. Don't be afraid to throw them at the ugliest looking spots where you fish. Try and lose your lure with every cast and you should catch some fish. By that I mean don't be afraid of snags or rocks etc.

Have fun whilst doing it, cheers
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 5:58pm
Interested too!
Will be (hopefully) visiting Jeff's waters, this season.
Well done Patto, nice fish and Yes! Kattafurra are TOP SHELF Products!!!
Chris, that Purple over Gold,,,,,, such an ODD combination, works Excellently on the local Lizards & Bass!
Have seen a LOT of fluro colour combinations on Tackle Shop walls, but that is where they seem to stay.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
feralbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feralbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 6:19pm
My 1st lure of choice on yellowbelly is yellow body with black.
Once you find them stay in the area, there will usually 1 more at least, I find they tend to travel in pairs.
Cheers, John.
Work hard, party hard
fishman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 7:58pm
Hi Nick, I have fished the Condamine River near Warwick for 20 plus years for yellas. I have used and lost numerous types/brands of lures. My fishing comprises of trolling and casting the deeper locations, any areas greater than 8 feet.The most successfull  has been the stubby Manns 10 or 15 ft plus in black and silver. Hope this helps. Cheers Ian
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 9:21pm
MANNS great trolling lures them viper vbass go very good on the yellas tooBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 8:48pm
Spinnerbaits,little deep diving lures all have their days but my favourite yellybelly lure is the gold/black jackall in 60mm size.Was catching yellowbelly around 3-4 kilos on them everyday after the 2010 floods in the Queanbeyan river.Was easy to catch them in the middle of summer but when the water started to cool only people on bait was catching them as they didnt want to expell to much energy chasing food or lures but then one night i read on the jackall website that when the jackall lure is allowed to sink to the bottom it sits head down with arse up wiggling.This action imitates fleeing baitfish trying to get under rocks.Anyway with the water cooling i tried this method and the yellowbelly would pick the lure up off the bottom and eat it,hooking themselves in the process.Now to catch a yellowbelly without retrieving a lure that must rate high as the hook themselves without you doing nothing but setting the hooks.Anyone else know this secret?
THE CODFATHER
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 8:57pm
This is one i was talking of
THE CODFATHER
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 9:14pm
This is my girl and even she catches fish on jackalls.I only put the rod down to have a drink and this is not funny.
THE CODFATHER
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 10:45pm
Jay, used to do the same with our take on Skirted Jigs. There used to be some jigs heads moulded in a stand up head shape. We would then put a spinnerbait skirt on them then a T tail or curly tail grub over the hook. Cast them out, let them sink, give them an occaisional hop and let lie in between letting the water current do the work.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 10:59pm
Very interesting Darby and thank you for your reply.Biggest yellowbelly i ever caught went 60cm on a spinnerbait i must admit.This is a Googong yellowbelly and it is a monster
THE CODFATHER
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 11:02pm
Googong yellowbelly
THE CODFATHER
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 11:37pm
Some nice fish there

Aldi has the fish grips on sale this week

Regards John
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 8:40am
Padgeys No Rum is a very good cod and golden perch lure , he caught these at wivenhoe dam , no big bass yet but they will come, cheers pearcey
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:01pm
Big W, Aldi Shocked I left you guys alone for a week and ya sold out to the multi nationals LOL Deception Shrimps go alright on Yella's, if you can lever them out of Lure Nuts tackle box Wink
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 4:38pm
I've caught more in the past on the smallest plastic boomerang than any other lure. I'm a fan of fishing timber lures a lot more now, but if I had to pick a lure that I was happy to trash and buy again, the boomerang would be it.
4theloveoffishing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4theloveoffishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 8:24am
Mine would have to be the oar gee lures red and black and the pink and black
Trotts View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 6:27pm
Knolls Native's would have to be right up there with the best Callop Lures iv used for our area of the River Murray.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic