LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Metals - Jigs, Spoons, Slices and Vibes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

0.8 mm stainless mig wire for small beetle spin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 0.8 mm stainless mig wire for small beetle spin?
    Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 5:17pm
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would recommend using stainless steel mig wire (0.8 mm) for bending river bass sized beetle spin forms. I wanna make quite a few but don't know how springy the stuff is and it's not cheap at $60 a kilo. I use 0.9 mm gal for my tow wires and I know that stuff is too soft.

I appreciate the advice on this guys.

Cheers,

Ces

Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 1:48pm
just giving this post a little bump as I'd like to get bending today for a trip tomorrow and Monday.

Thanks guys.

Ces
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 2:50pm
Ces, I've tried using .8mm Mig wire and find it a bit soft. Mason do make a stiff trolling wire that is quite springy. I now get my forms from Janns Netcraft, very cheap and they work OK. I'll post pics of my jig with one I just made and the two sizes of Janns. I can send you down a packet if you need some soon. Cheers Ian

Fysshe
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:38pm
Thank you Ian. That's exactly the information I was after and thank you for the pics of the jig and the tip on jann's.

I won't be going out to get the mig wire then. Thanks for the offer on some forms mate, I do appreciate it but I'm off tomorrow so probably won't work this time. Very generous of you though.

Thanks again mate.

Ces.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:53am
Mig wire is to soft for spinner baits you would need to run it through some wire straighteners to harden it up to where it would be useful 5 or 6 Times would do it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic