Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > ACT Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8cm with Treeless Hook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8cm with Treeless Hook
    Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:07pm
Thought I might try the prawn hook arrangement reversed and fitted to a 8cm in a Trout colour. I was a bit worried about the weight balance as I have had a few problems since trimming this blank back a bit, no problem, swims nice with deep or shallow bib.
Still needs a clear coat, rain all day here.
Pete

Hook up:

Hook down:
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:59pm
Mate that's a piece of art
Love your work
Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:18pm
Looks great Pete
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:47pm
that's just like the sebile's set up Pete that'd be pretty tricky to nut out .
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:01pm
Awesome.  Is it spring loaded?  Or just reliant on weight of the hook sinking under?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 10:09pm
geezus pete...you are way in front...that is bloody brilliant....Clap
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 11:35pm
As always thanks for the reply's and compliments all, sometimes I'm humbled here beavering away---- I feel so lucky I have the time to do it.
[QUOTE=puglee62] that's just like the sebile's set up Pete that'd be pretty tricky to nut out .[/QUOTE]
Yes Chris--nothing new under the sun hey---I looked them up, gee they DO make a lot of variations but I eventually found it--I wish I had some of those "Tungsten  rubber weights".
On the weekend I did search 'weedless lures' and didn't find anything near it , but something close was a vibe someone has patented---------
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6651375.html  --- probably 'Sabile'  Confused and it IS "similar", and just as simple-- Mine,  the fish bites and forces the hook up and maybe engages with a lip--PATENTS, unfortunately not worth the paper it's printed on these days, not that I am going to flood the market with anythingLOL.

Ducks--"Awesome.  Is it spring loaded?  Or just reliant on weight of the hook sinking under? "
No mate just gravity but working on that, should be easy, even without "tungsten rubber weights" (see above)--
It's funny, the more I look at them (my recent 'prawn protos') the more faults I find, that's why I upgraded/reversed/and tweaked the hardware on those last 2 posted, and I haven't even fished them yetLOL.  There are a few more 'durability' problems I can now see, so I will probably make a few more lures before I release them for the fish to test, one problems is WOOD,  another is salt V brackish V fresh water, which is where these fish swim  !!!!!!!!!  Big smile.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 1:19pm
Pete, Looks great. Similar to the prawn, really impressed with your work. Might be just me but I recon that one would come up even better with a Matt clear coat than glossy, that looks sublime as is and the Matt will keep it that way.
Angus
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 12:39pm
Thanks Angus, I know what you mean about matte finish it does look 'more natural or something, an old guy once told me that matte anything is nowhere near as hard/durable as a gloss finish but then with fish teeth nothing is Big smile, might have a go at matting a few and see how it goes.
Pete 
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 12:51pm
Pete, Yeah I personally would agree, Matt finish is more for looks, when they are in the water everything is gloss. Although the mixing ratio remains the same, I would assume adding the flattening base would effectively thin out the mixture and reduce the thickness of the coating. Gee they look good though in my opinion.

Like you said, most teeth it doesnt really make a difference.
Angus
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 11:30am
Some Mullet for an upcoming Bream/ Flathead trip - Made with a few changes, a 2/0 hook to get more 'gape' and stronger hook hangers, shallow running for these sunbaking weed dwellers.
Pete

peterayn@yahoo.com.au
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 12:51pm
Hey cool asCool, very innovative and well finishedThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 6:53pm
Clap

Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 5:49am
Hey Pete sensational lures mate,how would you go giving the lure a few coats of hard clear ,giving a light sand then a mat coat? . That way you have your protective coat and the outer mat for effect Just a thought.Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 6:32am
Nice one Pete . . . thinking outside the box again
Love it

MXB
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:11am
PETE,
When can I get some???
Love the Mullet/Shallow idea too!
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:35am
Just awesome Pete ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 2:43pm
Pete, just beautiful. Really impressed again.
Angus
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 6:45pm
Thanks again all--
Thanks Lofty, I will have to try that, lure paint does defiantly look better with true colour, rather than glossy--- sh-t so many ideas, so little time
I took them fishing at Jindabyne Dam today to see how they swim and hopefully catch a few trout  - no way,, after a 2 hour drive, mate discovered he had forgot to bring his PLV's so we fished anyway (left them in his kayak).
Perfect day, foggy and cold early, dam looks a picture @ about 85%-Trolled for about an hour and mate got snagged, he put boat in reverse and could not get it out so he turned off the motor, then we couldn't start it again (thought Neutral switch????), eventually we got it out of reverse and it started but could not get forward gear, so spent the next 3 hours reversing around the dam trolling LOL--No fish other than a tiny something which threw his hook. Plenty of weird looks from other trollers-
Anyway back to the lure test, the lures swam nice with less action then normal- at tight shimmy, it's amazing how much inertia / sway a treble on the back gives, casts beautiful, didn't hit any trees, so don't know about the 'treeless' bit LOL remained pretty weedless though.
Mal- sorry, can't sell them mate, still on the test bench.

Thanks again.
Pete

peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:18pm
pete..........small weight in tail end to get action?

Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 4:16pm
WOW ,, I havent seen anything like these . I will have one when finished testing please .
I like pretty painted sticks
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 5:33pm
Jeff-I found something like it here----------- http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6651375.html
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 4:18am
I love ya lures Pete i saw a similar set upn in a prawn u made absolute work of art to look at and the binovation in your lures is second to none ...but seriously..... MAGIC lures i wish i could get buy borrow or swap my only child for one of those prawns, cheers ...dave...ClapClapClap
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 12:39pm
Thanks Dave, I still haven't got around to fishing them but will be heading to the coast for a week on the 30th to see what the whiting think of the prawns and the flatties think of the 'weedless 8cm lures'----- ---So if they look like working I will probably make a few.
Some more prawns here, they are all 'testers' with slight variations in weight etc . http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/more-prawn-protos_topic15437.html  -

Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 7:35am
just a thought Pete,why don't you mold a dozen or so of these give them very basic paintjobs then give them to a few of the boys to test for you?,it'd save a lot of time and work and they'd also get a good test
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

just a thought Pete,why don't you mold a dozen or so of these give them very basic paintjobs then give them to a few of the boys to test for you?,it'd save a lot of time and work and they'd also get a good test

Sorry for the delay Chris, been VERY busy for the past month or so----

I gave them a run down the coast in early December, 'Prawns' attracted no attention at all,,, The 'Mullet' got plenty, BUT when they hooked up the fish had no problem throwing the hook, so back to the drawing board, when I get some time

Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
coattail rider View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coattail rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 3:38pm
if you want to add some weight/inertia, have you thought about adding a spinnerbait blade to the rear?
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 6:43pm
Thanks Coattail, great idea on any lure, I might give it a go--there is enough action, just different to a normal lure with 2 hooks, I was surprised by the difference- The big problem is keeping a fish on the single hook.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 3:18pm
Some new and reworked 'treeless hook' lures with a lot more hook exposure which may increase the chances of a full on hook up (all 8cm)- the 'spotted dog' is foiled.

And a few I have been working on for Tassie, 'Alfoiled' colours in 8 and 6cm versions.
Pete

peterayn@yahoo.com.au
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 4:41pm
Wicked lures Pete....very unique to you, well done!
cheers steiny
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 5:10pm
Cool as Pete, top finishClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 6:49pm
Pete, looking great. Looks like some decent clearance for the hook. Impressive as per the norm
Angus
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 7:07pm
Jaw dropping Pete. You are an engineer.
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 10:34pm
@ hazmail RE: hookups

When you fish them, do you tie the line straight on, or do you use a snap swivel?

A snap swivel may prevent a fish from getting the leverage to toss the hook.

Same general idea as using split rings on hook hangers.

JMHO Question Geek
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:53am
Sensational Pete,thought the last lot were beautiful but these are brilliantThumbs Up
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic