LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint Question
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 6:39pm
  OK , I use Auto acrylics through my air brush gun .  I usually just decant into the jar and spray away . What I have noticed ,. is that I get a Matt finish  . Is this from too much pressure , not laying it on thick enough or what ?  It all looks good when I apply the Clear from a can , but I would like to see it glossy from the air brush . Any suggestions ?  Smile
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 6:57pm
Jeff, you could try a reducer/thinner for gloss finishes. I get the same 'satin' finish even with GP Acrylic Thinners to replace what 'flashes' off when you decant from aerosol can. The satin doesn't seem to make any difference once the clear goes on.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:16pm
  So I am being too pedantic and shouldn't worry  again LOL    I'll just use that clear to make 'em shiny  WinkLOL
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:31pm
Thumbs Up

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 8:54pm
Hi Jeff, try mixing a little clear into your paintWinkWinkWinkWink....pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:35pm
Jeff

There may be a couple of reasons for the dull finish.  Only use Premium Thinners because General Purpose Thinners can give a poorer finish.

The most likely reason is, probably, because you haven't thinned the paint enough. You are probably close to the right consistency, so don't go too heavy with the thinners.  This situation is particularly noticable with clear.

The other likely cause would be humidity.  Acrylic lacquers dry very quickly and 'suck' in moisture, giving a very dull sheen.  Black and clear are the worst, because they take on a 'milky' colour.  If this happens, try giving the lure a light spray with straight thinners.  60% humidity is my cut-off, which is why I've had trouble, this year, getting orders done on time.  Maitland and humidity are one of the same thing!Cry

Cheers

Travers
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 10:05am
Travers, you think you've got humidity problems, should try clearcoating up here!
I've overcome this by dip coating in an A/C room at 20 degrees, works for me.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 12:56pm
could be all the things the other guys said Jeff but could also be your paint isnt mixed  enough.
hey thats a good idea Tony,it gets humid here sometimes too ,will have to try thatThumbs Up
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

Travers, you think you've got humidity problems, should try clearcoating up here!
I've overcome this by dip coating in an A/C room at 20 degrees, works for me.
Regards, Tony.
Hi Tony.  Do you use acrylic lacquers to paint your lures?  If you dip the painted lures in clear acrylic lacquer, the clear would 'bite' into the paint and drag it as the clear drips off the lureConfused.

Always looking for a solution to my humidity problem!

Cheers

Travers
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:41pm
When I was making deceptions I had a big dehumidifier in the shed. Picked it cheap, it came from a telstra switch room. I could shut the shed up for 1/2 hour with it running then paint to my hearts content, even on the wettest night. Only problem was it worked so well you were constantly looking for a drink Wired
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 12:00am
AHHHHHH Lamp that explains some of those patterns Wink Laff

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 12:48am
another thinners drinker eh?WinkLOL
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:13am
Travers, don't have trouble with clear 'biting' into the colours, one thing I do though (found out through experience), is lightly spray coat any writing under the bib with pressure pack clear of same brand, a day before I dip clear finish. If you don't do this signatures will run, also hang lures from tow point to dry, other way around and you tend to get a tear-shaped buildup on the bib tip. I've seen this in production Elliots in the past, especially on the Darwin Darts. Easy to clean any drips off end tow eye when dry. Hope this helps, oh sorry, to answer your other question, I use all auto acrylics.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:11pm
Very Cold and wet here today and had to stop painting as a result.
Bilj
The older I get the more I learn.
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 8:26am

I just dragged this one up from 2011 as there is some good info about painting in Humidity. I was going to start a new thread, but did a search instead and came up with this - I want to do some painting, but the current humidity in Brisbane is 65 to 90%!!!!

Ideally I need a spray room in the shed, with air con and/or dehumidifier, - and to keep the dust out. But I think I will just have to wait for the humidity to drop for now - and do other jobs.

Any other painting in humidity tips welcome.

Cheers,

Matt
brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:13pm
Hi Jeff it is along time since i sprayed acrylic because we use 2 pack in the motor industry now . when the acrylic use to go milky as was mention earlier it was from cold weather and we called it Blushing . As for it going dull all acrylics will dull of to a degree . But if you recoat after a couple of days useing retarder thinnner you will get a good gloss from the acrlic clear This may help

Cheers brian
brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:41pm
Also Painting acrylic in rainy  & Humid weather will cause humidity blisters .
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 2:30pm
it sure does
that's no how ye make porridge!
Mr frosty View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr frosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:38am
Can i use 2 puk paint? Im about to start on my adventure in making lures and looking at the above posts wonder if 2 puk is any good?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic