LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

australian lures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: australian lures
    Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 4:52am
I find it interesting how in different parts of the world, lures used for the same purpose evolved into different shapes,I've noticed a lot of Australian lures have a flattened sort of peanut shape with diving lip coming from front of lure . Also you guy's seem to make a lot of lures without ballast. Are there specific fishing conditions these lures are designed this way? Or is it because of timber types avaliable? Thanks in advance, glider
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 5:24pm
For my 2 cents worth, I believe it's due to a few reasons - 
-we have a very large number of species down here from the steamy tropical fresh and saltwater to snow field streams and lakes and cold antarctic ocean .
- we have some powerful fish species that also help to determine shapes and the type of timber used.
- we have a very healthy cottage lure industry that likes to try to come up with different shapes after many years of copying international styles.
- the peanut shaped lures I believe you are referring what we generally fish freshwater. Most of our native fresh water species are a type of perch (Murray cod is the largest perch species in the world - larger / or heavier then the Nile perch). This style of lure has a great reputation on our perch species- it is how our lures have evolved from the American "plug" lures which still catch our perches.

These are my thoughts. Will be interesting to see what other people thinkThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 6:02pm
Hi glider
its a good question and will be interesting to see different thoughts.
personally i think we have a lot of different timbers available that suit different style lures.
Ballast can and is at times still used, depends on what the maker is trying to achieve.
Sometimes using the different timbers we have available we can vary shapes styles to achieve certain requirements.
Ballast can be added to any lure to achieve many things, eg if you added ballast under the chin of a lure it could help give a lure a tighter head down action, you could also add ballast to make a lure suspend underwater, or slowly rise rather than quickly rise once retrieving stops.
so many scenarios....so many possibilities....
eg if you were going to make a surface lure, sould you use a heavy dense timber or lighter floating timber?
Would you add ballast to a surface lure? ( absolutely!) In some instances this could help achieve what you want, but also a change in timber can achieve similiar results.
Different timbers for diving lures achieve many results...same lure....one timber...works perfect....use a different timber and that lure can become a complete dud that will not swim, trial and error is best way to learn anything.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 7:59pm
Thanks reply guy's, your murray cod looks a beast of a fish.what i was wondering is why a lot of Australian lures seem to have that distinctive flattened curved shape, with lip coming out front. I thought maybe that shape lent itself to a lure without ballast ,or that it was stable in a cross current or there was some other specific reason for that body/lip style. I make everything from small to large cranks,gliders,trollers and surface lures with and without ballast, just curious how that ausie shape/style evolved.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 8:12pm
IMO the single biggest reason "most" Aussie timber lures don't have ballast is that they will be designed to carry heavier hooks than similar overseas lures. And we still want them to suspend or rise.
You won't find many people fishing American, Japanese or Chinese made lures with stock hooks for the species here.
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 8:25pm
That makes sense ducks and did cross my mind. Don't mean to pigeonhole australian lures as that one style, just curious as to why that style evolved. How does that style of lure compare across current with say the finnish/ rapala minnow shape?
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 8:50pm
I believe the flattened style of lure evolved from the T50 Flatfish which was (and still is) a very successful lure on Murray Cod. Newells Kadaitcha and McFeeters Aussie 100 are good examples and some southern lures like the original timber Stumpjumper and Oargee Plough... Probably not the best style of lure to work across current but very effective slow trolled...
Fysshe
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 4:29am
IAM PEENUTConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 5:11am
the lip as you call it, (bib) depending on the angle it is in the lure, will help it dive to different depths, as well the shape can give the lure it's action, wide sway or a tighter shake. i'm not a lure maker, just what i've been told by some very good lure makers........mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 5:14am
Good for you bassnbob,no idea what you're on about but good for you! ....regarding shape when slow trolling,that makes sense with the large front surface area. Do a fair bit trolling myself,might make a few and see how the fish in scotland like em.cheers
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:06am
Yes Glider it is very interesting how Lures are different around the world. I started make Wooden Lures when i first disqovered Lure Lovers in 2011 and got inspired. Have made spoons, and flies many years, and fished a few times with Rapala and ABU Lures. But it never got to me as it is now after i started make my own
First i made was a shallow Minnow type, but i must say i have taken up the Auissie way and made some with large front that work well here in Denmark, and still experimenting alot Smile
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:25am
Originally posted by glider glider wrote:

Good for you bassnbob,no idea what you're on about but good for you! ....regarding shape when slow trolling,that makes sense with the large front surface area. Do a fair bit trolling myself,might make a few and see how the fish in scotland like em.cheers
Murray cod lures have a wider action than say a Trout lure and the squashed peanut shape lends itself very well for this action,the shape also sees it getting down deep very quickly especially with a metal bib.give em a go glider if nothing else you can tow a bit of line off the back of one with a streamer fly attached ,some cod lures run very deep
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:27am
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

IAM PEENUTConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
stop drinking your goats medication Bob!
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:49am
Pj and puglee, cheers info,i will build a few and give em a shot just to see how they go.lI' let you know how they fair! And dear god bassnob-dont drink goat meds,you could get nanny goggles.
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 7:16am
T50 flatfish, knew that rung a bell, caught many salmon on kwikfish,pink pearl.works great for hanging over salmon lies,still got some i bought in from canada many years ago,saved the day a few times.
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 8:46am
No flattened peanuts here Wink

a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:37am
no ,awesome collection though TonyThumbs Up
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:26pm
Lovely collection of Tigers Tony Thumbs Up.

My pair of bass Nuts Smile.
Bad pic sorry.

Gristy
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:57pm
Very nice minnow patterns tony,1st thing I noticed is the fairly steep angle on the head /shoulders or face, is this to achieve depth quickly? If it is ,is this because you are fishing very clear and comparitively deep water ? In the waters over here, anything over 15 feet would be considered deep.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 2:16pm
The "Aussie" Tiger lures were developed originally from the American Heddon Tiger. They are not a very deep diver in their standard form and the narrow head shape and bib angle have little effect on speed of dive or depth capability as there is very little surface area. Some Tigers have a longer bib at a lesser angle that help them to achieve greater depths! (If you can follow that?)
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 2:27pm
As an example, these Killalure Barrabaits are typical Aussie Tiger style lures. The bottom one is a standard shallow runner and the top one, with its slightly longer bib at a lesser angle, will dive a lot deeper and quicker. These types of lures are usually made from bouyant timber (with no ballast) such as Red or Western Red Cedar.

Fysshe
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 5:27pm
Another reason why many of our freshwater lures don't have ballast is because we like them to float backwards when the pressure is taken off them. That is, when trolling or casting the lure, and you feel it burying into a snag, stop retrieving if casting and usually the lure will float backwards off the snag. We usually troll in the freshwater here with the rod at right angles out the side of the boat, if we feel it burying in into a snag we quickly point the tip of the rod towards the back (we call this "dropping back"), this usually allows enough slack in the line for the lure to float backwards off the snag. Lures for this have to be quite buoyant  - the more buoyant the more effective this drop back method is.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by grey nomad grey nomad wrote:

Lovely collection of Tigers Tony Thumbs Up.

My pair of bass Nuts Smile.
Bad pic sorry.

teeny weeny peanuts ,nice Thumbs Up
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 6:04pm
Glider, welcome to the site and may we at the Lure Lovers family offer you an apology for our Bobs comments (lack of sensible comment)the gate to the home unfortunately was left unbolted this morning and he found his way into society .The staff ( security thugs) have now located his whereabouts and now have him safely home (in a straight jacket in the rubber room). Dr Puglee,"head of medical dept(vetinary science enthusiast) and myself are looking into an alternative medication (something other than Goat syrup)to make for a happier Bobby and much more public friendly individual (sober human). Our Bobs comments don't reflect "ALL" lure lovers members thoughts (well most of them)more of a real diagnosis of his condition (lots of poking and prodding)will be made public when suitable,(maybe never)thanks again for your concerns ,the medical staff at Lure Lovers (the sane people). ...............OH Nurse ????
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 6:16pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Mr Viper Mr Viper wrote:

Glider, welcome to the site and may we at the Lure Lovers family offer you an apology for our Bobs comments (lack of sensible comment)the gate to the home unfortunately was left unbolted this morning and he found his way into society .The staff ( security thugs) have now located his whereabouts and now have him safely home (in a straight jacket in the rubber room). Dr Puglee,"head of medical dept(vetinary science enthusiast) and myself are looking into an alternative medication (something other than Goat syrup)to make for a happier Bobby and much more public friendly individual (sober human). Our Bobs comments don't reflect "ALL" lure lovers members thoughts (well most of them)more of a real diagnosis of his condition (lots of poking and prodding)will be made public when suitable,(maybe never)thanks again for your concerns ,the medical staff at Lure Lovers (the sane people). ...............OH Nurse ????
As stated by Mr Viper Bob has now been contained in his cell and i'm happy to report he is now sedated and resting with his favorite rubber goat.Dr Nicho and myself are working on a new treatment for poor Bobs peenut problem we will keep you informedWinkLOL
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:15am
I along with Dr Puglee have been searching the internet for a solution to poor BOBS "peanut" problem, many interesting sites have been found, and many offer the possible answer to Bobs woes, in the way of an "enlargement"!
Apparently the size of ones peanut can be increased dramatically by several methods, all with easy to follow instructions, and a money back gaurantee!
Mr Viper has offered to oversee these processes and help Bob apply any cream/fittings/ insertions or other oddities as required, we will keep you updated (pardon the pun).
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

I along with Dr Puglee have been searching the internet for a solution to poor BOBS "peanut" problem, many interesting sites have been found, and many offer the possible answer to Bobs woes, in the way of an "enlargement"!
Apparently the size of ones peanut can be increased dramatically by several methods, all with easy to follow instructions, and a money back gaurantee!
Mr Viper has offered to oversee these processes and help Bob apply any cream/fittings/ insertions or other oddities as required, we will keep you updated (pardon the pun).

ShockedShockedShockedBig smile And you reckon I'm strange LOLLOLLOL.
Gristy
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:01am
just shoot him.......mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

just shoot him.......mick

Who ?? Nicho, Dr Puglee or Mr Viper Big smile.

Or should I just put the Big Round human (Bob) out of his misery ?? ConfusedLOLLOL
Gristy
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 5:14pm
Thats gold Mr Viper!
cheers steiny
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 7:35am
I don't think the Large Human has got to read his own press yet ??? Must be still in theatre
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 12:31pm
ALL fun & jokes aside i have been shot once WinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 1:52pm
Did it bounce BOB??? Cheers Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 5:46pm
let me tell ya, it would only take one.......mick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic