LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alvey Reels - Closing down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alvey Reels - Closing down
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:56am
Alvey Reels Australia have announced on Facebook that they are closing down. They haven't been selling enough reels to be viable. What a terrible shame. Cry
scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:10am
the thing about alveys are they never wear out and get handed down I have some from my wifes pop and a heap of timber ones from my dad ,all still work
Ed.McC
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:58am
RIP Alvey, Thanks for the memories :-)
A sad day for sure !!
Steve R !!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:13am
another classic aussie icon down the drain. made uncluttered and simple, if anything did brake, parts were available in just about every bait and tackle shop. same with the alvey yabby pumps.......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:29am
The end of a another icon made in Australia, It's a real shame , I also have two for the beach and still going strong.

Life is fishing!
codyak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:50am
Very sad news, they are the best surf reels around..
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by scotch&dry scotch&dry wrote:

the thing about alveys are they never wear out and get handed down I have some from my wifes pop and a heap of timber ones from my dad ,all still work

This is exactly the issue I think.  My first choice for beach bait fishing - which I don't do a lot of now.  But the 2 I have, and my dads 1, are basically mint mechanically after more than a decade of abuse - SW dunkings, dropped in sand, not serviced, etc.

I'm tempted to go buy a bunch but at the same time I legitimately don't believe I'll ever need a new one in my lifetime.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Ducks Ducks wrote:

Originally posted by scotch&dry scotch&dry wrote:

This is exactly the issue I think.  My first choice for beach bait fishing - which I don't do a lot of now.  But the 2 I have, and my dads 1, are basically mint mechanically after more than a decade of abuse - SW dunkings, dropped in sand, not serviced, etc.

I'm tempted to go buy a bunch but at the same time I legitimately don't believe I'll ever need a new one in my lifetime.
drop a baitcaster or spin reel in the saltwater or sand and that is more or less the end of them short of a major strip down.......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Luc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:28pm
Have 2 Alvey reels, beach one is 35 years old and estuary 17 years old.
Both still in great nick and won't need replacing in my lifetime.

Shame to have such a great product go out of production.
L4
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:09pm
things have been steadily slowing up for quite a while for Alveys,i heard they were trying to keep the company alive till 2020 that would've been their hundredth year,its very sad.What a lot of people dont realise is that nearly almost every single part (including nuts bolts and washers ) are made in the factory and making a complete reel costs a lot of money and is labour intensive.Ihope something can be salvaged from the closure maybe they could just make thier yabby pumps and one or two of thier reel models ,it would be terrible to see the Alvey name disapear completely from our tackle shopsUnhappy
that's no how ye make porridge!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:02pm
Still use my father's 6 inch cedar spool star drag that he bought in 1969 - and my other 4 or 5 reels. These are the toughest reels around.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:51pm
The only thing to use when battling big Drummer from the rocks. Cut my teeth on Luderick when I was 6 using an old Alvey. Sad news.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:31am
Is there any hope of someone buying the business and adding those reels to their line of products . Just a thought .
You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by toadfrog toadfrog wrote:

Is there any hope of someone buying the business and adding those reels to their line of products . Just a thought .
you'd need to buy the whole factory i'd imagine Brent and its a big place ( used to work there).

toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:05pm
I know but surely somebody would in vest . So few icons left in the world . There is an Englishman owns Mega Fishing Thailand I think from Old Blue Blood stock . I think plenty of money . If he knew it might perk his interest and investment . I wish I could find his phone no. and address . Sent him a box full of American rock and roll cd's once .
You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:47pm
Bruce Alvey said on the news they will continue to operate until there is such a time where there are no more orders to fill. 

Maybe we could all buy an Alvey or two and keep them going..

whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy direct from the factory? Do they have a retail shop on the same premises??
whipit
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Nativeman Nativeman wrote:

Bruce Alvey said on the news they will continue to operate until there is such a time where there are no more orders to fill. 

Maybe we could all buy an Alvey or two and keep them going..

absolutely mate,and not just reels theres all kinds of fishing paraphernalia and apparel that they make.They make the best yabby pumps you'll ever buy not to mention wading bags,fish scalers.fish mesuring rulers,hats shirts ,gimbals,worm pliersetc.not many know but the humble sidecast reel in the smaller sizes is excellent for casting small lures.they also make a reel for trolling leadcore lines which would awesome in lakes such as Eucumbeme and jindabyne.they make the best blackfish reel too.i could go on and on. they really deserve another look guysBig smile
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 4:07am
Guilty ....I have never owned an alvey reel and only ever remembering using one of my past uncles when I was a "little tacker" I have purchased there other products with no regrets 
It is not only a shame but a sign of things to come manufacturing in this country is going the way of the Dodo.
 Both sides of politics are not supporting it. Rather endorsing Free trade/ Foreign investment than homegrown. They tell us we need to be smarter and they privatize Uni's and TAFE's the latter in NSW by 2020. Maybe PriMal can visit your pommy friend who owns Mega Fishing Thailand like Ardani in India... Brent 
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:17am
I'm hoping that enough people are motivated by the shut down news to keep the Alvey company afloat . Sometimes we all get caught up in the next best gizmo that comes along . In my own way I'm pushing back to basics here . You just don't get more basic than Alvey reels . Take a month or 2 before I can get one in my hands but I plan to see if my brother will enter a few bass tourneys with it . Get some vids I hope , then post them on  fishing sites . If you don't get direct help from here it will never make it into mainstream fishing . Getting posts on my Face Book now . Every little bit helps.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 12:19pm
from what ive heard orders have picked up a bit lately there is hope yetThumbs Up
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by whipit whipit wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy direct from the factory? Do they have a retail shop on the same premises??
No Brad they dont sell direct to the public unfortunately
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:48pm
Thanks Chris. Was just thinking would be nice for the money to go directly to them insted of the middle man. Will get a new reel anyway just to support.
Cheers Brad..
whipit
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:29pm
yeah i know mate that it would,a seconds shop out front of the factory like century batteries have would be great.Unfortunately a lot of tackle shops might get upset if this happened though
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic