LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > What the blazes is this fishing Lure?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carl Biebendorf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carl Biebendorf
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
Recently I posted an 'unknown' lure on AAAussie Unknowns FB page.
Someone suggested it was by a Carl Biebendorf (maybe spelling wrong).
After doing a search here, a couple of references to him making lures in and around Ingham or Lucinda in the 90's. Eddie Riddle posted that he knew Carl and even sold some of his lures from Lounds Tackle, Townsville.
Does anyone have any other info? This is the lure I posted, found in Darwin appears fairly new, but doesn't have the glass eyes like the lure Carl Grist shows in 2013, therefore not convinced it's by him.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:47pm
Tony, I'm pretty sure that's not one by Karl Bebendorf. I had one of his a few years ago and regrettably sold before I knew the history. Most of the ones I've seen are 5' chunky Scorpion style lures probably inspired by the Newells that Vic McCristal used. Karl fished with Vic when he was younger and appeared in one of early articles in Aus Outdoors 1970 I think. Karls father Max was a founding member of out local ANSA club and Karl was a member for quite a few years. I only met him once in 2011 when he came to our 40 year anniversary and, although he only lived a few house down from me, I never crossed paths with him. Unfortunately, he passed away a couple of years ago.

Fysshe
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:47pm

Not sure I have the spelling correct but I got this one from Ian, possibly the one he mentioned. I still have it Ian, if it is the one.
Cheers,

Gavin
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 8:04pm
Yep Gavin, that's the one! Got another one now (I think) that the paint job was completely shagged and will eventually become a hybrid. This is the first deep diver Scorpion I've seen of his. A couple more came up on Facebook last week but I can't find them now.

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
Fysshe
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Seaweed Seaweed wrote:

Recently I posted an 'unknown' lure on AAAussie Unknowns FB page.
Someone suggested it was by a Carl Biebendorf (maybe spelling wrong).
After doing a search here, a couple of references to him making lures in and around Ingham or Lucinda in the 90's. Eddie Riddle posted that he knew Carl and even sold some of his lures from Lounds Tackle, Townsville.
Does anyone have any other info? This is the lure I posted, found in Darwin appears fairly new, but doesn't have the glass eyes like the lure Carl Grist shows in 2013, therefore not convinced it's by him.
Seaweed.

Seaweed. Can you show me a pic of the Biebendorf with glass eyes please, have looked but cannot find. I can only recall the lures i have owned/seen had painted eyes.

Your lure has a Biebendorf look even though it is not a Scorpion profile.
Gristy
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Fysshe Salmon Fysshe Salmon wrote:

Tony, I'm pretty sure that's not one by Karl Bebendorf. I had one of his a few years ago and regrettably sold before I knew the history. Most of the ones I've seen are 5' chunky Scorpion style lures probably inspired by the Newells that Vic McCristal used. Karl fished with Vic when he was younger and appeared in one of early articles in Aus Outdoors 1970 I think. Karls father Max was a founding member of out local ANSA club and Karl was a member for quite a few years. I only met him once in 2011 when he came to our 40 year anniversary and, although he only lived a few house down from me, I never crossed paths with him. Unfortunately, he passed away a couple of years ago.

This is one i used to own Ian, bought it of ebay i think but not sure who from ??
Gristy
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 10:41am
Thanks Ian, Carl I can see similarities, but reckon you are correct mine isn't by him.
Sorry to hear he's passed away, so many good lure makers have gone.
The one you posted in 2013 Carl, I found by doing a search here under Biebendorf and a post came up, can't remember if it was started by you, or you just added to it? Looks like I spelt his christian name wrong with a K instead of a C. However, I only searched on surname and found it, lure posted had glass eyes from memory.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic