Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Jaysea
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ANOTHER JAYSEA FOR ME

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANOTHER JAYSEA FOR ME
    Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:15am
Took a mate fishing yesterday, and he came bearing a gift, he purchased this lure from a guy in a wheelchair living in a caravan park at lucinda.
Apparently the guy was making them their, and he had not long moved up north from Tewantin sscoast.
Any idea who this guy may be/ what model it is and era?
Has jaysea signed on back of lure, and deep written underneath the bib, writing is the same as my other signed ones..... Its timber with ally bib and heavy duty hardware......Im confused as to who made it, due to the description of the maker and the location? I know warren still lives in tewantin, maybe this guy worked for warren or purchased the business from him?
Maybe he made lures but this one was not one of his?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 12:02pm
anyone have any info re...this lure?

simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 2:24pm
Jaysea lures were made by Warren Nicholson.

Craig should be able to help with it though possibly the model is a "Nicho"  a couple of mine have "W.J.N"  written on the bib.

I bought some lures form Warren and he was a Tewantin then, quite possibly has moved.

Craig knows Warren and has a nice collection of Jayseas so he may shed some light.

Simon
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 5:56pm
hi nicho,what a great collection of warrens lures the timber ones are some of his very first and the lure far left of photo is exremely rare.that is a great pick up.steven
barratuesday View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barratuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:28pm
      Hi Nicko, the lure in question is a" Neeko""it was made by Warren Nicholson in about 1989/90 all the JaySea lures in your photo were made and painted by me lol, Warren Nicholson the original owner of JaySea lure. The guy in the wheel chair is Brett Choyce who brought JaySea lures from me in 1995.
    Hope this info helps you out, BTW some of those lures you have there are one off paint jobs and one or two of them are very rare because less than a dozen were ever carved.

Cheers
Warren Nicholson
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:45pm
That is awesome news Jas Clap
Confirmed straight from Warren, what more could you want?

Welcome to lurelovers too, Warren

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by barratuesday barratuesday wrote:

Hi Nicko, the lure in question is a" Neeko""it was made by Warren Nicholson in about 1989/90 all the JaySea lures in your photo were made and painted by me lol, Warren Nicholson the original owner of JaySea lure. The guy in the wheel chair is Brett Choyce who brought JaySea lures from me in 1995.
    Hope this info helps you out, BTW some of those lures you have there are one off paint jobs and one or two of them are very rare because less than a dozen were ever carved.

Cheers
Warren Nicholson

Thanks for the info warren,
I knew a few of them were pretty scarce, and thanks for the info re Brett Choyce, new info to me, so that helps put it all together.
I only live 20mins from you, so should try to catch up sometime to chat lures.
cheers mate and welcome to the site.
Jas

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by reelsandlures63 reelsandlures63 wrote:

hi nicho,what a great collection of warrens lures the timber ones are some of his very first and the lure far left of photo is exremely rare.that is a great pick up.steven

Thanks steve,
I got most of them from the local tackle shop in tewantin where warren lives, I spent many hrs in that shop when pedro had it/ Pedros bait n tackle, drinking coffee and talking lures/fishing.
Bought most of these just because they were locally made and also I liked them.
I remember I got the old dolls eyes ones all hanging on an old cardboard display board, wish Id kept that board now, as I no longer fish these lures.The one on the far left I have my thoughts on what it is, and who may of made it, I would like to take it to warren and talk about it someday. Whatever it is its different, and if you look at the little wild thing (gold) next to it its a dead ringer, but a lot lot bigger.
The neeko story is interesting and IM GLAD that my new one is a neeko(Ive wanted one for a long time) as my name is Jason Nicholson, and my nick name is NICHO, once I found out that info on how the neeko name came about, I started putting these lures aside not wanting to use them, they sat in my tackle box for years unused, now they hang as a display.
I used several others I had as a display glued to driftwood in our holiday rental house up the coast, they lasted 5 yrs, noticed last trip someone had stolen themOuch, they were green and red ones, and if I see them I will know them!

Pilly,
yes mate, getting the info direct from the maker is great..........
Jas

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:05pm
just a few more pics to update, as ive acquired a few more jayseas recently.....so heres a pic of the bunch and a few random pics of different models/eras.
These are really the only lures that I collect as they are local, and I had most of them in my tacklebox for 15 years or more before retiring them.
So if anyone comes across any and they are of no interest to you....... let me know.
Jas

samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:17pm
Wow, some of those lure bring back some great memories for meSmile great collection Jason.

Cheers Warren
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:24pm
thanks warren, id like some info........dates/names/models etc if that would be ok?
and one in particular I have a few questions to ask about, send a pm if that would suit you.
 I like your lures mate, simply because they are not only good quality lures, but they were local.......the old pink/white ones caught a lot of big flatties in the burrum river in their time.......Im still tempted to throw them in the tacklebox some trips.
Jas

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:26pm
Still trying to add a few jaysea lures to my collection.....anyone with any spare please PM me
pics would be good if possible, still a few more id like to get of the earlier ones , trying to get asstd colors of same lures also.......so if you have one or more please let me know, and if possible we can work something out.
Jas

dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:55pm
i've seen the flicks cobra style ones in tackleboxes but left them there. maybe i should keep an eye out next time?
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:03pm
They are PATRIOTS, come in 4 sizes from 50 - 120mm and a couple of depths in each IIRC

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:35am
ive got a few here and know of someone who has a few but have to ask i thought you wernt into collecting they are made for fishing  ..anyway i have a timber one here same as one in your photo different colour , could let it go let me know if you want a photo .....cheers aaron
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 2:14am
Very nice lures mate
Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 2:49pm
any pics of what you come across would be good guys, if any are of interest we will sort something out....thanks for replys.
Aaron......they get hung up yes, but still get wet occasionally in the right location.(except a very small few)
Ive chased a few of the so called collectables of late, just so I can see them and test the fishability etc...to see what certain makers were thinking at the time...and why they are so sought after.....some are very average, some are good fishing lures......though some of the very average ones ive tested swim like dogs, but are apparently worth the bigger bucks.....confuses me.
thanks again look forward to seeing a few PMS. Thumbs Up
Jas

reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 3:11pm
Hi Jason - those are very tasty lures you have assembled.

Maybe you would like a small Jaysea Pouch to store some in ???

Warren sponsored me a few of his lures Clap( since lost to the snag gods) way back for the inaugural Gold Coast Flathead Classic - 1995/6 I think ??

It could do with a wash but I'll bring it with me to the expo...Big smile

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:28pm
saw the lure on here that looks the same ..wondering if it a original or copy of the neeko in this post..same sort of shape..sorry for hijacking
hunting and fishing the new england
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:59pm
Pictures sent nicho ... It's good you can take a joke ... A couple of bass smax will do it if you up for it ... Cheers Aaron
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 10:58pm
LOLha ....no worries aaron....lifes to short not to laugh.....ya got me laughing straight away with ya comment...Im hearing ya, and expected it....was just waiting or itClap
thanks for pics....done deal.

wadey....that's cool mate we will sort something out for sure...cheers appreciated.

no worries brett...not hijacking mate...all adds to it, but im not sure if that ones the same, can see your thoughts but....unsure.....maybe someone can help us?
thanks again for response....appreciated.
Jas

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic