Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > C Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"C" Lures - The Makers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "C" Lures - The Makers
    Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 4:36pm
"C" Lures has had a few different makers over the years, and there seems to be a bit of confusion and mis-information around as to who made what and when.

Hopefully we can get some facts in this thread to clarify who the makers are, what period they made the lures, and how to identify the lures of each maker.

Here's the information I currently have regarding the makers, hopefully between us we can fill the blanks and correct any errors if required.

#1        Carl & Judy Grist  
To:       1992

#2        Selwyn Wendt
To:        1994

#3        Bruce & Sharon Rampton (The Teacher)   
To:        1998

#4        Dominic & Cassandra Fry  
To:        2006

#5        Tacspo   (Current owner of brand)
To:        Still in production

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 6:55pm
Re "C" Lures---- Selwyn Wendt bought from Carl and Judy Grist in 1992 then he sold to Bruce and Sharon Rampton who kept it from 1994-1998.It was then sold to Domanic and Cassandra Fry in 1998.I still have to find out when Tacspo bought it.Hope this helps.
Regards Barry
The Journey is the Reward

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 6:58pm
Thanks Barry, I thought you might be able to help out there!  Clap

I've updated the post above to reflect your updated information

Edited by Tony - 14 Nov 2009 at 7:04pm
Cheers, Tony

Stephen Booth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Booth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 3:08pm
Just spoke to Dom (fresh from catching a 1.1m, 1.2m and netted a 1.3m barra at MonduranAngry!) and he said he sold to Tacspo 3 years ago - 2006. He's got paperwork for the exact date if you want a definitive day of complete sale!
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 4:56pm
Gday Stephen,

Great info and straight from the source!  Thanks for that Thumbs Up

It's always great to add another piece to the puzzle Clap

Now all we need to find is when Carl started!

Sounds like Dom's doing well, geez I need to get back to Monduran!

Cheers, Tony

TTragic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTragic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:39pm
Im not sure even Carl would remember when he started....

he did know how to have a good time 
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by TTragic TTragic wrote:

Im not sure even Carl would remember when he started....

he did know how to have a good time 

Gday Andrew,

Funnily enough it looks like we may have an answer! I'm working my way through articles from some fantastic old magazines from the 80's that Jim kindly lent to me, and there's a great interview with Carl Grist in Fishing World feb 1987 where Carl is asked just that question! OhYeah

Here's an excerpt from the article, I'll put the full scan up shortly.

My interpretation is that Carl started making C Lures in approx. 1983 (i.e. 1987 minus "about four years") Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

Lexy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 8:16pm
My dad created C Lures. He is Carl Grist. Great to hear they are still highly regarded. He put a lot of hard work into them!
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 8:29pm
Nice to hear from you Lexy.Hope you like the site.Your Dad and I were friends in the early days and as you probably know have only just caught up to each other again.
All the best Barry

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 9:05pm
Welcome to LureLovers Lexy  Smile

Your Dad's lures are definately still highly regarded Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

Lexy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:55pm
Hi Barry/Tony. Dad said that 83 must be about right... :) happy fishing! :)
Jemma Grist
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:26pm
Thanks Jemma Smile
Cheers, Tony

Lexy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 2:35pm
Update! .... speaking to dad this morning. He said he actually first started making C Lures in mid 82. final piece of your puzzle. :)

Jemma
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Lexy Lexy wrote:

Update! .... speaking to dad this morning. He said he actually first started making C Lures in mid 82. final piece of your puzzle. :)

Jemma

You're a legend Jemma, thank you very much for your assistance Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:22pm
Did Carl ever use the stickers, or only the hand writing?
Thanks
Laurie.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:24pm
G'day Laurie,

Carl mentioned that he did use stickers - I don't know the dates though.

Cheers, Tony

Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:27pm
QuestionQuestionQuestionQuestionQuestion
Is there any way of telling his from the "later" builders?
Laurie.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:36pm
I think there probably will be Laurie

With Carl and Barry's help we should hopefully know in the not too distant future - Although it will have to wait until Carl gets back to civilisation as the lucky bloke has now gone bush again for a while!
Cheers, Tony

Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:40pm
Tony
Thanks for that.
Laurie.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 10:34am
 I have located an ad from April 1990 for C lures with 20 coloured Baby Tigers numbered 21 to 40.
These were made by Carl Grist hand crafted lures.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 11:21am
Thanks Jim for posting.This looks like the Harboard Tackle Cat.
I think I have all of those in the pics except no. 24 which I am still looking for.
Mine are all numbered under the bib.

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 3:45pm
Ahh the Harbord Tackle Supply catalouge, wasn't that a good read. I remember wanting one of everything out of that book back when I was a teenager.EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
Toga Fever
wharf rat View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wharf rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:38pm
Firstly a big hello to Jemma ( lexy ) . I havent seen you since you were a little tacker. I knew you and your family well . I am an original cooktown wharf rat . your mum may even still have a picture of you and I when I jumped off the wharf to save your much loved teddy after you accidently dropped him in the water. Secondly , to anyone interested , I worked for sel wendt as a teenager , making C-lures and although time ( and beer ) has takin it's toll on my memory, I can still remember a few things that may be of interest. I remember 5 distinct c- lures... the mealy bug , baby tiger , tiger , 4 inch big eye , and the 6 inch big eye. the airbrushing was performed by ricky golding ( carls nephew I think ). the blanks were carved out on a duplicater carl built himself . other homemade tools included a horizontal drill and eyelet twister ,to name a few . I am glad to have had an input into these lures in their earlier days , and as jemma said before , it is awesome to see they are still highly regarded in the fishing world . regards ..Dave
dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

"C" Lures has had a few different makers over the years, and there seems to be a bit of confusion and mis-information around as to who made what and when.

Hopefully we can get some facts in this thread to clarify who the makers are, what period they made the lures, and how to identify the lures of each maker.

Here's the information I currently have regarding the makers, hopefully between us we can fill the blanks and correct any errors if required.

#1        Carl & Judy Grist  
To:       1992

#2        Selwyn Wendt
To:        1994

#3        Bruce & Sharon Rampton (The Teacher)   
To:        1998

#4        Dominic & Cassandra Fry  
To:        2006

#5        Tacspo   (Current owner of brand)
To:        Still in production

Are tacspo still making these or did they stop making them when they stopped making deceptions? Did they make any other lures?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:03pm
??
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:29pm
Tacspo rep told me recently that there was talk of employing a luremaker to start remaking Deception

lures. Next time he calls I'll find out if it is happening and if it may include C-Lures as well.
RDH View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:18pm
I can now confirm that C lures  has once again  been sold and  moved to near Toowoomba.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 6:22pm
Can I ask whether it was deception and C lures. Has the lure set up been bought from Tascpo or doing it for Tascpo. Is Mr Ringtail taking it on.

RDH View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:15am
Hi Handbrake, I can confirm  Deception as well both have been brought  from Tascpo and no it's not Mr Ringtail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic