Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 way &12 volt FRIDGES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 way &12 volt FRIDGES
    Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 8:36am
AFTER some info &views on the way to go buying a 3 way or 12 volt fridge / freezer for me car &camping etc whats good&whats nots any tricks etc thank you????????????????WinkWinkWinkTongueTongueTongueTongueregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:36am
BOB,
As you know, I run a Chescold 3 way fridge/Freezer, at Camp.
I'm TOTALLY happy with the Unit.
The only issue I've ever had was in storage, Wasps/Hornets had made a mud nest in the gas inlet.

We have had this unit for about 8 years, so have some working numbers on gas use, freezing, etc.
Also have some useful tips for their use and continual upkeep.
1) We plug the unit into the 240V supply at home, a couple of days prior to leaving for camp.
    After 6 hours or so on high, check for cooling and freezing.
    Then pack with food/drink items that NEED to be kept frozen.
2) On preparing the vehicle and trailer, the day we leave, I place unit in trailer and plug into 12V system.
    This can be done easily, as I run a power cord through the trailer for this purpose.
    Now the unit will operate in transit.
    I also put a Breaker switch in the dash of tow vehicle.
    Power draw can be enough to make starting the vehicle difficult, after a stop or fuelling up.
    So we turn the unit off for period of stop, insulation is more than ample to allow this.
3) On arrival at camp, the unit is placed in the shade, near it's final placement, and connected to gas.
    This is temporary, as I like to create a Double Shaded and Vented corner under my big tarp.
    I also like this to be next to the kitchen area.
4) As mentioned above, frozen drink, usually water in plastic milk bottles, are prepared before leaving.
    These will be placed into the Eskys to keep beer cold, others will be filled and placed in freezer.
    This way, the fridge is not constantly raided, so keeps it's cool.
5) The pilot flame has never been extinguished when setup like this.
    The pilot can also be readily checked by looking for the reflection on the shielding tarp.
6) All steps above, provide for economical operation.
    I ALWAYS have a full, spare, 9kg gas cylinder, at camp(backup for cooking & lighting too).
    In Summer 2009, I stayed on Blacksmiths Beach for 36 days, on a single 9kg cyl. 
    Unit was opened once a day, after dark.
    For more frequent opening, I would have to turn the knob to a higher setting, using more gas.
    Safely, 16 Days on flat out does not empty a 9kg, 20 days surely would.
7) For transit home, we run the unit as we did for transit to camp.
    (nothing worse than the smell of something that has gone 'OFF' in heat and contained)
    Empty and clean out thoroughly at home.
    I use Mc Lintocks Vanilla Fresh, but any good cleaning is sufficient.
    I also place a plastic cap over the gas port now.
    Store on flat, hard flooring, protected from the elements.

These are simple points and generally common sense, will help you keep it running for a long time.

I can be contacted for pointers, anytime.

Cheers   MAL

DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 6:43pm
I have a Evacool 12/240 volt camp fridge. Gets down to -19 degrees up the cape in 38 degree heat AND has survived to T bone crashesLOL. Apparently the Icetech fridge freezers are made by Evacool and are much cheaper.

My brother bought a second hand Primus 3 way to keep his diabetic stuff cool. He works as a driller all over the place. He is really pleased with it. Urandangie hit over 40 degrees and it kept everything cool.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 8:04pm
EVACOOL have a new one out based on an engel styled fridge /frezza &half the price  ive been lookin at these alsoBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Flashshad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashshad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 9:18pm
I run my chescold on an inverter rather than 12volt. It seems to get colder and not as hard on the battery. When camped up I change over to gas.
One on fake is better than ten on bait!!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 5:34am
THAT sounds the go when your stoped with a 2way do you need solar panels to recharge the battery?????????regards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 5:53am
Inverters are 'new' to me.
Glad someone has some feedback on them.
Me-SIMPLE,,,,,,,,, Camp-SIMPLER!!!
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:45am
3 way fridges don't cut it up here in the build up or wet season, had chescold that was OK at christmas, inside the house, but not much chop outside,even in the shade.
Next I got a 40lt mobicool car fridge from k mart with no pice tag, I asked the kid how much, he scanned the barcode on the box and I paid $168 for it! I didn't expect much from it, but to my surprise it was great!
I used it in the back of my old bravo for a few years, never tried it in the boat, as it looked like it would rust very quickly, which led me to get a primus 60lt....

The primus was an impulse buy, I was going to get an engal 40lt, but for some reason, I went for a 60lt primus. It has a really thick lid which I liked, and a stainless body. Was a couple of hundred cheaper than the engal,but that's not why I got it, the lid and body were.
I'm really happy with it. Have done 2 five day trips in my tinny with it. It ran at 3 deg the whole time never missed a beat. I use a 100 amp hour hybrid marine battery. It draws. 0.7 amp per hour when set at 3 deg. I run the fridge at 0 deg the night before I go on house power, then hook it to my boat, it runs for about 8 hours before the boat motor starts to charge battery( cause its in the car when traveling,no duel battery)

Have also used it when black outs hit in the wet, 2 days at 2 deg, no worries, in the boat, in the driveway!

No hesitation recomending the primus.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 1:13pm
DAVE i think theres some heavy duty ones on the market like trailblazer from up north &national luna from south africa but i cant justify the high prices but dont want 2handBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 5:09pm
I also have a fold up Evacool 2  panel 100 watt solar kit - run it to a battery or batteries and run the fridge off those. A 60 amp hour battey will run the fridge all night and won't draw it down to any where near half charge - good for the battery. A 90 amp hour will run this fridge for 4 days straight but will flatten the battery. The panels run the fridge during the day, tops up the battery and then has power to spare.
Martin-

peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 8:19am
I spend a lot of time in nt , Ive had a 160 lt tucker box converted to 12 vlt, fitting a db50 compressor , Also a 40 and a 80 lt engel. The only issue you will have is setting them up right, The tuckerbox will draw up to around 8 amps the engels about 4, glass mat batterys and the right pannels will be needed and not cheep to set up , If you have power you don,t  need all this but then your independent , gas fridges just don,t work when it,s really hot, Just ok if your not in them and you have to keep them full, We have a 3way it works but i won,t rely on it anymore. Not from oct till end of march.  the big plus for your 3 way is you don,t need power or sun as long as you have enough gas, 9kg bottle should last about 15 to 18 days and keep it out the wind.
peter
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 6:12pm
The "ICETECH" fridges are exactly the same as the "EVACOOL" fridge / freezers but, at the moment, $300 cheaper - oh, the ICETECHs have an in built light.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic