LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Metals - Jigs, Spoons, Slices and Vibes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade for under $1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade for under $1
    Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:20pm
With the high attrition rate of blades in gnarly bass waters, here is a recipe for making a blade for under $1 that anyone with a few simple tools can make at home. 

1. Cut and file desired shape from sheet metal. The blades in the photo are based off a 52mm Jackall Sasuke Blade Jr 8gr, using 1mm galvanised sheet from a down pipe bracket.
2. Drill holes for tow point and hook hangers using a 1/16 or 5/64 drill bit.
3. Pinch a size 3 split shot onto the body either side of the belly hook hanger hole. ***For added security you can use an epoxy on the split shots when pinching them onto the blade body. 
4. Use a hammer to flatten the split shot on either side of the blade (this is not necessary, however the Sasuke Jr 8gr has flat side weights, so I copied it for these blades).
5. Paint as desired or use as is. Note: When painting I give the blade a light sanding and cover with two coats of primer before painting.
6. Attach hooks and tow clip. Either use split rings with trebles or single hooks, or attach double hooks straight through the hook hanger hole.

Using #3 split shots gives an 8 gram blade, if you want a heavier or lighter blade, just adjust the split shot size.

Note: I only attach the tow clip when I am going use a blade.

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:26pm
good job Tim, they look the goods and for that price you couldn't go wrong mate
cheers Steve r.
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:13pm
These look awesome. Well done mate very impressed.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 2:12am
I know what you mean about losing blades. I seem to be very good at it. Great idea. Well done.
Cheers Brad
whipit
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:07am
WELL done blades are very popular in lake macquarie for bream &flattysClapClapClapBig smileregards bob
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:14am
top job - they look great !! WinkWink
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:11pm
ClapA top post - cheers for thatThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic