LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Welcome area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baby tiger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby tiger
    Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:56pm
Hey guys,

I’m new to your forum but not new to the addiction of Australian wooden lures. As my heading states I wanted to share with you a picture of one of my all time favourite lures, Carl Grist’s Cooktown Baby Tiger. I bought this one about 25 years ago when I was finishing high school. It has caught me a heap of Barra and black beam in the fresh. I took it out last weekend and retro fitted some singles to it! Amazing lure just kept getting eaten. Carl you have some amazing talent. What a shame these are not available anymore! I’d buy tons of the little champions.
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:18pm
So in reading another post I hear that the pink/purple may have been made by Bruce rampton instead of Carl. I’d love to get some more info. I’m guessing it was purchased around 1990. Cheers Ben
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 6:34am
welcome to LureLovers Timberman theres a section on C'Lures in the queensland lures section .heres a thread from it that you might find interesting http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/c-lures-the-makers_topic98.html .Your right about the Baby tigers they're an awesome little lureThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 6:48am
Cheers puglee62. I’ll slip over and check that out.t
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Timberman Timberman wrote:

So in reading another post I hear that the pink/purple may have been made by Bruce rampton instead of Carl. I’d love to get some more info. I’m guessing it was purchased around 1990. Cheers Ben

Hi Ben, the lure you have there is a Mealy Bug not a Baby Tiger. It was made for Sootys an JP's, 
circa 89-90, colour is a pink baitfish, electric blue over pink fluoro will give a purpleish look,
also had a green, silver and gold baitfish, first made the baitfish colours around mid 80's, only made around 100 of these Mealy Bugs between 89-91. 

So sorry, but I will have to lay claim to the lure and colour Smile.

Cheers Carl 
Gristy
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:44am
Hi Carl, with complete respect to all that’s followed you, I must say I am wrapped to hear that I have a Grist original!! Is this where people smash me for actually using it last weekend for monster sootys?

The lure is and has always been a favourite of mine. It will now take pride and place in a display like it should. I’m surprised that only a hundred were made. They are bloody amazing in the water and catch everything. I would buy the full hundred now.

My next question if I may, the paint had started to crack and flake. This was assisted by 4 sets of rapids and a 46cm and 47cm sooty. My lure now looks like this .....see below. So my question is what’s the correct way to go about a restoration? I would love to have it returned to its former glory with respect paid to you Carl. Can any members suggest someone who could repaint this beauty for me?
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:47am
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:49am
Not sure if Carl does rebuilds himself?  That would obviously be cool.
I have got a few rebuilt classic timbers by Fysshe (Ian Salmon) that are awesome - with respect paid to original colours/styles/etc.
If you search on here for "hybrid" you will see examples of work from a few people who bring stuff back to life.

Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:12am
Yes Ducks, a Carl restoration would be the ultimate but his retirement is probably more important than playing with lures anymore.

Needless to say, thanks to Carls post, this lure has become even more special to me. I had no idea that so few were made.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:45am
Welcome to the site mate. By the back ground of one of your photos, I take it that you fish the Barron River either above or below Tinaroo?
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:55am
Hi Martin,

Spot on mate. Bloody hell you don’t miss a thing.   I fish both cause they are so close and I can spend less time travelling and more time fishing. The Barron above the dam seems to hold bigger fish. My pb came out of a spot above 4 waterfalls from the dam and took me well and truely by surprise.
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:01am
Ben, can you access your PM's ? cause you have mail.
Gristy
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:51am
Carl, I don't think Ben can access his PM's yet until he updates his profile! Nice little lure that one, haven't seen one of those before... Thumbs Up
Fysshe
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:03am
Hi fysshe, I don’t have access to on yet. I have updated my profile and it all looks correct according to the forum rules. I’m not sure how long it takes to be verified. Cheers ben
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:04am
Hi Carl, I dont have access to pm’s yet. I have made my email visible one my profile so in the mean time you could email me direct if you wanted to on benstratton@live.com.au

Thanks heaps
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:13am
http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/important-please-check-your-profile_topic19648.html
Make sure you follow all the steps (including replying on the post to trigger Tony to take a look.)
Cheers
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:21pm
jeez i thought your lure was a little fat for a Tiger,did'nt want to mention it in case Carl made a thicker versionLOL
Timberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

jeez i thought your lure was a little fat for a Tiger,did'nt want to mention it in case Carl made a thicker versionLOL

Just big boned
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:26pm
.LOLLOLLOL
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:46am
Very interesting information
Cheers Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic