LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air brush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air brush
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:44pm
Can any one give some advice on air brushes,I just had a look at evil bay & man they start from $9 & go to $130 with compressor.I have never used one never seen one what is a good one for timber lures & trying to do detailed work,what should I get grevatity feed or what any help will be appreciated imensly,,Gary
Moomoo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moomoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:03pm
I'm glad you asked that Gary because I'd be interested to know the answer to that one too.   
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:08pm

Gravity feed daul action is what im getting nxt.Will be buying a iwata nxt.You can get an iwata revolution for around $135 IWATA Revolution Airbrush Large Gravity Feed

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:25pm
thanks sea gull,,Gary
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:16pm
Gary go to Bunnings and pick a $22 plastic job they are good for
putting your base colours on...WinkWinkWinkWink then go to supercheap
you can pick up a double action gravity feed for around sixty bucks....SmileSmileSmile...pete.

....Mate go into the luremaking section and have a look at my post on my airbrush
combo my wife bought me for my 30th wedding anniversary..it's called " Iwata feeling" by the way...SmileSmileSmile
I'd rather be fishing with

Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:58pm
Gary, there is about a million choices when it comes to airbrushes. If you are just starting out I would recommend a cheap dual action gravity fed brush in 0.5mm tip size. That way you don't outlay too much money and can easily get amongst it. You can do fairly detailed work with a 0.5mm and it will allow you to spray pearl's and metallics if you wish.

Angus
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 3:56pm
I picked a couple of these up today from Supa Cheap, they were $60.00 but are 50% off until the 04/06/2012. It has 3 needles, 0.2-0.3 and 0.5mm, 7ml cup. I think $30.00 is pretty good until I get  more experience and then buy something more quality. Regards Chris
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 4:22pm
Well done  there Chris they will do the job for ya.Bettrer than paying top price 2 for 1 deal

Errol
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:50pm
Chris 

Just a heads up, I bought that one as my first and It works well, but just be carefull when cleaning the brush the rubber orings in the brush will disintegrate, and it will not spray the same. SCA does not keep spares for these brushes. 

Cheers

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:28pm
Chris, I have been using that same brush for over a year now. I run it with mainly the .5tip in it for all colour painting. One thing I like is the ability to remove the nose cone and it will spray a wider mist, great for light scales over base colours Wink
I must run down to SCA and see if they have the same special here. If they do I reckon I'll grab a couple more.Thumbs Up
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:55pm
Looks like I am getting an airbrush tomorrow,,Gary
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:05pm
i think ive mentioned this before in an old post but its also important to remember that an airbrush only works to its potential if the paint is thinned correctly if its to thin it will run on an open nozzle if its to thick it will splatter on a open nozzle , rubber does not like acrylic thinners so find and airbrush that has no rubber rings a brand that i have used was called a HOLDING  airbrush no rubber at all or you will have to rejuvinate the rubber rings with vasoline after every session, pearcey
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:17pm
Yeh, I wouldn't think you could buy any spares for this but at $30 each I figure if it last me a year I'll be happy, hopefully I will be resonably proficient by then to justify buying a more expensive airbrush, but thanks for the info about this model, its good to know. Regards Chris
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 1:44am
i got a heap of evil bay , all the same picked a few up for 3.00 bucks .... just bid on them all until i get a few for around 8.00 bucks ......lost the o rings in a few ..... thought stuff it just use it .... been painting all mine without the oring since i lost it ........ i get a bit rough with the airbrushes ..... bought a decent one bent the needle ......use the cheap ones ever since ......will get a beauty soon though and make myself look after it ........... cheers aaron
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by seagull seagull wrote:

Gravity feed daul action is what im getting nxt.Will be buying a iwata nxt.You can get an iwata revolution for around $135 IWATA Revolution Airbrush Large Gravity Feed

Bought one of these last night from Amazon ($80.30 delivered), uses .5 or .3 needle, with replacable PTFE seals-looking forward to using it.
Pete
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 2:23pm

Pete, I dont think you will be disappointed. I have the same one, great brush. I didnt realise you could get them that cheap. If it came with both the 0.5 and 0.3mm needle that is just amazing. At that price I would recommend that any day over one of the cheaper ones. I might need a second actually if that is the case.

Angus
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by bignanny bignanny wrote:

I picked a couple of these up today from Supa Cheap, they were $60.00 but are 50% off until the 04/06/2012. It has 3 needles, 0.2-0.3 and 0.5mm, 7ml cup. I think $30.00 is pretty good until I get  more experience and then buy something more quality. Regards Chris
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thank you Chris,,got one today for $29.01 now I just have to work it out which should be a SHEEP load of fun,,Gary
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 5:03pm
Guys,
I use SCA Airbrush but the siphon type with interchangeable bottles. I have done a few "O" rings but have found replacements for all of them at Seal Imports. The only one I cant get is the one for the nose cone shield. Threadseal tape does the trick fine.
Cheers,

Gavin
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by OCD OCD wrote:

Guys,
 Threadseal tape does the trick fine.

Now that's a thought, thanks Gavin

Cheers

seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 6:38pm
Did ya happen to this 1 while you were on Amazon Hazmail?
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Mcleod Mcleod wrote:

Pete, I dont think you will be disappointed. I have the same one, great brush. I didnt realise you could get them that cheap. If it came with both the 0.5 and 0.3mm needle that is just amazing. At that price I would recommend that any day over one of the cheaper ones. I might need a second actually if that is the case.

Angus
Angus
No mate , unfortunatly I don't think it comes with both needles, but I am onto the fact that I can get a .5 if I need one---probably at half the price of the brush LOL. I mainly got it because I'm sick of burning out rubber seals, and I don't use thinner based paints or clears that much --BUT may do soon. Initially I was going for the model with the 3.5 -- .5 needle, whatever that was-------so many models , so little timeLOL .

'Seagull'---yeah, I saw that but have all the bits and pieces, and about 4 -5 other brushes (need any spares???), from Iwata to some of the nice little cheap Chinese fleaBayer's-- I started with an Iwata when I was 23-24yo, so I figure I might as well finish with an Iwata too Confused .

Pete
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 6:58pm
I need some help please.
Just got an air brush the other day, didnt get a compresser, just a can of compressed air, and that worked great. Its a syphon type brush by the way.
So today, I splash out and buy a purpose type airbrush compressor,but I get it home, hook everything up, and nothing, wont even spray thinners! I read up on my brush,operates at @30lb pressure, comp runs at 18lb, problem solved, take the comp back and buy a new comp,with water trap,runs at 40lb,has small tank hobby shop lady says, this what you need, and I buy a new you beaut hundred buck syphon brush to go with it.
SAME PROBLEM, AIR COMING OUT THE NOZZLE,BUTno paint! Paint is acrylic 50/50 mix with thinners.....HELP!!!
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 7:49pm
From the small amount of painting I've done the factors for no paint have been -

1 damaged nozzle o-ring or wrong size o-ring
2 low pressure
3 dirty needle 
4 blocked nozzle
5 nozzle wound on too tight or too loose
6 needle locking nut loose
7 paint too thick

Check all these and see how ya go, the main one for me was #5.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:14pm
Davent--I know this sounds obvious BUT----
Is the "Chuck Nut" on the needle loose?????????????? (at the rear end of needle)

If the needle doesn't slide back you won't get any paint.
Pete

Sorry Poolie, I see you are onto that  (No 6).
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:35pm
Thanks guys,needle slides freely,tried the nozzles,has 2 nuts at the pointy end,fiddled with both of those,fiddled with the nut at the back of the brush,its a brand new brush,no paint has passed through it,and it still wont spray even thinners!
Pressure seems strong enough,it moves the skin on my hand, and reads 40lb on the gauge.....
guess im off to extreme hobbies again tomorrow,will take everything with me,including paint,and see how i go.
thanks for replying.
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:44pm
Just a guess is the breather hole clear ?

Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:45pm
Dave, when you say the needle slides freely, is it sliding freely in the shuttle inside the rear cover???
the shuttle should only move backwards when the trigger is moved backwards and take the needle with it.
If the needle grip nut on the shuttle is loose the shuttle will move but the needle will stay in one place usually hard up against the tip and no paint will come through.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:52pm
Thnk its a pressure issue,no paint,or thinners or anything is visible in the tube inside the paint jar, nothing happening on the syphon front. Yeah,breather holes are clear on the 4 different jars....it is blowing plenty through the nozzle,air is getting through,and it feels good pressure,just no syphon effect. The first brush,a $20 job, worked perfectly when I used compresed air from an areosol can, but this new fangled shiney flash one, has go me completley stuffed! Im not techniclly minded, however, have no problem re building mud motors for oil rigs,and servicing my reels,and ive got a few, but this thing has beaten me. Ill take back to the shop tomorrow,and the chick will call me silly, and press abutton or something....hope its not like the kill switch problem I had on an outboard some time ago...pulled half the motor down, and all it was was the plastic clip under the kill switch....

Thanks for the replies, and ill post the outcome tomorrow!
Cheers, Dave.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 7:20am
Dave what sort of airbrush is it? dual action or single? .50/50 paint mix may be too thick for an airbrush try 40/60 (paint/thinners),
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:49pm
Thanks for all tips,Pugalee,it wouldnt even spray straight thinners,so not the paint.
It may be the chuck,as pointed out by Darby,(thanks).
But I went back to the shop this morning, and as luck would have it, it worked first try....
Got it home again, and you guessed it! No F****g way!
Anyway, after stuffing around with it for 20 min, found another fault with the compressor,2 in 2 days,gotta be jokeing...First one was an Iwata, max pressure 18lb, dont know what brand this one is, but after a short time,it shuts itself down for 10 mins or so,then come back on for about 2 minutes before shutting down for 10 more....Ive had a gutfull of this, 2 days and about $600 bucks so far....going to super cheap,will buy a cheap compressor, and another 20 buck airbrush....for F**ks sake, im cursed!
amdoubleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdoubleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:49pm
Might be the same mob that made my computer - sounds familiar.
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 6:26pm
Well i just went and brought 1 of those SCA dual actions to get some lures finished as i lft my othr somewhere else works fine for a $60 joby.Man should have brought 2 the othr week when they were on special but as usual when things on special $$$$$$$$$$$$ seems to be short.

Errol
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 6:27pm
China sh_tware  strikes again.

Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 7:00pm
Right,sorted I hope!
Airbrush is double action,needle was in to far,not allowing paint through. Ompressor is another story, it might be ok for kids face paint, and finger nails like seals, but useless for a couple of hours painting, so re-fund, and go for #3 in 3 days, went for a Ryobi compressor,1.5hp and everything seems ok so far.
Only issue im having now, is the hose getting caught up on all the you beaut things that hang off it, but i reckon, ill get used to it, at least it dosnt cut out for 10 mins when it gets warm, im in Darwin, and its not hot yet, in fact its beautiful at the moment.
Thank you for all the advice and help guys, thats what makes this forum soooo much better than any of the other ones Ive been on.
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:18am
Seagull I picked 4 of those up when they were on sale .... Looking forward once home and back into it .......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic