LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lure Market > LureLovers.com Cottage Industry Lure Market > Barambah Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barambah Dragons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barambah Dragons
    Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:22pm

Where has the last three months gone?! It has been a blur for me since the Lure Expo. 99% due to the Barambah Dragons.  

Two weeks prior to the expo, I was in the middle of trying to finish off a big batch of cod divers, when I came up with the idea of making a big jointed swimbait for cod - in the shape of an Eastern Water Dragon. It quickly took shape, and with a bit of pool testing and modifying I got it to swim really well! I was so excited by them! So, I decided to try to make a small batch in time for the Expo. That is when the pain started! 

I managed to make up 19 Barambah Dragons for the 2016 Expo, with many late nights! But most still needed bibs to be glued in and rigged with hooks. They got great feedback there though, and I sold out, all bar one on the first day. It quickly sold day two and I took a bunch of orders. 

Since then I have been making dragons pretty much full time. Many long days and late nights. I am steadily refining and speeding up my processes, but they are a big animal to make. Five segments, eleven wires in each lure. hand cut bibs still, and the painting isn't a quick affair. The biggest killer though is the shaping and sanding. 

Although I have made my own rough copy lathe from an old wood lathe bed and pieces of a mountain bike. It does the shaping, but there is still so much sanding, and detail work, before the cutting into segments and more sanding…..

There are two sizes, the small model is around 250 mm and 65g, large is around 285 mm and 85 – 90 grams. I add lead weights to four of the five segments for balance and improved casting and action.

I have made and sold over 70 so far, and currently working on another split batch of 75 or so. Including a dozen nudes. Most are already sold, I stopped taking orders 6 weeks ago, as it was getting out of hand. I am still not taking orders, or dibs on lures. But once I fill all orders I will have a couple left over to put up on Lure Lovers for sale.

Sorry to all those waiting on crays, that is another reason I am not taking more orders. I have to get on top of dragons to make the Crays before 2016 is out. So many lures, so little time!

Anyway here are some pics for those who haven’t seen them elsewhere. A few pics of them at various stages of production also. 

Cheers,

Matt

Cod Classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cod Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm
Simply BRILLIANT!

Well done Matt
codyak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:38am
That is one nice looking lure mate the nudes will be great.

Blake..
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:40am
THINK ive seen that grey one in me garden mat awesome lookin lizards well done ClapClapClapClapregards bob
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 7:10am
Great lures Matt, I seen them at the expo but was too late to buy one. These things are awesome guys, grab one when and if you can!Thumbs Up
Cheers,

Gavin
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:20am
True talent Matt.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:27am
How good are they
brendan t
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:28am
Great looking lures Matt. Well done. Regards Chris.
All my braids gone!
TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:30am
They are some of the most sensational lures I have ever seen! Fantastic
34 South
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:07am
Perfection as always Matt
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 2:45pm
Thanks for the great comments! Each batch I am improving slightly on paintwork and detail. 

The next batch of nudes are pretty cool, I can't wait to get them finished to show them off. 

I have to again thank so many lure makers who have shared their wealth of knowledge with me. You guys know who you are. It is truly appreciated!

Matt
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:39pm
Awesome lures Matt.....very unique mate
cheers steiny
DocYarrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocYarrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 7:48pm
Awesome stuff Matt.
These looked outstanding in the flesh at the Expo.
Keep up the great work mate!
Cheers,

Troy
Krisco82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krisco82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 8:13pm
Love your work mate. Brilliant
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 10:15pm
Fantastic mate is all i can say and can i buy two please?
THE CODFATHER
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:25pm
Every time I see a water dragon now i always think looks like one of Matts lures has escaped
Cheers Graeme
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 1:37pm
They look great matt.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Rocket*Surgeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket*Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 1:40pm
Fantastic lures Matt !
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 5:30pm
ClapClapClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 8:24pm
top shelf Matt!Clap
that's no how ye make porridge!
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:41pm
Matt I simply love these
Thankyou for creating them
Cheers
Justin

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 11:12pm
First time I have seen these or anything like them.
A definite display of imagination,pacients and artistic craftsmanship.
I would never have the ability to undertake such a task and have to admire those that do especially when it is done so well.
Cant wait to see a pic of a nice fish hanging of one
Cheers Kimo
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:09am
Thanks again to everyone, to get such positive comments is very encouraging! and there are many times I need that to keep plugging away at making them. 

Here is the first Cod caught on a Barambah Dragon, an 80 plus model from Copeton by Troy Boulton. On a dragon from the first batch sold at the Expo. 

Cheers,
Matt
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:45pm
proofs in the pudding!,Thumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
WOW it is amazing with this website. Every time i open it, there is some new stunning made Lures to look at Smile
These are absolutly some off those stunning Lures Big smile

you all have a great day
                        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:19pm
Thats what its all about...now get out of the shed and go get yourself a cod

Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 9:53am
Thanks PJ!! Really nice words, and this is a great place to show and tell. 

Nicho, only a couple more weeks to get through this batch then I have to get out!!! 

Crazy hours at the moment, cannot keep this up for too much longer.

Matt
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:18am
Last batch of timber Barambah Dragons for 2016 is well underway, 23 painted and a dozen or so nudes. 

I took the time to play with paints and patterns with a few and came up with some pretty crazy colour combos on some. Lots of standard naturals again as that colour is very popular. 

The nudes are a Camphor laurel, Silky Oak and a couple Cedars. The first few got some clear coat last night and the colours of the timbers popped nicely. 

Lots to go to finish off this batch and get them out the door. Then its time to go urethane to satisfy the fishos market. 

Most of these Dragons are going to orders, but I will sell two or three off here on Lure Lovers later next week. 7 to 11 Nov. Don't PM me please. 

Oh a few Blue tongues in the last pic. all sold sorry. I will put up a seperate post to show these off when they are finished. I have enjoyed the carving on these, learning new skills all the time. 

Cheers,

Matt

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:24am
Looking great matt

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:36am
Matt, these lures look fantastic!
Some of the best work I have seen Clap
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:33am
Thanks Nicho! Just about over making the timber ones. 

But it is nice when they are finished and people appreciate them.

Cheers
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:35am
Thanks Harte, much appreciated! 

Makes the effort worthwhile to get such good feedback,

Cheers,
Matt
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by matt fraser matt fraser wrote:

Most of these Dragons are going to orders, but I will sell two or three off here on Lure Lovers later next week. 7 to 11 Nov. Don't PM me please.

Love these ! But , I have to ask , Will they be sold at a price where they can be used ? As after seeing the prices last night on Face Book , No way in hell am I going to pay over $100 for a lure that is going to be used Confused
 Seems to me lately , there is a fad of making lures just for the big money Cry
I like pretty painted sticks
fluffnstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 7:34pm
Great project Matt, love your lure making and the courage and conviction to take on a project like this... for too long now talented craftsmen have missed out on the reward for their hard work and talent for the hours they put in. 
Enjoy the rewards Matt
Cheers 
Scott
Phil83s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil83s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:03pm
New addition to my box.... huge thanks to Matt from BARAMBAH Lures . Very,very excited.!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic