LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Wm. Southam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bellbrooks Barra Lure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bellbrooks Barra Lure
    Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 1:16pm
There has been a little interest in Bellbrook lures recently and i wondered if anybody has a  super - tough model made for Barra fishing as shown below . I think this photo was taken early 90's not sure when the lure was introduced.
Also four styles same article unfortunately only black and white photo
Located Australian Fishing lures mag not dated.

Regards John.

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 9:50am
John, I have four of these, the two greeny/blue ones were called 'Pretty Boys'.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 3:06pm
Wink G'day Tony you are full of surprises aren't you????? I personally have one a black albert sinker! I used to have a red ned but I give it away to another writer for an article and have never seen it again! How naive was I?????. B.J.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:05pm
Tony and B J
Well done.

Thought I had located a lure that nobody would have, or even seen . How wrong can you be.

Would the hard wear manage a large barra as the ad implies.

regards John
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 1:43pm
WinkJohn I've heard some of the blokes from those times used 80lb handlines to catch there barra with those lures! I've had some interesting conversations with captain barry on this exact issue!!!! What colour did you end up with mate and model????? regards B.J.Wink
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 2:00pm
Guys, found my four in different places over the years. The last white one in a junk shop in Macksville NSW about 5yrs. ago. The 'Pretty Boys' I've been told were put out by Peter Southam later than the originals.
Interestingly, when I asked Frank Prokop about them, he'd never come across them. Think Barry has a few, after scanning his pics, think I saw some, not surprisingly.LOL
Regards, Tony.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 2:06pm
WinkYeah the captains on the ball isn't he??????? He certainly has a very enviable collection there ay????? Those pretty boys sure are nice tony but I'm really interested in the white lure could you please show a frontal shot of it please plus a side one????? B.J.
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 3:11pm
I thought all the Bellbrook Barra Kings were put out by Peter Southam in the 70s after

he took over the family business.

Cheers,Jim
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 10:13am
Jim, thanks for that, he called them Barra Kings aye, I didn't know that they had their own name.
Thinking back, I'm sure it was you who told me it was Peter Southam and about the 'Pretty Boy' name for the green ones. Wish I could remember where I found them, I know the 'Black Albert' I found in FNQ late 80's in a junk shop. The only other ones I've seen, except for John's pic, are in Cranky's collection.
Be interested to know how many were made in the 70's?
Regards, Tony.
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 3:02pm
Tony,

I only found out they were Barra Kings by looking closely at the blue cards in Cranky's

post of his Bellbrook collection.

Cheers,Jim
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 7:51pm
I possibly have 30 or so heavy duty models John.I used to sell them to ringers and old guys that used 80-100lbs handline.They stood up to the punishment quite well.The hooks were mainly Mustad 9430A in no.2 and no.1 sizes.
There are quite a few in this mess John
The Journey is the Reward

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 8:28pm
Geez Confused, no wonder the barra models are hard to find, Barry has them all LOL
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 9:14pm
Barry

Looks like you might just have a model or two.

The most I have seen in one spot,including the barra lure black white that they spoke about in the article
Thanks for posting
Regards John
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 7:35am
The Black and White or Black Albert as it was called was by far the most popular back in the day.
The Journey is the Reward

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 4:55pm
Found five Bellbrook with appropriate names for their  lures . Had to find details
 Very few ads in fishing mags
1971   Complete Book of Australian fishing

I presume you have these 5 models Barry.

regards John

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 6:46pm

Here's my Bellbrook Display John,
clockwise from top left
Bellbrook Brat...fish shaped metal spoon with red glass eye
Copy of original paperwork that came with the lures
3" Floater in Black Albert
#1 Swayback in Goldie
#2 Swayback in Green Light
Midget in Yellow Scale
2 1/2" Sinker in Pretty Boy
2 1/2" Deep Diver in White scale
Since starting it I found out about the Barra version and the scarcer than hens teeth Deep Diving version of the 3" size, which were made by Peter Southam, I have seen 6 different colours of that one in one tackle box Shocked
There is also a couple of other metal spoons that Bill Southam did I am trying to identify and track down as well.
Brad

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 6:49pm
oooh and just to keep in mind, the author of the article called the Flopy as made by Vivif.....of course we know Rublex/Mitchell made them, the Vivif was an early soft plastic fish which I have posted elsewhere here I am sure Ermm

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:23pm
 Brad
Love the black and white  lure.

I was not aware of the wobblers put out by the company, perhaps I have seen them or even owned one or two of them but were unware who made them.

What is the name of your wobbler in the box a little hard to read where the staple is placed.
Do The Bellbrook in your display box cover the 5 I posted in the photo.
Thanks for posting

regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:41pm
John,
"Bellbrook Brat...fish shaped metal spoon with red glass eye"

as for the others.....

Brad

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:49am
Thanks Brad
There must a been a few diferent designs around  then, cannot say I am familiar with your narrow bum, the ones I seem to remember or have seen on site appeared to be more rounded and perhaps less work put into them

Nice to have it on the card as well

regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:53am
Sorry Brad missed the overlay perfectly covered the 5 lures well done. They would have to to be 40 to 50 years old I suppose.

Some tricky computer work there

Regards John
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:10am
Brad, looks like you're close in getting the Bellbrook set. One Barra King and one 3" deep diver to go, I maybe able to help with the Barra, PM me and we'll talk swaps.Big smile
John, thanks for your work in tracking those obscure articles, I know it's off subject, but could you do a hunt for a BarraKing (Mossman, FNQ) Henry Hall, brochure. I'm going to get an ad scanned from a Barramundi Yearbook c1986, but a more comprehensive one would be great.
Regards, Tony.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:30am
Will do Tony.
  Maybe Barry knows Henry Hall and may give us a few clues where to look .

A lot of the early lure makers did not advertise very much, unfortunately, cost being the problem when they were starting out.

Will check my early MO and Harbord tackle mags

Regards John

doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:13pm
Winkyep got all them as soon as i learn to post piccies i'll show ya's! B.J.Wink
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:51am
John, I don't think MO and Harbord would be much help, we're talking early 80's here. The small ad I took a picture of in my BarraKing brochure post is all I've ever seen.
Maybe Barry knowing Henry, maybe the best chance, also I'm yet to speak with George Voukolos, he's flat-out at the moment, this being the high season, plus the Barra Classic starting tomorrow. I'll hang-off until he's less busy and have a chat. Whatever you can find would be a real bonus.
Regards, Tony.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:42am
Tony have had a look and drew a blank

Some of the earlier fishing mags maybe a better bet.

I not sure how big a lure manufacturer Henry Hall got to ,to warrant the added expense for advertisements back then ( cottage industry or Not)  Maybe he only supplied NTH QLD.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:16pm
Bellbrook Lure ad   March 1966 sizes,  type, and prices. 

Four models and 11 colours

Company started 1936

Appears different towing clip.

Regards John

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 11:12am
Top effort John, more info. on these a real bonus, 1936! had no idea this early. Maybe Heddon copied his, rather than people saying he copied the River Runt shape? Be curious to get to the bottom of that conjecture.
My flyfishing mate thanks you, I could score a couple of Aussie timbers for that deerhair, if so I'll split with you.Wink
Regards, Tony.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 11:39am
Wink have to agree with tony  here john top effort on digging up that little piece of gold to add to the mystery puzzleLOL.....B.J.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 12:00pm
Tony

Not sure when the lures were actual placed on market but ad indicated company had been trading for 30 years. Commencing around 1936.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 2:59pm
Found another ad Southam Bellbrook  lures  Smith's Sport Store mail catalogue 1954-1955

Semi transparent  Plastic lure

What surprises me they were not a cheap lure.   13/3pence

Next page an imported French jointed lure  same design 9/- size 2  1/2 in   size 3    3in     10/6 Competing lures and prices at the time
Regards John

murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:33pm
Bill Southam was making rods by 1936 because Zane Gray praised them in his 1937 book "An American

Angler in Australia"about his visit to Bermagui,Batemans Bay,Sydney and Queensland.

The one piece lures didn't come out until 1949 or 1950 and definitely a copy of the Heddon.

The Swaybacks possibly came out in 1951 or a little later and were a copy of the Mirrolure (or whatever

the Mirrolure may have been a copy of) Bugger all patent protection between countries in those days.

After Bill died his son Peter eventually took over the company and he brought out the reinforced Barra King

model during the 70s,adding some new colours for that model.I have never yet found any P.Southam

advertising.

Cheers,Jim
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:50pm
Jim,
The L&S Bait Company (now known as MirrOlure) began making lures in 1937, the first being a wooden lure known as the LeMaster Shiner Minnow ( later became the Bass Master 15) which was produced until World War II. The wood lures were only made in one size, approximately 3" in length. This is the size copied for the #1 Swayback
Following the war, the company began making the well-known plastic versions of the lure. The eye style changed from a glass eye to a solid plastic eye which was used up until the 1970's. Additional models for the jointed lures became available in the early 1950's. These included a Pike Master(series #30 & #35)(3-3/4"). This was the size copied for the #2 Swayback.

Brad

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:00pm
John, if I remember my lb/$ conversions. 13/3 = 13 Shillings 3 Pence = $0.68 and when the decimal currency came in the price almost doubled in price between 1954 and 1966!!!!!! and only because the currency changed...bloody gubberment

Brad

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:20am
Thanks Jim and Brad

Interesting to note the difference in prices for the same styled lures at the time. You would think the French lure being  3/- to 4/- cheaper would win out and therefore some confusion in identyfing these types of lures in collections today.

regards John

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic