LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bagley McBass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdemat3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bagley McBass
    Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:32am
Hello All,

New Here.  I came across these lures going through my old tackle box.  I got these lures in in the mid to late 80's or early 90's from my grandfather who worked for Bagley.  I cannot find any information on them whatsoever anywhere on the internet.  I emailed Bagley Baits and they had no record of them either other than they appear to be promotional lures from that time.  I'm not sure if there were 10,000 of them made, or if these 2 were made to put in front of the McDonald's Charity as demos and no others were made.  Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Jdemat3367 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdemat3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:40am
Here are other pictures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 5:54am
THATS cool bagley make great bass lures i fish alot of the silver bait fish patterns they work a treat love emClapClapClapClapregards bob
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:45pm
What a cool promo lureClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdemat3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 5:17am
Yes, Like I said my grandfather worked directly for Jim Bagley in the 80's as a public relations manager.  I'm assuming he gave them to him to show the McDonald's charity that was sponsoring a tournament in Texas. Then my grandfather gave them to me.  They were never packaged from what I recall.  I'm wondering if these are 2 of a kind, or if thousands were produced.  I emailed Bagley baits and the current president responded and had no record of these lures being made.  That being said Bagley has been sold a few times so records do get lost.  my internet searches have returned nothing.

Thanks,
Joe 
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Jdemat3367 Jdemat3367 wrote:

Yes, Like I said my grandfather worked directly for Jim Bagley in the 80's as a public relations manager.  I'm assuming he gave them to him to show the McDonald's charity that was sponsoring a tournament in Texas. Then my grandfather gave them to me.  They were never packaged from what I recall.  I'm wondering if these are 2 of a kind, or if thousands were produced.  I emailed Bagley baits and the current president responded and had no record of these lures being made.  That being said Bagley has been sold a few times so records do get lost.  my internet searches have returned nothing.

Thanks,
Joe 

The lure shape is a Small Fry Bass. Here's from the 1986 catalog.
And I'm SURE your color is special order....and chances are worth quite a bit.

Lake Fork has had a Mcdonalds tournament since 2000

Maybe contact the guy that runs this Bagley website

http://thecolorsofbagleys.com/

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdemat3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:12am
Thanks Dave!

I contacted him and he seems very interested.  Any idea on how much they potentially are worth?  I have looked around and some that are just rare colors are worth hundreds let alone the unique name on them.

Joe
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdemat3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 2:14am
Well I just got an offer for $700 for the pair, but honestly I think they're worth more.  Besides that I don't know if I want to sell them because they came from my grandfather and I'm not strapped for cash.  I know if he was here today he'd tell me to SELL SELL SELL!

Here's my thought process.
Rare Color
Rare Name
I have both small fry models (Shallow and diver) in the same custom color and rare name (The complete set so to speak).
These very well may be the only 2 of these in the world based on my research.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:00am
Hi Joe, my thoughts.

If you don't need the cash, keep em, once sold you can't get em back.

Make a nice timber stand for them and keep it on your desk, will always be a good reminder of 
your grandfather. 

Nice pair of lures mate.

Gristy
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:08am
I agree.
Who knows...
If it's not hurting you to sit on them for a while you might decide to let them go down the track for the next offer, or you might get so attached to seeing them they become a family treasure for a lot longer.
But if they are as rare as they seem to be, I doubt it will be your last offer.
As for valuing them - they're worth whatever someone is prepared to pay, and what you're willing to accept.  So far, it seems they are worth >$700 :-D
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 4:43pm
Keep them mate. Your thought process is good, but as you don't need the money, keep them as momentos of your grandfather.
Martin-

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdemat3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 6:29am
Thank you all,

I've decided to hang on to them for now.  I appreciate all of your insight on the subject.

Thanks,
Joe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:05pm
Good callThumbs Up
Martin-

Ryukyudiver View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryukyudiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:58pm
Fantastic pair of bagley's. What did you decide to do with them?
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:00am
Get a good stand with covers put in a few moisture absorption crystals in there, place them out of direct sunlight you will always have a talking peice, heirloom especially if you make the the case yourself on the underside put a discription ,history and what you made the box from  If leave the hooks on secure them so they don't damage the paint finish people always wants to shake'em 
Adding to the story is what its all about. 
You will always regret their sale if you don't really need the cash 
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdemat3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 5:35am
I still have them and keeping them safe.  Every now and then I pull them out and look at them.  I even had an ebay seller offer me quite a bit for them so I'm glad I hung on to them!
Rocket*Surgeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket*Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:16am
Thise are pretty rare and desirable lures. If you decide to let them go, contact me and I’ll put you onto someone who will offer a fair price for them....I’d make an offer if I could, but don’t have the extra $$ right now. (Maybe in the near future.

Andy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Jdemat3367 Jdemat3367 wrote:

I still have them and keeping them safe.  Every now and then I pull them out and look at them.  I even had an ebay seller offer me quite a bit for them so I'm glad I hung on to them!

Without saying how much you were offered, was the previous $700 offer a low offer or a very low offer compared to the new offer?

Glad you kept themClap
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic