LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...and now some paint!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...and now some paint!
    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:21pm
I gave the honours of choosing colours, stencils and doing the airbrushing to my young bloke this morning. He didn't do a bad job I don't think!
The scratches / bubbles you can probably make out are in the undercoat. Happy to take advice on how to avoid this - timber is western red cedar, sealed with etex, then dipped in acrylic sealer / undercoat. Looked good after the undercoat when on, so decided to give them another dip, and it was the 2nd layer of undercoat that bubbled. I gave it a hit with wet & dry so it's much better than it was but just wanted to get some colour on! Not sure how the bubbles etc will look after the clear goes on, will be interested to see. I think next time I probably don't need to worry about the 2nd dip in undercoat, may have been overkill with the etex already sealing the timber?. 
The lure pictured above is the first one from the videos I posted the other day. I am going to have a crack at painting the other 2 from the videos this arvo - will post some pics of how they turn out.
Dan
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 2:45pm
Other 2 now painted by yours truly.

Happy with how they turned out for a first effort. You can see the young bloke (6 y/o) has now put eyes on his too.
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 3:23pm
...and now some eyes.

I definitely have a greater appreciation for each step in the lure making process having got to this stage, and to say I have been bitten by the bug would be an understatement!
Looking forward to refining and perfecting things, and also jagging a few fish on some I have made myself!
Dan
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 4:12pm
They look great mate.
Great colours - great actions.  Will see fish, for sure.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 5:14pm
Nice paint, well done on the colour schemes, your lad has a good eye do paint
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 2:52am
The 2 posible causes for the bubbles air pressure change between dips less likely, solvent entrapment from the first layer not being fully cured before 2nd dipping. Shows up a lot when clear coating with auto acrylic,s and multiple coats. You need to keep in mind that the solvents can be absorbed into the layer under the one you are applying especially when they are heavy
My youngest son turned 18 and still talks about making his lures in the garage with me when he was 10
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:25am
Thanks Paul, valuable info re the paints. So how do I avoid this in future? I am thinking one of the following...
1. 2nd undercoat dip was overkill, could have stopped at 1 coat as had already sealed with etex prior.
2. If I do go for a second undercoat - wait longer (more curing time). It had been 24hrs between coats on this go around
3. Thin the paint - rather than going for the heavy coats, go thinner? Would potentially end up with a nicer looking finish too?
Dan
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 12:12pm
You are looking for a primer filler these have a higher solids content. Paint shrinks when cured mostly around 50 to 20 percent the reason why they look so good wet and when dry all your wood grains are back a few experienced guys I know mix up there own brews with thin type polyester resin and talc to thicken it
If you want to stick to paints then spray putty for plastic car bumpers works well and less likely to crack from the timbers expantion and contraction and easy to sand out defects, cheap too.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:09am
Dan, I found, years ago, if the first undercoats (primer filler or primer surfacer) are too thick, it traps the air in the timber causing the undercoat to bubble as the air tries to escape.  My first 2 - 3 undercoats are thinned down a lot, allowing the bubbles to pop and leave a smooth coat. This seals the timber. Then I use Spray Putty which is less thinned, but still runs off the lure easily (all my undercoating is by dipping). Each lure gets about 4 - 5 dips in Spray Putty, with a day between dips. The Spray Putty is super fine and easy to sand, giving a great finish to paint.

Most of my lures are carved from very old Australian Red Cedar, which is very porous, hence the potential for bubbled undercoat.  If you've sealed your lures in Etex, I can't see that air escaping from the timber would cause the problem.

If it was happening to my lures, I would wet-n-dry sand the undercoat to remove the bubbles and try dipping in thinned undercoat again.

I thin my undercoat by eye, but I would estimate the ratio of undercoat to thinners would be between 50:50 and 60:40

Beer

Travers
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:07am
Lamp I just had a light bulb moment!

If you add thinners or stir the undercoat too quickly, it will add air to the undercoat mix and the undercoated lures will have bubbles on the surface.

It happened to me a couple of days ago. I added more thinners to the Spray Putty mix, just to thin it a bit more, stirred and left it for a couple or hours, thinking the air bubbles would have disappeared. Not so. I had to sand the lures the next day and re-dip. All good!!

So, stir slowly and, if you add thinners and stir, wait a good half day.
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:39am
Thanks again for the tips fellas, much appreciated. I have just finished swim testing 5 more designs - ready for an undercoat now so will make some adjustments to my process and see how it goes.
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic