LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Wm. Southam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bellbrooks Barra Lure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:28am
Sorry Darbs,

One Pound became $2.00, 1/- (one shilling or 12pence) became 10cents, so 13/3 would

have become $1.32 or $1.33.

Didn't double in price just different terminology.

Cheers,Jim
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:46am

Thanks Jim

So back then the difference was quite substanial between the two lures maybe 4 beers or so. (40cents)

A bit early for me to be buying beer in 1954 not sure of the price then.

regards John
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:59am
I found an ad in a soft cover book called Threadline Fishing by Gordon Hume stating Bellbrook Wobblers "After six years STILL the most popular saltwater lure."  The book was published in 1938 so that makes it 1932 starting date.  Debbie D    Wow that's amazing that these lures are still in one piece.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:53am
Interesting thanks
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:37pm
Gordon Hume's "Threadline Fishing" was first published 1957 so maybe that is a 1958 copy you have,Deb.

The very first Bellbrook lures were 1949 or 1950 so the 6 years in the ad makes approximate sense.

Cheers,Jim
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:24pm
I have scanned that book back to front can't find any other date. Lucky there's someone out there who knows what they are talking about, Jim. I 'm balancing on the swivelseat trying to get my foot out of my mouth. So sorry.
I have a tray of bellbrooks. I was actually left, by an old friend, a box with different sized Bellbrooks, individual prices written under the box. Alas the resin gave way and I was left with lures in 3 pieces as they had been stored in a hot caravan.  Debbie D
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:46pm
They got the mix wrong at one stage and those crumbled even when stored in the dark.

Cheers,Jim
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 8:34am
Where do you research dateline on Bellbrooks. Google produced that WMSoutham  started in 1932 and went to stockmarket in 1938 with 1st directors William L Southam and George  H Montgomery.Ref  Trove
Digitised newspaper. Selling split cane rods and fishing tackle. Moved to 419 Pacific Hwy Artarmon NSW in 1948 was at 473 Pacific Hwy in 1932. Zane Grey caught a 1036lb shark using their rod in 1936. Company cancelled in 2002.
 The address in my Threadline Fishing book is the later address. I apologise for trying to mislead. Can anyone help with a site to research please.   Debbie D
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 9:19am
Debbie I put up some information on the company about when it started early 30's, not sure where it is now,. I think i got it out of a 50's catalogue at the time.
Regards John
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:09am
I have quite a few Bellbrooks in various sizes, including four of the tropical retrofits. As I'm trying to downsize my overall collection, if anyone is interested, happy to trade for the right Aussie timber barra lures. Especially Henry Hall BarraKings to expand a collection. Drop me a PM if interested.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:24pm
Deb, I got my knowledge from old tackle catalogues,old magazine ads and from phone conversations with Bill Southam's son Peter.

First off it is not W M Southam but Wm.Southam (Wm. is an old fashioned
abbreviation of William often nicknamed Bill similar to Jim really being
James and Jack really being John)

A 1949 Southam ad in Outdoors announced Bellrock lures soon to be introduced (looks like the Outdoors people couldn't read Bill's handwriting???)

A Sept 1951 ad in Anglers Digest announced the addition of the Deep Diver and the Midget to the Bellbrook series.

Can't find the first Swayback ads at the moment but have the info somewhere.I seem to remember the two sizes came out at different times.

Cheers,Jim
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 6:37pm
Thanks for the info, Jim.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 7:58am
Interesting info Jim
Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:49am
This one was given to me a month or so ago.
Is this a bellbrook Barra. doesn't have the red eyes like the others. maybe a copy.

Kev.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 1:22pm
Kev, what you have is the retrofitted tropical model Black Albert. Looks very new especially the hooks, could be from a later 70's production run by Peter Southam, son of Bill.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 7:26pm
Thanks for the info mate. Bloke said he had the box somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.

Kev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic