Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Les Barlow
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A visit to meet LES BARLOW...COMPLETED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:28pm

Found it hard to remove all rasp marks....but hey they add characterThumbs Up
two more coats and then a few dots......
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 11:22pm
these are going to look niceThumbs Up
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 7:31am
Great post Jas, Les sure is a character and a true Gentleman, son and I always enjoy seeing him(must get down that way soon again).
Keen to see the end result on the two lures.

Cheers
Ollie
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:34pm
I just hope les likes them...he was bewildered why I wanted to paint them for him......Ive added a  few different touches from the way les does them......And they are looking cool.
 1st clearcoat tomorrow....

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:21pm
Les will love them Jas. He makes the lures the way he does to keep them affordable to everyone - but he also likes to see how they turn out when painted by others. He was so pleased with the lures painted by those other blokes until he discovered that they were taking advantage of him. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 6:48pm
Well its only a small gesture but Ive really enjoyed pimping up a couple of Les Barlows "SLEETIE" lures.
Im sure by the look on his face when I told him what Id like to do for him, that he thought he'd never see them again.
I can only hope they give him a smile when they arrive early next week.
One has glass eyes...the other stick on...used two different bibs to get 2 different actions.
One blank had a very hard deep grain that could not be sanded out...so I painted the grain lines....and I like it.
Les will probably shake his head and wonder what the hell was that young fella thinking!!!Confused
But geez they are a really nice lure.
Jas

The two new SLEETIES next to two of LES'S originals.

I really dont want to send this lure....its bloody lovelyCry

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:06pm
Thy look really COOL Jas. Sure he will be glad to receive them. Have followed this tread with great interest. Thanks fore chowing/telling about this great meeting Thumbs Up
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:15pm
They are fanastic, Les will love themThumbs Up. Ian- if you are reading this, don't show him until after he gets themWink. Martin
Martin-

ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:17pm
Excellent outcome. Will be interesting to hear what Les has to say about them.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:53pm
Look great . The green and red goes awesome on the black .... Awesome stuff ..... Cheers aaron
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 5:11pm
Thanks for the comments guys........packed and posted today......hope he likes them.
different action to what LES gets with his original bib and towpoint, but in saying that,  still very good  just  tighter ........a dead set fish catcher for sure.

Fletch,
thanks mate..... green/red..one of my favourite combos for fresh water.Wink
Jas

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 5:23pm
Thanks for posting about the visit guys, a great read and wish I was there as well!

I'm sure Les will love the "Nicho'd" lures Jas

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 5:50pm
Some of your best work there Jas, Les will love them...Nev
A lure without hooks is a Keyring.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 10:46pm
i think Les will like those,your a good bloke JasThumbs UpApprove
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 8:26am
WoW -looking good Jas.
Pete
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

VERLON ,
IF you ever get over here I will take you to meet him...its a true Australian experience that we are losing too quickly in this country.

Jason, If I ever make it over their that would be a visit that I would really enjoy. I know what Les is going thru with the knee, I have been putting off a knee replacement for 15 years, same knee as Les's. I am afraid I will have to have it done this year.
 Sure would like to hear some of those stories.
Give my regards to Les,
Verlon

Tony,
I reckon that LES would have lures that have travelled the world.....for many years he sat out on the New England  Highway with his lure stand selling to passing motorists.......they are still the same price now as they were over 20 years ago!!
 And to think there are people out there buying lures off les FROM  his home ,and then put them on Ebay with a big write up about him being local etc.... and they profit for doing nothing!!! ...makes me sick.....
As Les said........its very sad to see the greed out there these days.
Les does this as a labour of love, and keeps the price so that kids can afford to fish and those less fortunate can afford to fish........if you called in to see him with no money he would give you his lures.....hes genuine.
We need more blokes like Les.
The good thing is LES now has the Ebay names and has had help to  identified the mongrels that were taking him for a ride.
After seeing his list of names there are a few regular sellers that wont get a cent from me in the future.
Thats my whinge for the day.
Jas

Baitman
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 4:31pm
Lures came up great Jas, Les will be very pleased with them nice gesture.

Cheers
Ollie
ibarlow View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 4:39pm
No problems let them arrive and i am sure he will enjoy them.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
Thanks again guys,

Thanks ian,
let me know if he mentions them to you at some stage...he should get them tuesday.
Jas

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:22pm
well Done Nicho top finish I am sure he will be pleased. Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 6:03pm
Hi All
top paint job Nicho

picked these up off Les on Friday
like the other reports great chat and informative talk with Les
but car trouble sent me home before i could get them wet
some of the lures i picked out

regards George

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 8:04pm
ah you got some of Les' lil penguins George,top lure mate be sure to fish it
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:34pm
WinkI too have a few of this blokes lures and I'm too frighten to swim them just in case I lose them but I want more to fish with eventually can someone steer me in the right direction please........regards B.J.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 5:01pm
Les rang today confirming that the lures had arrived.......he was happy with the outcome and reckons they wont get wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(is this collector disease catching!?Cry)

Buggar that LES !!!! they were made to fish...get out there and throw them old mate!!!!!Wink

Another good  chat....Thanks for taking the time to phone...very much appreciated.
Jas

ibarlow View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 6:22pm
Yes he was very pleased to receive them and all the right ups they will never see the water he will just admire them and show them off with pride gents.Thumbs UpExclamation.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 6:45pm
great to hear Ian....thanks for the feedback....My son Jack seen a photo of LES in his red fishing overalls at the shed...when we got back in the car he said...DAD!...SANTA DOES FISH!!! I HAD TO LAUGH....And Im sure LES will laugh when he hears this.
Jas

ibarlow View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 9:07pm
Next time you see or talk to him ask him where he got those overalls from good story.
dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:18pm
Does he really sell these for $5 each?
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:33pm
Yeah mate, and they work very well.
Martin-

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:44pm
Nicho...thats the best paint job I have ever seen on one of your dotted lures.... Well done!
cheers steiny
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:52pm
mate that would have been apleasure the REAL AUSSIE is a dieing bread LES is a classic,,what a time you would have had & learnt a bucket full to I bet<I reacon your lures all will get better learning some of LES`es secrets,,Gary
dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:58pm
Man he must do it for the love of it. $5 is a bargain!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:33pm

It's a labour of love for him, he is  a very generous man especially to kids with his lures as he gives a lot away to them. He wants all kids to have the opportunity to fish.

Martin-

fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:15pm
Good to see a bloke like Les getting this sort of recognition of his work, those lures came up well Jas

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:06am
well i spent a few hours talking to les yesterday and i grabbed a few more of his lures , and yes nicho he pulled one of your lures out and showed me mate..top stuff i think he likes them...was a good few hours talking fish, lures, holes of water,and the time went nowhere could have spent all arvo no hassles..i grabbed a jumbo lure off him and keen to try it at glenlyon next trip...
hunting and fishing the new england
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic