LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
No_Classifieds
No_Classifieds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenyouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice Needed
    Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 9:38am
I picked up some blank wooden lures at a garage sale on the weekend and thought they would be great to start off with, before i go all and start making them from scratch. the guy had intended to make them into cod lures, so they are already sanded into a rough shape.

so where would i go from here?
from having a read through the forum..
-sand down to the exact shape i want (any tips on getting them all consistantly the same shape?)
- glue in the bib and the rings (aroldite?)
- coat of paint (any specific paint i should use? what do i use as the top coat over the paint to keep it water proof? how many layers?)'
- then put on all the split rings and hooks.

am i missing anything?

thanks in advance!

tooch View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 12:53pm
G'day mate . I use mainly auto Paint in acrylic most auto shops should be able to help you out there. I also use fluro paint that you can buy in a can from Bunnings for about 18 Dollars and decant them into a bottle .you will have to thin down you paint with thinners at a mixture of 2 to 1 then apply your paint base colur first .i usually paint white base and then prodominent colours over the top. Then comes stripes and patterns which I use templates for usually made from plastic milk cartons. then paint your eyes but I use stickers, once that is done I put the clear on I use acrylic top coat  usually 4 to 5 coats. If you need any more help just give a yell. There are a lot of little secrets that you can pick up just by putting your ear to the ground.Artistic Regards Pete. at twitchy Lures.
I'd rather be fishing with

goldenyouth View Drop Down
No_Classifieds
No_Classifieds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenyouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 7:40pm
pete,
for the top coat, where do you pick that up from? could i use the missus' clear acrylic nail polish!?

for the paint, i just picked up some inks from the art shop and painfully tried to do some colourwork... can only get better with practice though!
lure crazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lure crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 10:00pm
The acryllic clear coat from an auto shop, got to be careful painting things like nail polish over the paint with a brush as it will soften and pull at the paint as you brush making it run.Wink
tooch View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 10:21pm
Hi Heath, Yeah I had afriend that asked me to do a resto on one of his favourite lures , what he didn't tell me was that he had a go with nail polish . I ended up stripping it back to bare timber after I had painted it 5 times the acrylic paint just went straight to orange peel every time Learnt my lesson the hard wayCryCryCryCryCry Regards Pete.

tooch View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 12:04pm
Hi Goldie , Try not to put the acrylic auto clear over the top of the art inks as they are water based and the clear will just flake off . You are better off to get a couple of small cans of acrylic touch up paints from the auto shop for the ammount of work that you are going to do.WinkWinkWinkWink Regards Pete.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 8:13pm
panelbeaters   can be handy,get yourself a heap of small vegemite jars and rock up to your local
panel shop and donate a carton of beer to the manager and give him the jars,ask him if he can get you a few dregs over the next fortnight,they can be 2pack or acrylic lacquer as they both use the same thinners,another source is flea markets ,i buy a lot of old tins of touch up paint this way and
have been picking up cans for $3.00 each of late(got a tin of indigo haze the other day,only the best purple color for lures ever!)good luckThumbs Up
tooch View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 12:26pm
Hi Goldie , Probanly should have asked how you where going to paint the lures . Do you have an airbrush and compressor or are you going to use spray cans  or are you going to brush coat them? QuestionQuestionQuestion Regards Pete. 

goldenyouth View Drop Down
No_Classifieds
No_Classifieds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenyouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 3:17pm
ive given them both a go...i sprayed the first lot, then brushed them....ive just a mix of spray paint and acrylic paints....if i can get my hands on a can of acrylic top coat..can i just spray 4-5 coats and they should be right?

ive taken pics of the process so will post once i have the final product.
lure crazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lure crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 9:05pm
Should be fine, as long as the paints are matched. Acryllic to acryllic and enamels to enamels ect. I have sprayed thinners based acryllic over water based acryllic before with no problems, but made sure it was completely dry first. Always easier to test the 2 paint compatabilities on something before putting it on your lure if your not sure!ShockedWink
tooch View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 1:14pm
Hi Goldie , If you can get some acrylic top coat in a can that should do the trick , But as Heath says try not to put acrylic over Enamel  .Won't be long now and we should start to see some results, keep up the good work.ClapClapClapClap Regards Pete.

DAMO View Drop Down
No_Classifieds
No_Classifieds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 9:51am
You can put auto 2-pac over auto acrylic but it is best to make sure the acrylic is dry otherwise it won't dry properly under the 2-pac. I've been puting three coats over acrylic with no trouble and gives a solid smoth finish. You can also spray 2-pac over most premanent markers and over vynal (stickers) with no trouble.
Cheers,
Damo. 
Timber King Lures View Drop Down
No_Classifieds
No_Classifieds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 5:46am
Yep.2 pack auto clear.A few coats using an airbrush.Its fast to do and great resultsWink.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic