LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Killalure
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Lure With No Name.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Lure With No Name.
    Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 9:08am
Hi there,

Today I am going to tell you the tale , not of a horse with no name, but of a lure with no name...

A few months ago, I was gifted a beautiful timber lure.
One that I believed to be a Killalure, yet something was not right. I had never seen one looking like this. The eyes, the tow point and the hooks hangers were right, but something about the shape was unusual…
Was it just a copy, or a very rare one?

It looks like a baby Barramundi.

I asked here and there if anyone had already seen a similar lure. But to no avail, the mystery grew deeper and deeper.
With a lot of people giving their opinion. Some of the answer I received, were closer to science fiction than reality.
Then one evening trolling an online lure forum, I struck gold!
I found someone who obviously had a very good knowledge of the Killalure brand (And you are soon to know why). 
I sent him a message, he replied and the enigma was no more.

The lure is indeed a Killalure, from the mid 80’s. It is in fact a 4” Killalure cut down. While making them, the good people at Killaure had a problem with a run of blank that had been over sanded. So the man making them, cut the tail off, and put on them some aluminum bib that he had laying around.
About one hundred of them were made. The run was so short; that the lure didn’t even received a name!

The Killalure with no name.

The lures were painted with Dulux Base Coat.
The colour is originally a Nils Master one, but in the Killalure range this is the colour number 70. The hooks might be 777 #2 Eagle Claws. 
A few different bibs were used for this lure model; on this one it was the 3” Barra Bait bib.

The 3" Barrra Bait bib

Who is the man who generously gave me all this information?

It is no one else than the man behind the Killalure saga: the legendary Dave Killalea.

Thanks to the Dave who gave me this lure, and thanks to the Dave who give me the information about this lure.
Two different Dave, but two top bloke.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 9:59am
Saw your KL article in the NT News Regis, good to see you back in print. If you ever require photos of lures for your articles, feel free to drop-in, I'm sure to have something to inspire you.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:54pm
Hi Pecheur
I remember Dave writing about the cut down lure, which post is that in? I can't seem to find it.
Cheers Steve
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 8:21am
Hi there,

Tony, 
Yes it is good to finally have my life starting to get back in order.
Smile
And yes, maybe I should drop to your place with my camera one day, as you have some real treasure.

Steve,
Is that the thread that you are referring to:

I hope this help?

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 10:39am
Hi Pecheur
No that's not it. I remember reading Dave's comments about the over sanding and cut down lures on a thread on this site, I'm very interested as I have one of these lures as well, though mine is blue.
Cheers Steve.
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 7:06pm
Hi Steve,

This is the only text from Dave K that I saw on this forum about a similar lure:

"Martin,

That's a Killalure from the mid 80's.  We had a problem with a run of blanks that were over sanded so I cut the tails off and put some aluminum bibs in that I had laying around.  There were probably only about a hundred or so that were ever made.  The hooks are Eagle Claw 1143 #2 and the stripes were done with the same stencil that was used for the 6" Barra Bait and the paint is Dulux Base Coat.

They didn't work that well, that's probably why that one is still intact.

Cheers
Dave K"

If there is some more information, I would be very happy to see it, to make sure that I didn't made to many mistake in my post.
Smile

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 8:08pm
Thanks Pecheur, that's what I remember seeing.
Cheers Steve
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 8:29pm
Hi Steve,

You are welcome.
And yes, it was in the link that I posted earlier...
Wink

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Toppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:26am
Awesome info!! that's another one I need to find for my collection Lol
Cheers
Toppy
"lures are for fishing with" Apparently!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic