LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > New Zealand Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100 year old NZ spoon bait!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Milford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 year old NZ spoon bait!
    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:02am
This may even be over 120 years old and is a very well travelled old lure!

I collect many different types of antique lures, especially British Victorian/Edwardian metal baits and this one really has me intrigued.

This old spoon is a familiar 'Norwich pattern' type, identical to several I have that were sold by S. Allcock & Co at the turn of the 19th century. 

The amber glass eye, chased design and red/silver reverse is typical of the pattern. The eyes are secured by six clasps, indicative of lures made for Allcocks by James Gregory of Vyse St., Birmingham (close to the Aston Villa football ground).

The unique feature of this 2 1/2" spoon however, is that it is stamped 'S.J.TISDALL & Co ROTORUA'. (I would be very interested, if anyone knows of them?).

Allcocks were well-known as exporters of fishing tackle, so I suspect it originated in England, travelled round the word to the North Island - and has somehow found it's way back to Blighty. (If only they could talk?).

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:14pm
Very nice Spoon, and yes what a story it could tell Big smile
Pleace share more off the Spoons you have. I for sure like to see Smile

Knaek & Break 
            Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic