LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass on lures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass on lures
    Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 1:13pm
Well over the last 3 years I've caught 1656 mostly wild Bass, so I guess it seems right to start there. 
These are straight from my tackle box, but not all of them. I carry about 50 lures with me at any time but about half are doubles of the same model in a different colour.
These are my favourite for Bass on the surface.
They are from top left
Ripple Crank by Gidgee Lures here in Qld. It's got a great action and best suited for beginners.
River 2 Sea Bubble Pop, got this one stuck in the palm of my hand once.
Sammy 65, it takes a bit of work through your wrist to get a great action.
Unknown, would love to know. Very similar to a Sammy.
Another GidgeeLure, a Kelpie. Great casting distance. But the hooks are a bit far apart for small Bass.
Another R2S, this time a walk the dog style. The Rover, like the Kelpie the hooks are a bit far apart.

Sub surface lures and Divers
Top left is a MegaBass, a gift and way over priced. But a great lure for Bass.
The clear Knols Native, I think the best casting Aussie lure ever.
RMG Scorpion, deep and shallow. 
Eco Gear SX60, best Bass diver around for me. 
RIO's Prawn is great along the weed edges. 
The Spinnerbait would be the most successful Bass lure ever made, this one was $2.00 off Ebay. I'm a fan of the single Colorado blade.
Also's in there would be Stumpie's, Rapala RNR 50 and Jackall TN50

I hope this gets the ball rolling and we get to see what you use.
Tagged and released
the duke View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Gidgee Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:16am
Great post Craig, will be good to see others fav lures.

Have a lure to solve your problem with the hooks being to far apart, I will send you up a Pup a smaller version of the Kelpie.

Cheers
Tom
mearzie View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mearzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:51am
great lures graig and a nice post, got to love that little knolsie also agree the sx 60 is a top lure one of my favs too
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 8:04am
Thanks Tom. 
It's a great lure to use, casts a very long way, and not to hard on your wrist. The one I have would be good on Barra and Jacks, or even Tailor. I could imagine taking one to the Daintree with the Captain, might want to take a couple. 
Mearzie, for sure John Knols got the Native's fat bum spot on. It casts dead straight, the wind has no effect on it and an above average distance. It's one of the very small lures that beginners can use well on a overhead outfit and get results.
Tagged and released
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:03pm
Thanks Tom, your lure turned up today. Fantastic looking lure. Looks as good as the imported stuff at that size.
I'll drop your card into my local tackle shop and put in a good word on your range. 
Tagged and released
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:01pm
If I had to take 1 bass lure it would be a 55mm Stumpjumper.... in yellow and black
crazy4lures View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy4lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:05am
The best bass lure is a Fred Arbogast Jitterbug by far....
WANTED: McFeeters. Vipers. Deceptions & Whitmores.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 2:52pm
WHATS YOUR FAV BASS LURE???????????????????? Icant go past the VIPER V BASS & black jitter bugBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 5:45pm
jitterbugs rock ,surface strikes are THE best,circle V's  ''thin shad'' in gold is my latest favorite diving lure
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 6:34pm
i would have to say mals bass master lures, green gold , black and white had the privilege of fishing with mal on more than a few occasions chasing big bass in wivenhoe dam they were great for trolling and casting also caught some large other species as well on them, pearcey
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 8:06pm
my biggest bass was caught seventeen years ago it measured 52cm and was caught on a jaysea patriot black and green,pearcey
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
i also did a lot of bass fishing with my long time friend brett thomson we use to keep a log on bass over 45 cm under that they were small ones, it use to read 3, 47cm , 2, 48cm , 1, 50cm and small ones a couple of days ago brett sent me a photo of his son deano that caught a bass 56cm to the fork on a surface lure love those bass, pearcey
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:56pm
oh , i also forgot that one time me and brett caught five bass  that measured 50 cm on the one day , pearcey
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:22am
my favourite surface lure for bass would have to be the tiny torpedo, had that cicada fizzy noise to it, pearcey
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:05am
Heres a hot tip

ANY NUTTERJUCK BASS BAITSLOLLOLLOLLOL

Ok for the real stuff,

Black Jitterbugs are a all time fav but they have gone cheap and are know to blow apart, hence the reason Ive started making lures again. 

Bassman 1/16th (I think) twin blade spinnerbaits in black and purple. Must use a stinger hook.

Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:29am
My best was just on 50cm, at Glenbawn on a Lucky Craft LV500 cast & retrieved next to a BIG standing tree Big smile. but as a consistent performer, I have caught huge numbers of bass on the troll with a Manns 15+ in Green Tiger. Whenever it got a bit tough on the dams, out came the greeen machine  Clap

In the criks, the Rebel shallow craw isn't bad, but unfortunately I have had no luck catching bass of the surface around here. Now Cania is up again, I might get there one day and give it a go, seems to be the Qld home of surface bass.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:38am
Thanks Chris for the post on the Thin Shad. Don't tell anyone how much I paid you to post it. LOLLOLLOLLOL
Verlon 
Baitman
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:48am
My favorite top water lure is the "Top Shad" popper, silver/black with white artic fox tail hair on rear hook.
Also love crank baits.
Verlon
Baitman
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:14pm
spoke to thomo this morning he was driving the super tank past cooma his son dean had just caught another hooter of a bass 58cm to the fork not sure what lure but will find out, i also have a question, if a bass escapes from a dam to the creek or river is it a wild fish now Big smilepearcey
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:33pm
Dave, if the fish is in water that is NOT IMPOUNDED then its a wild one by nature

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:12pm
well theres some very big wild bass in the river systems now brad, ive had anglers say to me that a wild bass would pull a dam bass backwards, trouble is that there may be a very good chance that wild bass was not as wild as we may think, pearcey
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:21pm
Dave, yep the Brissie and North Pine are going rampant at the moment, Guys are catching 55-58cm bass in the upper Brissie river at the moment with regularity.
And dam or river bred any bass that size pulls hard Thumbs Up
Brad 

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:27pm
I caught 4 nice Cania Bass this afternoon on one of Pete's Twitchy Bullets

Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Pearcey Pearcey wrote:

well theres some very big wild bass in the river systems now brad, ive had anglers say to me that a wild bass would pull a dam bass backwards, trouble is that there may be a very good chance that wild bass was not as wild as we may think, pearcey
i think once one of those big
dam bass gets washed over the wall and into the river he gets hungry because theres a lot less food for him this means he's going to fight hard for any of his tucker including luresLOL.bass are bass the ones
in the dams are fat and sometimes lazy but i recon if you put a river bass in a dam he'd go the same wayWinkLOL
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Pilly Pilly wrote:

I caught 4 nice Cania Bass this afternoon on one of Pete's Twitchy Bullets

Cheers
Adrian
damn fine lures them bulletsThumbs Up
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:14am
FAV BASS lures whats yours today??????????????Tongueregards bob
Montah Steel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
Hobbled Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montah Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 12:41pm
bring up an old subject out of the depths lol.

my favourite and have no need of any other, is my own new creation, ""The Mini Bass Basher"".

55 bass caught since the 11/11.

Luc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 9:02pm
Definitely Heddon's tiny torpedo.

Also do well on these (thong poppers)

L4
Montah Steel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
Hobbled Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montah Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 5:26pm
i think the colour of the lure doesnt matter with bass. just tried a very ugly blue and pink version of my bass basher this morning. same results as with the green/naked  and green/pearlscale versions. also looking through this thread, every colour under the sun seems to work.

floating or sinking both seem to work also.

im thinking successful bass fishing depends on the size of the lure and the action. a light bodied lure between 3- 6 centimetres seems perfect. 
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 6:06pm
Too many good bass lures to list, the most expensive that I'll pay for is a Cotton Cordell Big O in any colour but the crawdad or flouro. I will not pay big money for lures when there are so many great lures at a much cheaper price.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Luc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 6:56pm
I'm with you Martin, no need to pay mega bucks for bass lure.

I'll not pay any more than $15 for a lure and most of mine are sub $10.

A year or so ago, I walked into by local Big W store just as they put out a new display box of Berkley lure.
Walked out with 30 for just over $100 (flicker shads and poppers).  Star

Have been using them straight out of the box with no problems.

I did upgrade on a few before a trip to Lenthall Dam in case of barras mixed in with bass. Big smile
L4
morro31 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morro31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 4:39pm
Hi guys , my lure is a cotton cordell big o , as sorry to say have never found a Australian lure that out fishs this lure, but in saying that would be more then happy to give a aussie lure a good run .
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:17pm
Bass lures,,,,many would work....I would Pm 3 makers that I know,,,,,Nicho,,,,Puglee62,,,Nutterjuck.... look at face book,,,Nutts owns that crap,,,thats my two cents worth Craig,,Gary CFSA
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:33pm
Funny that my lures have been catching Bass up to 56cm since 1983,many in the 50+ cms ,maybe I should go face book and own some crap to,Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:43pm
I don't think Gary was having a shot at you Lofty,Esoteric lures are legendary even without facebookClapApprove
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic