LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > New Zealand Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abu Lures stamped NZ !!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abu Lures stamped NZ !!!!!
    Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 1:07am
Here are a few which I recently acquired -

Pic 1 -

Pic 2 -

Most are also stamped "Kilwell" so I guess Kilwell were retailing Abu products. Does anyone have any info to share on the Abu/Kilwell relationship ??

Cheers, Mike.
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:57am
Never seen like these.Geek

These Nz or new zealand stamps looks that they might be put later to spoons....is swimming diffrent that original?
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 5:07am
Hi Piatu,

I have not fished them, but I believe they are original Abu Sweden baits which were later stamped, as you thought. I know that Kilwell did sell Abu baits but I am not sure if they had a special relationship with Abu.

Cheers, Mike.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:11am
Wayne where are you for this delemma?
The Journey is the Reward

Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:21am
Originally posted by CaptainCranky CaptainCranky wrote:

Wayne where are you for this delemma?

I'm just wondering same.
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:30am
Hey guys,

There is no dilemma, Wayne knows that Kilwell sold Abu. We are just trying to find out about the relationship between the two company's.

Here is an early catalogue pic. -

We would appreciate any info/input into this research.

Cheers, Mike.
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:53am
Do you know finnish Abu-collector Åke Renfors?

He might know...
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:55am
What i was thinking..Åke Sundberg ;)
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:59am
Hello Piatu,

I do not know your contact Åke, why do you think he might know about Swedish export baits ? If he does then can he speak English as good as you ?? 

Cheers, Mike.
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:04am
Check my facebook profile and there is Åke in my friends....ask straight to him ;)

If he dont know, he know someone who will know and speak better english than i.

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:26am
Hello Piatu,

Sorry, I do not do Facebook.

Cheers, Mike.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:20am
Hi Mike welcome to lure lovers, Shoot a P.M. to Abu Admiral here on lure lovers
or you can contact him at wayne@realsreels .com.au . Wayne is the man when it
comes to Abu gear if he doesn't know nobody Knows...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:24am
found this info floating in Hyperspace..."Kilwell Sports is a privately owned company established in 1933. The company is a manufacturer and distributor of fishing tackle, firearms and outdoor related products.Our wholesale division distributes a huge range of product for resale in retail outlets throughout the country. In addition to marketing and distribution of its own product brands, KILWELL SPORTS represents an impressive list of leading brand fishing and hunting product manufacturers from around the world."

Like Garcia in the USA, Kilwell obviously used their own name to promote the 'NEW' ABU products in the marketplace. I would reckon the Kilwell stamped lures would have been back when they first hade the distributorship in NZ. Later lures wouldn't have the local name as acceptance was made of the 'outlander' lures.

Also note that Kilwell does not have the ABU range any more, wonder when the dropped it ??? might give some clues as to age of the lures.

Darbs

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:25am
Hello Pete,
Wayne and I are close, he knows what I am doing.
Cheers, Mike.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:28am
O.K. Mike,WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:31am
Hello Darbs,

Nice Googling ! Good to see you picked up on the Garcia similarities in the link to Kilwell, that is the sort of thing I am trying to uncover. There is lots out there to find, when you look.

Cheers, Mike.
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:41am
Kilwell was a well known NZ company that also did fly fishing gear too.

@Darbs . . . I reckon Abu would have dropped Kilwell not the other way round and agree it looks as though the spoons were later stamped when they had the delearship/distribution rights.

Very interesting and another link in the Abu history

MXB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic