LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anglers Glory and other spinners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anglers Glory and other spinners
    Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:34pm
Hi all thought id start a new thread to show John some anglers glorys and a couple of adds from a 1956 & 1960 Southern Tas Licensed Anglers annual reports. You will note that between 1956 & 1960 the lures must have changed hands. The photos of my 3 show subtle differences in the flights and a small plastic disc to stop hooks from jamming. Please post any pics or other info you may have, Cheers.
fluffnstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:36pm
The 1956 add from Southern Licensed Anglers report

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm
The 1960 add .
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:49pm
I have a few of those myself. would have bought them early 60'.s Some have a split due to age is that a feather in the bottom one .
Did most of his lures have that little round circle at the bum end ,certainly helps identification.    Interesting to know there were  at least two makers.
I think the wholesaler was attached to Jackson Lock and Brass in  Wellington St
thanks for posting.
Will try and locate some of mine over the weekend and post
Regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:37pm
John the middle and bottom ones are both feathers the top one is water damaged, used to be red and yellow ? looks like one maker most likely the first used a wire disc to stop jamming . you can see this in the first pic. From what i can gather a lot of their colors used the lurex strip in various colors, id love to get hold of some original lurex for my fly tying the red is a great vivid eye catcher. a lot of lure makers down here used it for their eyes   Love to see some other colors. CheersSmile
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 9:16am
fuffnstuff      I have some other solid pastic spinners as well, but cannot remember who made them, perhaps they came in from overseas.     Will post as well, you maybe able to help with the I D.
regards John 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 10:29am
First two distinctive center ,angler glory , middle line Ashley double thick brass insert, last five open to suggestions. End one has wire covering  rear of three prong hook.

Have a few more but spread about will need to relocate

Some devils ,different makers ,and the silver and red bum ones I requested a special order of 20 my design,
by a back yard maker in Hobart.  The two spinners amongst the devils seem to be using the cadbury wrapper
that was popular 30 to 40 years ago. both are green and gold two different makers.

will find some more and add progressively.

Regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 10:37pm
John you have me stumped on your spinners ,working on ID on top two on the left hand side row. Do they have cut out mouth and tails and a pronounced belly? As for your cobras you have a mix of King Cobra, Tillins ,Candles, Old Cobbers( at least 12) and your custom lure looks very much like a Ransley (if it has a very small rubber insert) As for the two spinners with the cobras the Cadburys foil used in the popular Cadbury frog lure is a green foil with silver writing ,the gold comes from a yellow dye over the foil.  Try putting a number next to each style of lure for me in your photos if you can so i can match a name with a number  for you. There was and still is so many cottage lure makers down here its hard to keep up with them all, Reids, Clarkes , Amotts , Billmans , Hugo`s , Bishops , Candle`s , Twinnings , Monsons, Monk`s and Norton`s just to name the ones that come to mind   Shocked & Confused
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 8:26am
fuffnstuff
I did not realize there were so many makers  I have quite a few more will put the together in some sort of order and see what you might be able to work ,also will work on the spinners.
The maker of my 20 devil styled lures may have been a member of the Bottom End Sport Fishing club Hobart that became affiliated with the mainland ANSA,{ name escapes me at the moment} we started in Hobart in the mid 80's
Thanks very much for you input.
Regards  John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 12:33pm
I placed them in groups on what i think belongs to who.  The 5 small spinner top amongst the Tillins lures are only there because of the clear plastic blocker at the front of the lure, if they belong there they must be some of their earliest smaller lures.

cobras /devils are in groups as best I can work out. There is an extremely narrow one top right ,I appear to have only the one,  also one feather one and placed it with my feathered spinner i wondered if they belonged to each other.

I tried to cull doubles where i could pick them easily.
Some odd ones and a spoon coloured both sides the only spoon i have.  Will follow.
Trouble placing the pictures.
regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 12:40pm
The odd ones.
Spoons with one paint work inside ,whitebait lures,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 9:44pm
John  Im working on spinners ,want to catch up with a few mates first so give me a week or so ! Cobras are a bit easier working left to right in groups are     1. your red bums are Ransleys telltale sign is if they have small insert the same size as telephone wire.       2 . next five lures  Ransleys as well .      3. First lure on its side is Nortons Old Cobber #22 secret weapon ( formerley  Monks) skinny lure could have been trimmed to run shallow?        4,  Unknown could be Ransleys .      5 Next 3 are Ransleys .      6. Large lure is Wigstons maybe ,smaller are Loftys.      7.Two on their side are Nortons #3 tequila Sunrise,# 5 gold 4x.      8.Next 3 are ransleys.     9.These 3 are Nortons #? , #10 Green n gold , # 9 Cadburys Frog.     10.Next five ,first is Ransleys rest are Nortons #21, #19 & #19 Derwent 6 pack and #23 Red eyes.      11. two Ransleys        12. Next two not sure of but i have two of the far right on so ill research some more.     13.Last row ,Four lures first and last are Nortons #18 Fruit salad, #10 Green n gold.       14. Old wigstons maybe ?       15..Two pink lures look like Ransleys        Hope this helps.    I was trawling through a mates box today and found a few that are similar to a few of yours  he reckons they are moulded Anglers glorys this makes a little sense if you look at the adds i posted the 1960 one states they fused the blades so if they were moulded they could have changed shape then ?      Will talk to a few over the next week and get back to you on spinners.  Cheers  Wink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:00pm
Great job fluffnstuff  .
Will match with the info you have provided . Have several other freshwater bags with mainly doubles but if I spot something i have not  posted will add later in the week  Top job in remember some of the names. Possibly a bit more sunshine would have held you ,a  cloudy day when I took the photos.

Regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:19pm
John, most of my calculated guesses are made by shape of lure or features like the small insert in the Ransley lure for example.  most makers will do their version of other popular patterns so many lures end up looking the same. I had a look at your red fin color spoons are these Wonder Snowy`s they look identical but the add in one of the angler reports i use for research is not showing the red disc on the tail ?    Love the little Whitebait or eel lure   Thumbs Up , do you know its origin ? , living on and fishing the derwent river i love that style of lure, please show me more of that style if you have any?      Cheers.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:19am
fuffnstuff
Had 10years  in Hobart used to take the surf rods and fish opposite Besty Island caught a couple of Mutton birds they were that thick they flew into the fishing lines. Released unharmed.  Sand worms dug from that little bay on the way to Betsy and across the river down to a park near where the Bruny Island Ferry leaves to catch Bream on the change of the tide , Very agressive feeders and extremely snaggy spot. They would hit the baits and run like little locomotives.
Used to take the canadian canoe down to those rivers below Huonville with the family.We were the only
canoe on the rivers then , I think there is probably a lot more activity now adays.
Hairtails long silver fish with wispy tails came into the Hobart harbour one evening and hung about for a few nights we had a ball but were unfamiliar with that type of fish at the time. I am not sure if you are still permitted to fish of the wharf down there nowadays.
Regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 11:29am
John,    Not much has changed they dont call it Slowbart for no reason. Bit more boat traffic on the rivers now and the Hairtails still make it up the Derwent each year. Wharf fishing is limited now. The Bream fishery has really taken off some say we have the finest bream in the nation but i wont buy into that argument !!  Cheers
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 2:06pm
Fluffnstuff .Located some more narrow winged cobra / devils. One was shown on previous post

Some others and a couple more spinners ,insert with double trebles was made up by me.
You may remember a cobra styled lure that had small wings down both sides ,  basically gaps created in length of side wing )I believe I have a black and white one maybe feathered insert unable to locate at the moment.
 I think one of the spinners is perhaps a Johnson and the other an Ashley.
Regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 8:17pm
Gday John   Havnt had much of a chance to reply - 2 days of kids soccer kept me busy . Top row Lure 1 is Nortons #18 Fruit Salad, Lure 2 is Nortons #13 Lure 3 Unknown( i have 2)  Lure 4 Early Wigston Lure 5 unknown, Lure 6&7 are tillins.  Bottom row Lure 1&2 look like Ransleys silver 4x`s, Lure 3 early Wigstons Spinner 1 is what my mate is saying is the moulded Anglers Glory??  Spinner 2 unknown (could be early Johnstons). Visiting a mate whos had a tackle shop in hobart for last 25 years he might reconise a few for us. CheersWink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 8:38am
thanks fluffnstuff
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 10:15am
fluffnstuff 
Located a bit of old gear yesterday. I cannot remember this lure being sold along the N W or N regions could it be a lure made down south. Has a concave body and also painted black inside.
Maybe one of your mates may have come across it.
Regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 7:25pm
Hi John Looks like a Smiths Wobbler from the NW coast,apparently they only used yellow for the eye (no pupil) according to my mate, May have been repainted ??Cheers
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 7:46pm
Thanks fluffnstuff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic