LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Vintage and Collectible Books and Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Australian collectable books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian collectable books
    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 11:15pm
Having been an avid angling book collector (as well as lures) since I was a kid and after recently completing an inventory of of my collection . . . it was a bit surprising what was there.

Who else collects angling books? How far does it go?

Mine includes older magazines full of old advertising, vintage catalogues and even scientific papers and gazettes. Realised I like focusing on First Editions and obscure rarities too . . .

So what is your favourite Australian angling book?

MXB
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:25am
There is a Face book group that are devoted to discussing Australian Fishing Books.

If you understand how to play in that arena.

Regards John
Flathead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flathead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:20am
Practical Fishing with Lures is my Favourite fishing read. Also used to have an article about Allan Barnard but have lost it over the years.
Chep Buxley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:27am
I have a couple of bookshelves full, plus magazines & catalogues etc. Anything to do with fishing but predominately native freshwater fish. My prized possession is a complete set of Vic McCristal's books. He is my favourite author. Would love to have a Bethune on Bass but I can't justify the price........
Da-Jew-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da-Jew-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:34am
I have collected fishing books and fishing magazines for over 40 years.
Fishing books dedicated more to Saltwater fishing though.
Favourite Book - Fishing for the Fun of it by Ian Gall. Great book that also tells stories of fishing in SE Qld
Most Collectable - The Fisherman by John Cameron 1988 suggested as to the first book published in Australia for saltwater fishing.
Also like the books by Thomas Welsby that have fishing and a lot of history of Brisbane and Moreton Bay.
Magazines - You can't go past those published in the 40's and 50's. Endless depths of knowledge by great fisherman.
Dave
Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:57am
i'll second that Fishing for the fun of it by Ian Gall was a great insight into fishing mostly Moreton bay back in the day,brilliant read from this ex cartoonist.definately my favorite ."the scream of the reel" by budget books (not sure who wrote it) is another good one it is all just short stories by writers like zane grey,David scholes,Thomas Wellsby,Nino Culotta,Vic Mc Cristal,Peter Goadby ,Lance Wedlick etc theres even a story or two by Henry Lawson
that's no how ye make porridge!
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:06pm
I was lucky with my copy of Bethune on Bass..got it for $60.
All the Mc Cristal books are good...even found Top End Safari.
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:34am
As mentioned above, Fishing for the Fun of it by Ian Gall is a great read; as are all of Vic McCristal's books. 
The Complete Guide to Barramundi Fishing by Dick Eussen is informative and the techniques can be used on other fish.
Grant's Fishes of Australia, first edition, by Ern Grant has a chapter "Let's Go Fishing" where he outlines his choice of tackle and techiniques for various types of fishing.
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:25am
Great responses and good to see other book collectors out there.

I recently picked up a copy of Ian Gall's book and its a great read.
Other favourites include;

Wackett - My Hobby is Trout Fishing
Anything written by Bob Dunn or Peter Goadby who are such great writers
The Trout of Lake Pedder by Ned Terry (focus on fly fishing)
Bethune on Bass - a great read
Dick Lewers books - he was a wealth of knowledge on all things angling

and of course Vic Mc Cristals books are legendary

Was surprised that I had nearly 200 Australian fishing books without looking at magazines etc and another 200  international publications (half fly fishing, half general)

MXB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic