LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Luremakers Biographies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bennett and McGrath Lure story at 1988

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bennett and McGrath Lure story at 1988
    Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 8:59am
Found this one yesterday maybe of interest to Lure collectors of these lures F F 1988

regards John

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 2:39pm
Thanks John, as always a great read--these are the guys who had the best 'Lure TOP Coating' around here back in the early eighties --I was always threatening to drive down there one night and go through their hopper to find out what it was LOL.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 3:10pm
Thanks John...a good read!
cheers steiny
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 9:10pm
B&M's continue to perplex me - they opened new grounds re construction techniques and have always been awesome fishability wise ..... but why are they not collectible ?

Can't sell one of the original's on eBay for a single $ more than they originally cost all those years ago .... I don't understand Confused

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 1:27am
Yeah I know what ya mean Rob, I remember putting up 2 original Carp pattern ones, one shallow and one regular. Both were early production with the plate glued in after painting. They went for around $35 for the pair, now wish I had not Cry. I wonder if it is because it changed hands a few times?
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 8:25pm
John Bennett's "history" seems to overlap with the production/partnerships in lure making.
All too confusing. would be nice to have some input from him.
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Bigriver Bigriver wrote:

Yeah I know what ya mean Rob, I remember putting up 2 original Carp pattern ones, one shallow and one regular. Both were early production with the plate glued in after painting. They went for around $35 for the pair, now wish I had not Cry. I wonder if it is because it changed hands a few times?

Think I bought those ones Paul... Got anymore lol
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:51pm
Some of the most productive freshwater lures I've ever used. I have a heap of the originals squirrelled away because they mean so much to me. I too cannot fathom why they don't command higher prices.< ="" id="triggerLogout">< ="" id="signupTrigger">

Maybe there is a lack of understanding over their origins/history? Puzzled!Confused
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by ropes.basstard ropes.basstard wrote:

Some of the most productive freshwater lures I've ever used. I have a heap of the originals squirrelled away because they mean so much to me. I too cannot fathom why they don't command higher prices.

Maybe there is a lack of understanding over their origins/history? Puzzled!Confused

Ropes
It could be that many (myself included) dont know how to tell old from new.
Laurie.
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Oldman Oldman wrote:

Originally posted by ropes.basstard ropes.basstard wrote:

Some of the most productive freshwater lures I've ever used. I have a heap of the originals squirrelled away because they mean so much to me. I too cannot fathom why they don't command higher prices.

Ropes
It could be that many (myself included) dont know how to tell old from new.
Laurie.

I know mine are older because they have the brass skeleton.
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 10:02pm
I am going to have to have a look at them one day Jas.

Are these the first commercial lures that John Bennett was involved in?
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 6:57pm
No worries Laurie I will have to drag them out.

I think they were the first of Bennett Mcgraths and from
Memory was told there were about 5,000 of the brass framed ones made. But not sure how accurate that is because I don't know much about them.

Cheers lefty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic