Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Powell Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Kaditchas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Kaditchas
    Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
For those members who ordered 2012 Kaditchas, it looks like I'm only slightly behind the expected completion time rather than being 2 months late, like I was last year.  Still got a couple to carve.  I've had 2 cancelled orders, with one of those now taken.

This year I set the maximum number of 2"/3" pairs of Kads at 20, and I have no plans to increase the number beyond 20.  In 2009, I had a limit of 10 Sets, 2010 was 15 Sets and 2011 was also 15 but ended up being 16 Sets.  I always keep Sets #1 & #2, to give to my kids and grand kids, and these are done as 'nudes'.

As you can see from the photo, there were a couple of orders for 4", 5" and 6" Kads.

I tried to start undercoating the lures this morning but the howling westerly gale and heat put an end to that.  Hopefully, I can get the first coat on tomorrow and be ready to paint during the week of Australia Day.

As you can see, the 2" Kads are carved from Australian Red Cedar and Brown Beech - both quality lure timbers.

Cheers

Travers
kris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:26pm
Looking good Travers! Very nice
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:38pm
Keen to see this lot .... Cheers aaron
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:54pm
Travers, nice looking blanks---I'm curious, what /why are there 2 different holes in the bib, is one a 'hummer'?
Pardon my ignorance.
Pete
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 7:01pm
G'day Pete

Photo tells the story.  The front hole is bigger to fit the small end of the tow wire through (and I have a very unsubstantiated theory that it may cause some water turbulence as it's pulled through the water, creating some interest from the fish Geek)

Those 2 Sets have now been taken. 

Cheers

Travers
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 7:55pm
Looks the bomb diggerdy  ..... Cheerz Errol
mdlures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
MD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdlures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 10:52pm
you've been busy Travers, as always - top shelf - love the mini kads Thumbs Up

cheers
Mark
MDlures
traditional hand carved fishing lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 10:55pm
nice Kads Powelly ,love the teeny weeny one in the top photo
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
Wink Crikey I don't know how I keep on missing out on these gems! travers put me down for a 2013 set please!!! When I rode harleys with the boys they reckoned I was A bit of a Boofhead so the name stuck embarrasing when your trying to chat a shiela up and someone wants to know where the "Boofhead" isLOLLOLLOL So in that vein mate if you ever want to carve one of those again I'll definitely jump at that....regards B.J.Wink
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:25pm
Very nice travers....look forward to seeing them completed mate...well done as usual ClapClap
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 7:20pm
5959well done buddy Clap
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 7:33pm

Clapnice as, top luresThumbs Up. Martin

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
lest_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lest_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 7:45pm

Very nice TraversClapClapClap....Cant waitThumbs Up

Cheers LES
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:20pm
I now have 10 orders for the 2013 Kads.  If any members are interested in ordering a Set, could you please send me a PM or email me (traverspowell@yahoo.com.au), rather than just request a set on this post. 

Cheers

Travers

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 6:18pm
Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans ........Cry.  I had finished undercoating the Kads on January 15th, went back to work on the 16th and had all of last week off work, so that I could paint the Kads and it rained, blew and was persitantly humid. Bugger.

Now I need all of the planets to align on a weekend, so that I can get these lures painted.

My apologies for the delay.  The La Nina is causing me moderate frustration, which is nothing compared to the massive amount of rain that some of you have had to tolerate in northern NSW and Qld.

Hopefully, we'll get a fine weekend soon. Big smile

Cheers

Travers
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 6:24pm
Get back to your cave Travers

And what colour are you painting my other big "Cod" lure . You must have ESP .
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:20pm
Had a little set back with some hair-line cracks in the undercoat, at the tail, of about 8 lures. My original suspicion was that the undercoat may have been getting a bit old but, on further research, I discovered that cracking can occur if the undercoat is too thick. I put 7 coats, rather than the normal 5 or 6 coats, on these lures. Because they are hung to dry, the undercoat is thicker at the tail end.  Maybe it was a combination of both.

The long and short of this problem is that I am now stripping all the undercoat off all the Kads, in this batch, and starting from scratch, despite the fact that I've found the undercoat on the uncracked lures to be sound.  Even the lures with the hairline cracks had sound, well attached undercoat on 90% of the lure.  Better to be safe than sorry, so it's a long slow process of sanding them back now.

Fortunately, I had one order for a pair of nude Kads, which was sent to it's new owner today.  I always do the first two sets as nudes and keep them for myself (to be passed on to the kids and grandkids). I also made a nude 4" Kad, this year.

My two sets and the 4" Kad.

2" Kads                                                                                    3" Kads

The cedar for the wider (32mm) Kad came from the front door of the old Tenterfield High School (1887) and the cedar for the narrower (29mm) Kad would have come from the Railway Hotel (1878), Armidale.  Alistair will be interested in the cedar used to make the 2" Kads.  It came from a piece of 'bush furniture' that a Tocal student made many years ago.  The cedar came from one of the trees in Windmill Paddock.  It is some of the darkest, grainy cedar that I've come across - not much fun to carve.

Thanks for the patience, and understanding, of all the members who ordered Kads this year.  It will be a slow process getting the 30 lures sanded back, but at least I will have full confidence that they will be sound and up to the standard that I set.

Cheers

Travers
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:57pm
Worth wainting every single moment to recieve them. Looking damn hot!
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:00pm
Don't normally like
Nudes that much but those two small Kads look pretty cool !

Just have to wait for me painted one.......... Now back to your cave Travers
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:02pm
Maybe a nice rare fillet and a big, big glass of duriff will ease your pain.

I know where you can get both - or will I deliver next trip on 17th March

wadey - chef and sommelier
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 9:47am
Mr wade was that smellier????????>?
David
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 10:02am
WinkAwesome travers very well done nudes!!!!!........B.J.
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:40pm
Google it Mr River Rover - Google it you uncouth sod.LOL
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 1:00pm
A few members have asked how the Kads are coming along.  Now that I have finished making lures for the Hunter Valley Caravan, Camping, 4WD and Fishing Show, I'l put all my efforts into the Kads.

I've already sanded back about a third of them.  It's a very slow process, but I'm getting there.

Photo, below, shows the current progress.

Cheers

Travers
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:07am

Will any of these be available at the Hunter Valley show this weekend?

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by saito saito wrote:

James

The Kads are only done in limited numbers and, generally, ordered 12 months in advance.  Only 20 Sets (2" + 3" Kads) are available for 2012 and all are taken. 

Only 20 Sets will be availble for 2013, with 17 Sets already ordered - still 3 available.

The lures available, this weekend, at the Hunter Valley 4WD Show can be seen at:

I do have a few 'special' lures,  but you have to turn up to find out what they are Wink.

Cheers

Travers
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Powelly Powelly wrote:

Originally posted by saito saito wrote:

I do have a few 'special' lures,  but you have to turn up to find out what they are Wink.

Cheers

Travers

No Fair Travers Tongue
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 2:32pm

Only 20 Sets will be availble for 2013, with 17 Sets already ordered - still 3 available.

PM sent

Cheers

Travers
I'm ditching my cousins birthday to head up and get my hands on some of these lures...Hopefully i have enough money to keep me happy LOL
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:24pm
Progress report for those members still waiting for their Kads.

I managed to finish 10 Kad Sets, earlier this week Big smile.  Only 5 more sets to go! I've sanded back 7, with 3 more to sand back, plus a few big Kads.  It will be a huge relief when they are all finished and I apologise for the unexpected delay.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before the final 5 sets are finished!

Cheers

Travers
dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:02pm
Nice work Travers, can't wait to see the close ups of some.The colours look excellentClap
gdm
codzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:30pm
Hey mate , love your work.
Please let me know what i need to do to be inline for
Your next available batch of kads.
Love one to complement my 2 3/4 inch nude newell trophy kad.
😃😃😃
Real pain !!!

Always has a pair of trebles

Attached .......
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 12:23am
As always Travers, top work! Clap
Love your lures and can't wait to get some more of them.

Really digging that gold set 59
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 9:36am
Originally posted by codzo codzo wrote:

Hey mate , love your work.
Please let me know what i need to do to be inline for
Your next available batch of kads.
Love one to complement my 2 3/4 inch nude newell trophy kad.
😃😃😃

Sorry codzo, all 20 of the 2013 Kad (2" & 3") Sets  have been ordered.  I'll put your name on the list, in case of cancelled orders.

Cheers

Travers
lest_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lest_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 12:00pm
   The wait was well worth it ClapClapClap....Excellent  set once again Big smileBig smileBig smile 
                                           Cheers LES
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by lest_55 lest_55 wrote:

The wait was well worth it ClapClapClap....Excellent  set once again Big smileBig smileBig smile 
                                           Cheers LES
Thanks Les, but this old, broken-down lure carver would be much happier if he didn't make you wait.  Maybe next year Big smile.

For the 5 members still waiting for their Kads, I finished sanding them back today and will try to get the first undercoat on tomorrow.

Still got a couple of 4", 5" & 6" Kads to sand back  -  they are next on the list.

Cheers

Travers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic