LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bunnings Garden Stakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excalibre1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bunnings Garden Stakes
    Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:03am
Hi Everyone
Can some one tell me if the garden stakes at Bunnings are still Indonesian Mahogany and suitable for making lures ?
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:59am
Not sure what timber they are but I've heard of plenty that make lures out of them......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Excalibre1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excalibre1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:43am
Yep thanks Blinky 
I have purchased a long time ago but cant remember if it was a particular brand or they were all the same material. There is about 5 different brands of garden stakes at Bunnings that I can see.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:32pm
ive used them too Mike and they worked well, from memory it said on the pack that they were mahogany.If you cant find them at Bunnings give the cheapy shops a try ive seen them there too in the past
that's no how ye make porridge!
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:30pm
If you can get hold of them, the old style coat hangers made from White Beech are good as well.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:10pm
Hi Mike, I`ve used a few packs of these in the past 19x19x1200 & found them to be pretty good. The brand from Bunnings "Gardman" was best. Good Luck. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:12pm
I've used them also and found the quality has deteriorated lately and you have to search through the bundles to get some good lengths! The timber seems to different types and a lot are full of borers! The last lot I got were 24x24x900 and seemed OK.
Fysshe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic