LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Bass Baits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Bass Baits
    Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 6:53pm
I've been using larger sized lures than usual for bass this summer, with lures in the 80 - 120mm range and have pulled some good fish up to 50cm. Here are the latest couple to come off the drying rack.

Swimbait is 125mm and suspends in freshwater, and the wakebait is 100mm. Hopefully give them a work over this weekend.

34 South
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 7:21pm
I like that swimbait, I reckon it would work on a lot of species.Thumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 7:27pm
Great work Thumbs Up
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:43pm
They are awesome looking jointed lure. Top effort.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 8:30pm
Just remembered  that Noel Hicks from Grafton made bass lures at a size usually considered as cod lures.

His line of thinking was that a big bass usually preferred to eat one big meal as opposed to expending hunting down numerous smaller items for a feed. I never met or knew him but friends on the Gold Coast knew him and stated that he caught many bass in excess of the old fashioned 6 pound mark (about 2.7 kilos).
Martin-

Baroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 5:08am
I recall a conversation with a bloke from Tenterfield.He stated that the size off the Mullet in the water is a guide to the size of the lures that may be used.Peter Newell was that bloke.
Regards,

Marc - STDZ Lures - Catch fish,fish a STDZ instead.
TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 5:50pm
I find large surface lures inparticular seem to be able to draw the attention of large fish from the snags. My theory is that it is worth their effort to come out for a feed. Just got to look at the mouth on a wild 50cm fish, you can near fit your fist in there. You'd be surprised that even small bass will hit big lures
34 South
TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:51pm
Here is the latest big bass surface lure to come off the bench. It is 115mm overall length and makes an awesome knocking sound when swimming. I caught 9 bass on it and the top wakebait on Saturday night up to 45cm. Need to upsize to no. 6 hooks on it as I missed a number of massive hits.

Last is a 100mm WTD from balsa. I love the action balsa gives a surface lure, really crisp walking action.

Thanks for looking
34 South
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:32pm
Looks good and they obviously work- well done
Martin-

al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 5:46am
they will definatly work and on barra as well  ,my new 100mm gar i made a few months back hooked barra and 4 bass on the same day ,funny thing was the bass were all foul hooked on side plate ,maybe a get out of my area strike.love your surface lure too. 
it a lot better world if you just smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic