Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

auto air colours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: auto air colours
    Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 9:47pm
has anyone used the autoair colours water based . do you need to use the white sealer undercoat they sell with them or can you use a thinner based undercoat that im already using . ive been using a norglass white undercoat ... that stuff sticks to anything and it works well with the 2pac base colors I use .   
I know the auto air colors can be cleared with 2pac clear which is what I want to be able to keep doing .
...very interested in ordering these autocolors tonight . hope someone knows something about these paints ....thanks aaron
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 9:58pm
Aaron, according to their application guide ...http://www.autoaircolors.com/files/hard_surface_guide.pdf
Auto Air Colors and Wicked Colors are universally compatible with most any primer, paint and clear type. When applying overother type primer or base paint, allow under-lying coating to cure, then scuff with 600-grit, prior to applying Auto Air or WickedColors. Urethane clears recommended as top-coat, however, many other clear types are also compatible, test first.

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 10:05pm
thanks for that brad ..... looks like im going to hit the order and pay button tonight .....cheers aaron
mark2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 6:51am
Hi Arron, I used auto air colours for about a year, great paint if you have time you have to build colours up 4 coats to get a solid colour heat gun between each coat, I use iwata air brushes strip down and unblock 3 times a day.dry time to slow where I live I mount gambier, I have gone back to thinners based acrylic, some of the first lures I posted on the forum were auto air, pm me if you have questions.
Mark
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 10:58am
thanks mark .. will still use the 2pac aswell but needed something for at night in the cave will probally use on the smaller ones ....have a few questions so will message very soon .. thanks aaron
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:20pm
Aaron,

Have also used them and also moved away from them. Found they just dont compare to solvent based. You can certainly 2pac them with no dramas but I found no matter what I tried, I could not get the paint to adhear to either solvent primer OR their own sealer white. No such issue with solvent paints so moved back to them.

I am pondering whether or not to try the wicked paints with the new reducer that they have just started selling. Just got to decide whether I am being too precious with the delamination issue or not.

As per marks comment, PM me if you need any advise. For what it is worth I dont think it was specific to Autoair, I recon it is water based paints in general and 2Pac topcoat, being reliant on mechanical keying between layers cant beat solvent keying.

Angus
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 6:49pm
thanks angus ....with what I spent on them I have no choice to have a crack at them now ...lol ....had a good yarn on the phone  to the fella at airbrushmega store today ... they sound the goods but understand what you guys are saying .
he did say just fan dry them and should be ok between coats if I do 30 plus lures at a time . that way I start with one then once around to the start again they should be flashed of ...I hope ..
 he also told me you can spray thinner based paints over top of them . will message you both when they arrive this week ..... thanks aaron  
N.Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N.Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 3:38pm
I use them and love them. I use 3 coats of acrylic primer filler as an undercoat then two coats of dipped acrylic in a gloss white.

The lures are then ready to be sprayed straight over with out any problem. I will never use any other paints as these have no fumes and can be sprayed at night.

Where I live in QLD is a lot warmer than Mt Gambier so perhaps they need warmer conditions.

I too use an Iwata .5 mm airbrush and they need to be cleaned with water every 20 minutes or with the Auto Air Restorer every hour. It only takes me under a minute to clean the gun like new.

No fumes was the turning point for me.
N.Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N.Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 3:39pm
I have about 40 different colours and like most of them however the semi opaques are no use to me. Also the metallic silver I hated however the Pearl Silver is a winner
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 4:39pm
that's what my idea was no fumes and to be able to paint at night .. I ended up ordering a fair bit so hope I can say what you just did .... I look forward to them arriving .....cheers aaron
Jimbo42 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Jungle Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:06pm
Aaron,I have recently switched to Autoair colors and find them brilliant to use.I use their sealer first,white normally bit I add a drop or two of the dark sealer for the silver and gold.I haven't had any problems spraying them but I use a Iwata suction not a gravity.The metal flakes can block the needle openings.I finish with a 2 pac clear with no problems.
Tried to ring but only got the message bank.I'll try again later.I have a question about the use of Arraldite.

Cheers

jimboThumbs Up
There are no problems,only solutions
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jungle-Lures
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 7:45pm
no worries aaron, pm whenever and I will pass on whatever info I can. Like others have said, they are good paints, I liked them but couldnt get over the issue I found. 

Angus
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 9:05pm
Aaron- can't remember the last time I used 'auto acrylics', no doubt they are easy to use but when it comes to mixing colours and cleaning up I don't think I could go past w/b acrylics .
(never used 'Auto Air' , I'm too tightLOL).

I think, like with any w/b acrylic you would need to dry them between colours, this does not mean compleatly dry, but just hit them for 15 -30 sec with a hairdryer so they 'skin' then you can paint over them-- When you are finished let them dry for at least 12 hours so the layers can cure, I think you will be amazed at how tough they are when cured--If there is no sun for drying, a reading lamp with a hot bulb is handy in our winter climate. A tub of acrylic 'Matte Medium' is also handy.

Not denegrating anyone who uses Auto Ac's because they are certainly quick, and there are some great colours, but this is just what I'm used to.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Vicious Fishes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 2:34pm
No fumes doesn't mean they are safe.
Any atomised paint breathed in can't be good for you.

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Vicious Fishers Vicious Fishers wrote:

No fumes doesn't mean they are safe.
Any atomised paint breathed in can't be good for you.

Steve
yes your probably right steve but they are  way safer than two pacs or acrylic lacquers also your nieghbors are less likely to complain about the smellLOL
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 10:07pm

they arrived the other day still not used them yet .. agree still need to where a mask . spoke to the fella about them told me to have a light fan on them and once finished give them some heat as its been mentioned above .  so I set up a spot where I can shut the door on them and let them dry ...heres how I went about it with what I could find around house .  now to paint something and see if it all works ....cheers aaron

Jimbo42 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Jungle Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:35am
Great set up Aaron,very similar to mine except mine is not so flash. I ring soon as I am going to have a go at the surface walkers and will need some advice.

Jimbo
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 12:36pm
that's a flash set up Aaron,you could put a light fitting with a bulb in there to heat it too
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 12:49pm
I was thinking that aswell . when back from eildon next week think I might have to fit a couple .......cheers aaron
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 12:54pm
Maybe to preserve space look at the bathroom fittings that will run a fan and heat lamps off the same circuit?
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 3:10pm
Aaron,

that looks like a sweet setup. I look forward to seeing some fo the creations.

Angus
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:09pm
Very nice, and tidy Aaron - just thinking, maybe you need a duct on that fan, otherwise it might just circulate round and round Big smile ????.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:54pm
ive started to have a paint with them . so far I like them .... pete that's an exhaust fan . the fella told me just a light breeze running over them .so far it seems to be working ...ducks I was thinking of that when I got this fan . see what happens I think .
 will need some sort of light set up in there and another box with fan in it . have a lot of lures to paint ...cheers aaron
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:18pm
to many colors to choose from  .I started to get a bit lost on what to do . heres a couple not cleared ... need to sort out some patterns to stick to now . found the paint needs a bit of a bake before using stencils so i just used some mesh here and there . will sort things out properly with it all now .
the thing i like is you don't have to clear with in 8 hours like im used to with 2pac . they can be put away and cleared with 2pac at anytime later on . paint away at night over a week till there built up then just clear them when ready .....   cheers aaron
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:27pm
Lookin Good Aaron Clap
You seem to have a knack for colours and painting, maybe a career as a interior decorator is around the corner Wink
Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:27am
Very nice Aaron
Fish Choking Lures :)
Jimbo42 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Jungle Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:18am
sensational AaronThumbs Up
Jimbo
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:16am
Very interesting and a lovely finish Aaron, has anybody tried the industry standard test on them for delamination? Cross hash with a Stanley knife, then rub down a piece of masking tape over the scored section and rip it off, if it survives that without paint stuck on the tape you are onto a winner Thumbs Up
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:50am
Cheers fellas .. Brad interior deco ya reckon . My daughter wants to be one might have to join in with her ..                                  
Paul will give the cross a go next week and let you know what it's like .. With these though I just paint over some already undercoated ones just to see if I didn't have to rub the lure back first with some fine paper . Then was going to try what you've mentioned ... Cheers Aaron
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:35pm
very nice Aaron , I just love the way you use colours . Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 1:58pm
Aaron

They look great. Will be very interested to see how your test goes. Dont use too much heat on the stuff unless it is dried through, if you apply to much heat too quickly you will get a skin on it, the paint will look dry ontop and be wet underneath. As its waterbased, that layer will not dry as the moisture is trapped. What I did was take the heating element out of a hair dryer so it was essentially a handheld blower. Did you get the application video? If not PM me your address and I will send you my one if I can find it. Dont know if I still have it or not but if I do you are welcome to it.

The time between paint finish and clear is also a bonus, just make sure dust doesnt settle on it. I recall leaving some of my paint jobs for at least two weeks with no ill-effect when cleared. That was great. Best I have found from a solvent perspective is Dupont paint which can be left for three days max before clearing.

Paul,

I cant say I have ever done your test without 2Pak clear, but I can tell you in my experience, regardless of the age of the 2pak (I have tried 2 hours to 2 months), if you get a stanly knife and slice under the topcoat you can peel the clear and paint away from the substraight. This is why I stopped using these paints and have not been able to solve this problem with either Createx, Wicked or Auto-air (Auto-bourne variety). I moved away from it to solvent because in my opinion delamintation with solvent paints is more likely a user problem and not a product problem. Get it right and you will not get the delamination under the same test, things will "chip away" and you cant get the stanly knife under.

In my experience 2pac sticks extremely well to the auto-air paint as they claim, it is just the paint does not stick to the substrate very well due to the nature of mechanical keying. This is what I found in my tests. clear and paint would come clean away from the substrate. I also found that the delamination was not limited to to just the raw substrate, I also found the clear and paint would delaminate from the Auto-Air sealer white product.

These just my observations and testing I performed over a couple month period. When I started painting I went to waterbased with high hope, found this problem and couldnt get it sorted so moved back to solvent and much happier. No delamination that I am aware.

These just my observations on the product, I really hope the more people use this stuff, the more chance there is to find a solution (even if it is my technique) as I would prefer to use it over the solvent. Its cheaper and less toxic. Untill then I will be sticking with solvent.

Angus
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 3:23pm
cheers angus I will be playing around with it for a bit I guess . have asked the fella from airbrush mega a few questions which im still going to muck around with it . ive spoken to paul about the cross hash with the knife a couple of times and will be doing that with a few different undercoats next week .
I don't think I got the dvd in the box will message you tonight .
going away in morning till sunday that's why I slapped some paint on a heap to see how some things go with it all .     looks like a bit to sort out yet but still have all my 2pac base coats sitting there as I will be using them still .... thanks aaron
Dean Cain View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Cain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 11:32pm
Hello gentalmen im new to here so be easy on me if I make some mistakes...lol. Im very familer with solvent based paint and water because I have been using them on autos for over 30 yrs. The have changed over the years but the still work the kinda the same way. I been painting lures for about 4 years now I mainly use auto solvent paint mainly because I can get it free and am used to it. Solvent based paint bites into the coats under them thats why some times you have wrinkle problems with different kinds of paints. The plactic lures I paint most of the time with solvent based I dont even sand it eats in to the plastic some. I have made some mistakes and had to repaint some and strip and have found it had ate in very well. I also love the auto air brand but dont think it holds up as long.

I use a two part epoxy clear. Im not sure if that is what you guys are calling 2pac clear. I would be very interested to find out what kind of clears everyone uses as the epoxy I use is very tempermental and can give you trouble..
                                          Thans Dean
Life is to short not to help others learn
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 12:48am
G'day Dean
                   I reckon the majority using 2 pac clears would be Urethane based not Epoxy. Cheers Paul
Dean Cain View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Cain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 6:06am
Ok that's good too thanks.
Life is to short not to help others learn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic