LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass on surface,which colour ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass on surface,which colour ????
    Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 6:34pm
Gday all

There seems to be a lot of accumulated lure knowledge here abouts so I was hoping to get everyones opinion on the best/favourite surface lure colour for Bass.
Personally I like matt black with a little orange under the chin or a translucent dark green (sort of like Ghost green in the Atomic hardz),buteveryone likes different colours so any advice will help me decide which colours to have made for a line of surface lures that will be ready for the warmer months.
I you want to add pics of the colour that would be gr8.

thanks in advance
Scott
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 6:40pm
hi scott ,you can use any colour you want so long as it is black.the black surface lure will out fish any other colour 10 fold.steven
scottocs View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 6:52pm
thanks
yeh I'm definitely getting matt black made but i want one more colour and cant make up my mind.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 6:54pm
During sunlight, I prefer a flashy gold chrome, just cast it to the snag, wiggle it so the chrome flashes, take up any slack, wiggle it again, take up the slack- u can lure a bass way out of cover doing this.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 7:03pm
Two colours, 
Black for the dark nights. 
White for when the full moon is out or just fishing out in the open when the moon is lighting up the water.

But the goto is always Black
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 7:29pm
the best by far is the frog colour for me get the odd one on black
where's the pic's peoplesLOL

saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:15pm
My 2 colours is of course the trusted black, and a yellow/black cicada
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:34pm
Any natural looking colour black cicada is very good, frog pattern with a white belly
black with a full red underbelly,dark brown , bee pattern and of course white with a hint of yellow
surface water fishing is my passion and is what I based my lure making business on and I agree totally
with Nutter silhouette black and white lures are definetly the go to for me as well...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:38pm
Black, Black, Black.Thumbs Up
Manny
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:45pm
i think colors for surface lures is not that important as the fish probably see them in silhoette most of the time anyway although i think the chrome gold that Martin mentioned would have to be one to consider,i wonder how a luminous bellied lure would go on a moonless night?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 9:03pm
blaCK....IF YOU dont have black use black, failing that black is a good color.
as for red splashes etc, we like it! but i doubt if a bass selects due to color, if the lure is in the right spot, its often hit less than a second from hitting the water.....regardless of color.....but i still like black...surface or diving......its the dark sillouhette.
(but most lures i make still have red under the chin..Confused..we are very conditionedSmile)
Thats just my opinion
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 9:18pm
Love black but also the green/yellow colours but I like all of em to have red belly or throat Thumbs Up sorry don't have any pics available Embarrassed
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
bushwacker View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Running Creek Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushwacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:45pm
The action is just as important if not more than the colour. tiny torpeedo's it doesnt matter a dam what colour and jitterbugs its black all the way
scottocs View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:52pm
Nice pics Bluey
Thanks for all the replies guys,much appreciated.

With all the replies I have had on this forum as well as others I have decided on the 4 lure colours i'm having the lures made in.
They are going to be 60mm narrow but not skinny popper,that will not only bloop but spit water in front of it,also can be walked well.
the first colour I picked is mainly for Whiting but the Bream will like it as well,"clear body,a little roe orange colour under the chin and a little yellow dusting on the top 2/3 of the way down the towards the back and black eyes .
the second colour is mainly targeting Bream but Whiting,Bass,Jacks etc  etc will take this colour,"A nice clear Amber/Gold colour with thin Black craw style lines,with a very light orange dusting under the chin and black eyes",yeh I know every lure company in the world does one of these but its because it works ;).
the third is no surprise and that colour is "matt black with deep red eyes"
the last will be a "clear darkish green body with small black blotches down sides and black eyes",sort of like ghost green in the atomic hardz colour but a little darker.
I will probably add a few more colours further down the track but i will start with these.
any way I will start sorting it out with the manufacturuer soon so they are ready for when the weather starts to warm up.

cheers and thanks for the help
Scott
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:52pm
Black is always my first choice but on the new bug shaped flappers have a grey / white mouse like colour that looks great. A colour that works well also for me is a plain dark red, not popular with fishermen but the fish like them.
David
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:52am
Originally posted by River Rover River Rover wrote:

The new bug shaped flappers have a grey / white mouse like colour that looks great. 

Whens the unvaieling Dave Smile

Mick!!!
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:47am
Scott, for Bass, I like the following, no particular order
Black
Deep Purple
Dark Red
Dark Grey
Dark Green
but I also have a few in brighter colours for particular Rivers/dams, for instance a mid green when the cicadas are thick on the Brissie and Noosa Rivers on Summer afternoons...
and brighter Red, Green, Blue on Borumba Dam to match the colourful Dragonflies that abound up there, the bass do hit them regularly and the Saratoga just slurp down the wayward drifter.

For Whiting and Bream, you are on the right track with your choices, but also consider a Gold and Silver colouration as well as a light Olive green over white.
These were outstanding sellers in the Yamamoto Mini Splash popper that many regard as the best Bream popper seen for many years, so much so that after they became unavailable in the shops, they regularly sold on ebay for up to $50....quite scary considering the RRP was $12.95!!!

Brad

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:10am
tiny torpedo for me as bushwaker said colour not an issue although black is good , great surface lure, pearcey
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 1:01pm
those tiny torpedo's are dynamite,i had one that continued to catch fish long after all the paint(g finish i think) wore off
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 1:13pm
WinkJust saw this post and am grinning like a chesire cat.......My answer is quite simply depending on what time of the year/season it is, As Mr walker knows white when it is cabbage moth time,cicadas either green/black,mouse plagues greys and browns or maybe its just none of these and maybe its just commotion,pause.................commotion..............pause..............................comm(Boom)otionClapClapClap.......regards B.J.
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 1:58pm
yes chris the tiny  torpedos work great mate, had some given to me by steve from ambush lures many years ago they worked just as well as the heddons and actually i prefered them , pearcey
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:56pm
never caught a top water bass on a popper or a fizzer - all on crawlers and walkers. But the Diawa fat boy in gold chrome has accounted for the most.
Martin-

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
like the colour chart but a lad that gives me a touch up on bass uses a red head white popper

regards George
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:58pm
mate the Bass in your river also jump for the Quantas jets flying pastWink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:06pm
AND they bring them down too.....
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

AND they bring them down too.....
''Ladies and gentlemen ,this is your captain speaking.I'd like to apologise for the sudden jolt that you felt from the portside wing ,but no need to be alarmed as often when we fly over this particular anabranch of the Mary river very large rocket propelled Bass will sometimes launch themselves 10,000ft and bite chunks from the wings''...........LOL
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:32pm
Mick
Flapper bugs very close and will have surface, shallow runner and deeper version. Have been testing in the RAVA test facility under heavy security but first hatching painted and cleared in shed.
David
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:33pm
FishingLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL you need to come fishing Chris see if you can bring down a jet
we did get a triple had a fair few doubles

regards George

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:11pm
Well done George
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:51pm
nice chunky Bass mateThumbs Up
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:45pm
I've had a lot of success with a Purple/gold walk the dog lure but when the going gets tough my go to lure is a Teimco Black Cicada..

Cheers

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 8:50am
BLUEWinkregards bob
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
Black, purple, and froggy would be my 3 go to colours.  I like black that it a bit broken up, either a bloody throat/gills, or like Tooches 'bee' pattern crawlers.
Although I've got bass on all manner of crazy colours.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 8:39pm
geez they are nice bass mate!
Black for me, then black and silver, I also like black.
If I cant find any of the above, Ill sttle for black.
scottocs View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 8:06pm
Gday all
It has been a while but the first of the poppers are ready,these are mainly for Whiting and Bream but i recon the BB Ting will catch Bass.
There is also a mat black and clear dark olive green in development.

They are 60mm 7g

Ting

BB Ting

what do you recon ?????

Cheers
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic