Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Les Barlow
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A visit to meet LES BARLOW...COMPLETED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A visit to meet LES BARLOW...COMPLETED
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:09pm
Martin (horrorhead) suggested a trip to Stanthorpe to meet Les Barlow... and Chris (puglee) and my son Jack  were happy to tag along.
I must say after spending 3.5 hrs in the shed with Les I left with a positive outlook on life...and Im sure all that have visited Les leave with the same feeling......What a great genuine Australian...........with a great outlook on life and a sensible no bull#hit view towards life/fishing/and lures.
Heres a few pics of our morning listening to great yarns, and taking in all the information about what makes a good lure.....one thing Les is sure about its not the paintjob but the action........As les says about his own lures(with a big grinBig smile and a sparkle in his eye)......they may not be pretty but gees" they catch a lot of fish".
Les... I reckon they are spot on mate.....they are what its all about, and they are a credit to you.
Jas

Les Barlow at the SHED.

les telling us ONE OF MANY stories about his fishing.

les showing us a few techniques

And the stories continue

Martin getting a run down on the history behind the lures

Chris presented Les with one of his art works...A Les Barlow lure with a FUGLY LURE bite.Clap

Les and myself with a Nichos Maulers  RAW KINGPRAWN that stayed with les.

Jack LES MARTIN CHRIS NICHO

A few blanks on the go.

A fewof  LES BARLOWS quality lures.....he even does DOTS!!!!Thumbs UpHeart
Heart
LES BARLOW...A TRUE AUSSIE WITH THE RIGHT ATTITUDE!!

Thanks Les for your hospitality.
Jas and Jack...Nichos Maulers..

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:37pm

awesome .... i could handle spending sometime there talking away ... very interesting hearing others ways and stories ......... thanks for posting this up ..... need more on lure makers in there sheds ....... cheers aaron

oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:11pm
Great Stuff boys, he is a special bloke  Clap
Steve 
ando 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ando 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:32pm
great thread thanks for sharing, couldn't agree more with the action being more important than colour or anything else, too much emphasis on paint jobs and how flash a jap crap piece of plastic looks these days.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:39pm
hmmmm Ermm must be time for a wine/cod/lure run me tinks.....right after I move house/work ma ass off/mow the yard/send lures I promised/remodel the boat/sleep/eat......
WHY DOES LIFE GET IN THE WAY OF ALL THE FUN THINGSCry
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:18pm
Thanks Jas, always great to read these profiles of old craftsmen like Les, we don't have that sort of history down here.
Les's shed had that ' Nicho' look about it, with all the lures hanging around, another ten years and we all will be coming to visit you, AND takeing pictures.OhYeah
Pete
amdoubleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdoubleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:25pm
Good work Jas', always enjoy these threads.

Alan
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:32pm
Good read Jas. Thanks fore posting. Think it is very interesting to here from the good old days. 
Remember if these old blokes hasent being around, you would still catch Fish with a Spear Wink

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:42pm
A couple more photos of the man. Les's stories are endless and he is willing to part with them. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:42pm
Great post nicho, a good trip by the looks of it.

Simon
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:53pm
He looks like the true bushy,
and to put a face to the lures i have is great

regards George
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:01pm
Great Reading,thankyou to all involved.
The Journey is the Reward

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:22pm
Was a great day..... from memory the story behind the huge lure les is holding has something to do with a bunch of kids(scouts maybe?) that les had in the shed for a day of luremaking....he said they had a ball, and sometime after that day they returned with a lure they had made for him as a thankyou....thats basically how it went from memory.....and Les tells that story with pride too.

pete(hazmail),
LOLId better get started on my new beard then hey!

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 11:42pm

that was the story Jas.Wow what privelege to meet such a nice bloke like Les and i recon i learned a few new tricks in luremaking from that visit.Les if your reading this you are a champion mate and yes your lures sure do catch fish

cheers chris
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 4:57am
very good yarn , 3.5 hours would have seemed like 5 min ,
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:13am
yes Ian thats exactly what my 12 year old said when we got in the car....he could not believe that 3.5 hrs could go by so fast.....something he will remember Im sure
Jas

CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:47am
Great post Jason, wish I could have been there, maybe Les could give me some advice on how to keep a tidy shop, very neat.
Verlon
Baitman
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:31am
What alot of people don't know about Les as well is that he was a champion cyclist in his younger years. An Italian team asked him to join their mob in Europe but his coach told him he had a better future in Australia - wrong advice. Les still walks 2 and a half hours every day, but as he revealed to us, he needs a new knee. He must be fit for it to take this long with that amount of walking for his first knee job. Les still likes to be able to get away walking the rivers chasing cod whenever he gets the chance.
Now that would be a good fishing session. Imagine what you could learn off his expirience?  Martin
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:58am
yes martin there would be a wealth of knowledge in a trip like that!!!

Heres a couple of blanks I got off les....I am going to paint them and return them to him.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:01am
Make sure you post up the finished product - we all want to see them. Les will love them, he is very grateful for those that do this sort of thing for him and not try to profit from him. Martin
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:07am
Will post them up....and unlike some miserable greedy pri#s that do try to profit from him, they will be returned  as I promised him.Wink......I know he will appreciate it.
Jas

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:52am
A great yarn fellas, thanks for posting. Tell Les his lures have travelled far and wide, as I found two in a junk shop tackle box in Darwin! I'm pleased to own about five different models in my collection.
Regards, Tony (Presently domeciled in Julia Creek, FWQ LOL)
"Always Merry and Bright"
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:16pm
VERLON ,
IF you ever get over here I will take you to meet him...its a true Australian experience that we are losing too quickly in this country.

Tony,
I reckon that LES would have lures that have travelled the world.....for many years he sat out on the New England  Highway with his lure stand selling to passing motorists.......they are still the same price now as they were over 20 years ago!!
 And to think there are people out there buying lures off les FROM  his home ,and then put them on Ebay with a big write up about him being local etc.... and they profit for doing nothing!!! ...makes me sick.....
As Les said........its very sad to see the greed out there these days.
Les does this as a labour of love, and keeps the price so that kids can afford to fish and those less fortunate can afford to fish........if you called in to see him with no money he would give you his lures.....hes genuine.
We need more blokes like Les.
The good thing is LES now has the Ebay names and has had help to  identified the mongrels that were taking him for a ride.
After seeing his list of names there are a few regular sellers that wont get a cent from me in the future.
Thats my whinge for the day.
Jas

ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:26pm
I'm an ebay vicitm. I only have a couple of Les' lures. Is he OK if someone rings him and orders direct?

Ropes
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:33pm
Hey ropes,
not for me to say mate, cant see why not  as he has cards, but really not my call.
I think his sons a member on here so if he sees this maybe he can let you know!?, wouldnt like to get him flooded with calls... as hes got other things that need his constant attention at home.
Will leave that to someone else that may know him well.
Jas

fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:38pm
Bugger I was going to ring last year but don't wont to be part of the calls that he will get from posts like this ... So is there anyone I could send money to to pick me some up and post to me ... Would like to buy a bunch as I paid over double of eBay mid last year .... Aaron
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:48pm
No dramas I've been after some more but the bay is an un-reliable source. Hopefully someone will pop their head up.
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:50pm
Ropes he has no problem with posting Lures out to customers, the only problem is how you will pay for them LOL    he still charges $5 postage. If you PM Jas or myself we could get them for you and work it out later. I'll be dropping in next week to see him, it's your call Smile

Steve
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:55pm
Steve thank you thank you thank you 66 - PM sent
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:57pm
thanks steve,
didnt want to stress theLES  out with too many calls....that would be good if you could get them, I wont be down there for a while.....les is going to spend a morning helping jack make up a few lures at some stage, but that will be several weeks away.....Jack is stoked and its something he will remember forever Im sure!..........

ibarlow View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:17pm
I am sure he would take your phone call and be happy to post you some luresFishing always happy to oblige.IB
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:20pm
Jack and Les Confused  that's a worry, Les is pretty handy with the Dots as well, poor Jack he's got two Lure Makers for inspiration and they both use Dots  LOL
Steve
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:52pm
Yes, and Les has been doing dots longer then Jason. Poor Jack, in years time he'll be going to a doctor - "doctor doctor, I am seeing dots". "Have you seen an optometrist" says the doctor. "No only dots" Jack will say.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:54pm
Thanks for posting that Ian. He has posted me lures before and he is very obliging. You have a fantastic man as a father mate. Martin
Martin-

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:10pm
I was fortunate to spend some time on the phone with Les when I ordered some lures from him after seeing some of his lures in someones display cabinet on here. I have a special box with Les's lures in it. It was a very pleasant and informative time on the phone. A real Gentleman. Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic