Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Barra King
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BarraKings June2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BarraKings June2013
    Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 9:41am
I'm slowly adding to my collection, due to trading with members, I've now also acquired an original Henry backing card, as shown. Still have gaps to fill, mainly in deepdivers, but also still chasing the elusive solid blue in 4". If anyone sees one they have, and are willing to swap, I have three doubles and other tasty timbers to trade. Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 10:30am
Impressive collection Tony
You have worked hard ,to get it to that stageThumbs Up
Need a close up on the backing card ,any idea on the period for that.

thanks for posting

regards John
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 11:31am
Great looking display Tony, thanks for sharing, regards Chris
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 1:08pm
It is filling up fast Tony.....looking good too!
cheers steiny
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 5:58pm
Well done Tony very impressive.
The Journey is the Reward

Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 6:34pm
Very nice display
I think I found one of these here in Tas at a second hand shop
Thanks Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 10:24am
Here's that 'close-up' for you John, very pleased to have this, (thanks Carl) sets off the display. These are like 'hens teeth', as people posted them back to Henry for a free lure offer and others were naturally thrown away, which most people do. These were only printed from 1981-86, then the cards bear Ron Dau's name and address. I've had it laminated since this picture, to preserve condition.                Regards, Seaweed.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 12:04pm
Thanks Tony
beesknees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beesknees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 10:33pm
Tony the collection is looking great. Had a yarn to Henry yesterday, he can't recall ever doing a solid blue.But could be proved wrong. these are some of the blues he did. Regards Ian
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 10:11am
I stand corrected Ian, it is the top one in your pic that I meant, more silver than blue, have one in 6" still chasing the 4" in shallow and deep. Have the middle one with the gold flanks in both depths, that bottom one looks interesting. Don't forget to write me up in your will, before your African Safari next month LOL.
Regards, Seaweed.
beesknees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beesknees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 5:19pm
I do have a double in the top one (silver with blue) but am concerned as to where you will fit it with what appears to be no room left on your display. Regards Ian
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by beesknees beesknees wrote:

I do have a double in the top one (silver with blue) but am concerned as to where you will fit it with what appears to be no room left on your display. Regards Ian
Yeah , he probably won't want it LOLLOL
Benno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 6:16pm
Looks great Tony. Now you need to find a way to hang some where they belong, up the top end of the map :D
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 7:54pm
Tony...if you removed the belly hook on all the hanging lures then you could fit more lures on, and no chance of scratched paint....???

I see some have been removed already.
cheers steiny
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 10:53am
Thanks for your concerns guys, but I have the solution, after filling the top edge of the map I'll remove the 3" and 6" and display them elseware. That gives me more room for the 4" ones I don't have.
So don't fret Ian, just send them up LOL
Would have loved to be have been at the Expo, when the chap walked up to Tony M, even had some new in packets, bugger, now have to find a 'yellow' backing card.
Seaweed.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 10:03am
Thanks to Ian (BeesKnees), now have a pair of yellow 4" 'Floater' cards from Henry era, also a pair of backing cards for the 6" lures, which I've never seen before. Ian also sent up a beaut 3" in rare round bib (very early) in Gold/Silver, thanks again Ian.
Need to update my board picture, as I've added a few more lately, a few deep-divers aswell.
Will do this on my return home.
Regards, Seaweed.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

Would have loved to be have been at the Expo, when the chap walked up to Tony M, even had some new in packets, bugger, now have to find a 'yellow' backing card.
Seaweed.

Your collection is looking awesome Tony

That gentleman did have some amazing lures, he also seemed to have very good taste as he would not consider parting with his Barra Kings nor his timber Reidy's  CryLOL

I might possibly have a spare yellow backing card here, if I can find it I'll send it to you (while it's now  a little more organised with some extra display space I recently organised my lure room is still fairly chaotic) 
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 7:20am
Thanks for the offer Tony, but I have plenty of backing cards now thanks to LL members. Be very interested in seeing a pic of your BarraKing collection though. I have a double or two, maybe we can work something out. I'll post an updated photo of my board on my return to Darwin.
Regards, Seaweed.
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 9:26am
Gristy
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 10:03am
I certainly don't have one of them Carl Cry Special lure that one!
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 11:33am
Only about 4 or 5 ever done in that colour combo in that one style/size lure, according to Aileen.

Did have another one but was offered a trade I could not knock back Thumbs Up.
Gristy
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 7:00am
Very nice Carl, early round bib and red gill line base of head, must be 1981-82 and possibly still called a 'Halls Lure' at this stage. Not quite sure when George Voukolos of Darwin gave them the 'BarraKing' moniker. Maybe a check with the Hall's to find out, be interested to know myself.
Seaweed.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 8:02am
Earliest of the early, Bundy era ??? Estapol finish coat, Henry did not remember doing it.
I have five of them Big smile.

Gristy
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 9:51am
They look awesome Carl...well done!
cheers steiny
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:12am
Nice round bibbed early ones Carl, you say Bundy era, very interesting?
Here are all my early ones, but only two round bibbed. I had a double in grey covered in Estapol, it was yellowed through age and was peeling. Gave to my Darwin LL mate Pecheur, as he didn't have a 4" HH.
Seaweed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic