LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Casting Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Casting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casting
    Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 7:24am
If anyone has trouble casting no matter what type of outfit,send a post and I may be able to help out.
The Journey is the Reward

Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:24am
I was trying to be a lead actor on a blockbuster movie mate.
They recon I'm not good looking enough...any clues?
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:28am
Yes and I had trouble knitting last night, I couldn't cast onto the next row.
What am I doing wrong Barry?

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:41am
Oh yes Barry
Never realized your versatility, thought you a mere fisho like most of us!
 My concrete pots are cracking when coming out of the mould , any more clues?
ta
Wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:22am
Hi Barry (again)

The casting from my Falcon is not so solid , any advice on what to add to its diet to clean the crop?

Thats all my questions now

Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:25am
Hi Guys, You're only going to make him more CRANKY....LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL....Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:34am
Big smileBig smileUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyYES MR CROSS ive developed a slppy elbow on my back cast on the new 15wt a mate noticed it the other day in the back yard...DO I just pull the elbow down closer to the body as the tip loads up or take up GOLF??????????????????
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:36am
I think he's fishing Pete!
Cranky by name not nature...I expect the micky to be taken outa me soon!
The swell's outside ,  down my way are as high as the length of my boat!
Wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
amdoubleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdoubleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 10:47am
Thrillseekers, all of you! Play with fire and you know you're gonna' get burntLOL.
Alan
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 10:55am
Oh and also Barry Guru,

I am trying to cast some sinkers, do I have to heat the lead up.

wadey

www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 12:24pm
Dear Agony Aunt Barry,
I haven't cast for so long, I think my fine motor have declined...
what can you suggest in the way of exercises to familiarize them again...
PLEASE HELP MECry
Darbs

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 6:48pm
hi all,im absolutly amazed at you lot,heres a top bloke offering his expertise & you mock him.There is no hope at all for all you backsliders!!!!!Dont take it too hard Barry.cheers richard.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 7:07pm
There is no mocking of Barry intended there at all  Richard!

Perhaps you are tongue in cheek here ?

Backsliders ?...someone who lapses into previous undesirable patterns of behavior??? Never been called that before.

For the record..

Best of Aussie  mates create , share and rebut jokes between each other, with which I'm sure Barry will concur.
When people go to the trouble of creating  such jokes, it is indeed a form of  endearment and an affirmation of closeness to be able to do so.

We do not do this with strangers, or bother with those we don't care about...

The fact that so many are having a poke, indicates to me a great respect for the affable  Capt Cranky.
kindly
Wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:28pm
LaffLaffLaffLaffLaffLaffLaffLaffLaffLaffLaffLaff
Thanks Richard,But Wayne summed it up perfectly.

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:40pm
Yes, tongue in cheek.Still laughingLOLLOLLOLLOLrichard.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:49pm
Am looking at making a stew for dinner, any recipes for cooking in a CAST iron pot Barry?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:02pm
Sorry Richard,  for my unnecessary lesson in Aussie mates ways!
cheers
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:06pm
Nicho do not cremate it because it is too hard to get that burnt taste out of the pot for future cooking.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:13pm
I THOUGHT you were serious now ya"S make me look like a goat GOAT  GOAT GOAT iam off to golfLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:23pm
I am serious with helping people out with their casting.
Don't you dare go play golf.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:48pm
Barry, you'll be happy to note that after the post I went and grabbed an outfit and threw a few at the other end of the yard. Seems I can still hit inside a 12" circle under an overhang and between 2 shrubs, so maybe i don't need help after all Clap  But I just need the where with all to get back on the water Cry

Beer darbs
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 10:06pm
Barry

how about a bit of advice on spooling up a baitcaster with lighter braid for casting.

Simon
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:11pm
Simon, only use Platypus Superbraid if you want anything lighter than 10lb, cant be beaten for suitability with micro Bait casters. The only hassle will be trying to get some of the older stock. The new stuff is supposedly slightly stiffer due to customer requests. They must all use 100+ size reels Confused
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:33pm
Thanks Darby

always partial to the platypus braid.

it's got a bit of limpness about it and I haven't had too many issues with the 30lb stuff on threadlines and a few barrabaitcasters.

interested whether its recommended to run tape or backing mono - I think the main thing is getting the line on under tension to help minimise the top layers bedding in.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 12:09am
Simon, I have found a combination of mono topped with good tape to partially fill the reel works well. Use a needle to poke a hole through the tape and tie on the braid below it, wind the line in and when there is a layer of braid over the mono, add more tape across the spool Clap or you can always take out a loan and buy braid in 1000mt spools LOL

Darbs
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 6:23am
CAN someone tellme whos BIG BURTHA & too tee off does this invlove crokery or a Tbone steak??????????ConfusedConfused
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:58am
Darby got it pretty good Simon.No need to fill from scratch,get some backing on and put the initial braid on quite tight.The single biggest problem with braid is keeping it tight on the spool.Most people think that winding a lure in (depending on the lure)is enough tension but most of the time it is not.
This problem decreases with lowering of line size as less tension is required and the thin line lays between itself better.
Having filled hundreds of 130lb big game reels with dacron you soon learn that tension is very important.
In the early days working with Jack Erskine more than once I put a 1000yds od dacron on a reel to have Jack come along and press it with his fingers and tell me to take it all off and start again.With this type of filling 50 to 60lbs of pressure was required to do the job properly.
GT fishing with 15kg,24kg and 37kg braid is frustrating sometimes because of the actions required to make a blooper popper work.The braid is always put onto the spool with not enough tension and causes burying of line and bunches of grapes coming off the spool while casting.
Good advice is that you can not put braid on too tight initially however be aware of line pressures when everyday fishing is done.Most people are not consciously aware of this.
One good thing with braid is that backlashes are either extremely bad or very easy to get out.There is usually no middle ground.

darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 8:56am
Hi Guru Barry,
I feel that I need some schooling on casting but I can only learn with the hands on approach ,you will have to send down the air fare and put me up for a year or so ,I dont eat much so wont be too much of a burden on you .
Regards Darcy .

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 9:00am
Hi Barry, If your sending down airfare for darcy can I come too...
My Wabbit doesn't eat much you know....LOLLOLLOL...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 9:04am
What have I started with this good samaritan gesture re casting

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 9:06am
Originally posted by CaptainCranky CaptainCranky wrote:

Having filled hundreds of 130lb big game reels with dacron you soon learn that tension is very important.
In the early days working with Jack Erskine more than once I put a 1000yds od dacron on a reel to have Jack come along and press it with his fingers and tell me to take it all off and start again.With this type of filling 50 to 60lbs of pressure was required to do the job properly.

Hi Barry
Joy to hear you quote from Jack, another treasure of Australian fishing...and to pass on  good advice re braid..
I was interested to learn the same problems with braid existed back in Dacron days. I only used a large quantity of 12lb Dacron on my Inter 20 in those days so never experienced the digging in then.
Certainly I have learning the hard way about digging in with braid and securing it tightly to the spool.
Have you seen the new ABU Soron Spinning reels  where the spools come equipped with two tight rubber bands  at the spool base to secure braid firmly so line can be spooled tightly?

cheers
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

CAN someone tellme whos BIG BURTHA & too tee off does this invlove crokery or a Tbone steak??????????ConfusedConfused

BOB,
legend has it that big burtha was a feral goat, first discovered up in the mountainous areas behind Nundle NSW, one of her known traits was to use the billycan of the early settlers as her ""potty"" late at night whilst the settlers slept,
 when they woke in the morning it was said that they would boil the billy, and upon drinking their tea, they would spit out their first mouthful in horror and scream tee off!!Wink
Hope this has helped with your question BOB.
cheers nicho
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 1:15pm
Nicho you and Bob are talking in some foreign language.I have no idea what you are on about.
Wayne I have not seen the new Abu reel but will endeavour to take a peek.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 2:16pm
Look for Cardinal 807i or Soron STX 70 , same reel with fancy name, with mono spool and braid spools supplied.
Good reel for 150/200 bracket
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by CaptainCranky CaptainCranky wrote:

Nicho you and Bob are talking in some foreign language.I have no idea what you are on about.

Me neither Barry Confused

Guys, Barry has made a genuine offer of assistance here, please let's try to keep on topic. Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic