LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Casting Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Casting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 3:57pm
OOps sorry, just having a laugh along with the first (2 pages) of this topicWink
no disrespect to barry intended at all.Hug apologies.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 5:44pm
I agree that you weren't the first to get off topic Nicho- we all do it at times, myself included! Embarrassed

I know you meant no harm, however I think a key point is that some of the more recent comments had no relevance whatsoever to the topic at hand,  the earlier one's did have at least a tenuous link to Barry's original post.

I know we'd go insane without a sense of humour, although several members have contacted me in the past and mentioned that they neither get nor appreciate all the goat jokes, I have to agree I don't get most of them either. Confused

Anyway - back to the topic at hand, if anyone would like assistance with thier casting technique please feel free to ask Barry for some helpfull advice (I'm currently working on a list, although think I'm probably beyond help with the convoluted "technique" I use!)

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 6:23pm
Tony,
1st tip, think claw hammer not sledgehammer strokes, unless you guys in Backpacker Heaven still use sloppy rangoon cane rods LOLLOL

2nd tip, get rid of the cane and try some of that newfangled carbon fibrous stuff, it does all the hard work fur ye Clap

3rd tip, never target that cat on the fence with a casting plug, when you miss and the plug wraps the line around the neck, its a right bugger to get the line back after it is knitted around 1/2 the neighborhood. Angry

Darbs

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 6:36pm
All of which sounds excellent advice Darby - thanks Thumbs Up

p.s. How the heck did you know about the rangoon cane rod I got from my pop, I thought it was my secret weapon! Confused

Cheers, Tony

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:27pm
The darbs sees all 
gecko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 2:13pm
I would like some tips on skip casting.  I use smaller style bibbed minnows, my own timber models, and have read a lot about targeting jacks under mangrove overhangs.  I am trying to learn skip casting to get the lure right under, so far the only thing i think i have learnt is to keep the rod tip low to the water and do a side cast....
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 4:39pm
Hi Andy, Welcome to lure lovers you'll find the Captain is the man when it comes to
giving you tips on casting....WinkWinkWink...I think it's just a matter of practice to
master the art of skipping lures... your on the money keeping your rod tip down at
water level and give a little more effort into your cast...Practise , Practise , Practise
is probably what Barry will tell you to do....SmileSmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 6:07pm
Andy, I'll have a go at helping as well...Skip casting is not for the faint hearted, it's an all or nothing proposition.
1/ choose a lure that casts bum or back first, if the bib or a flat side hits the lure tends to ricochet off into the shrubberyConfused
2/ its a hard casting action, no place for soft lobs here, either a hard sharp flick or use a bow and arrow cast (that's if you have delicate fingers to grip a small chem sharp treble, I don't and have stapled my fingertips enough to master the hard flick Embarrassed)
3/ try a sinking/suspending lure for most time under cover, once you have made the perfect cast you may as well get the best chance of depth while you are there.
4/ a lil tip I got shown, use a soft plastic...shad or grub shape, just enough jig head to get it there and rig it weedless by bringing the hook point back under the skin of the lure body. They cast under overhangs well and if you goof up, chances are the lure will come back without upsetting the neighborhood like going in after it with the boat will.
I am sure Barry will fill in any gaps I left Unhappy

darbs
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:01pm
This doesn't explain the skip casting technique fully, although you might enjoy watching this - I did! Smile

I've never tried skip casting with plastics - I will be after watching this, looks deadly.

Cheers, Tony

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:08pm
Thanks Tony,

What a great video and a beautiful looking river. I will have to learn how to skip cast myself.

Cheers
Adrian
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:10pm
Tony,Clap caught the essence of my tip exactly, although I tend to use Slider Grubs or Gene Larew shad  style bodys rigged either with a weedless jig head or a set up like shown in the vid. I have used various size tubes, but Aussie Bass have yet to develop a taste for freshwater squid LOL

I do remember having a co angler in an ABT Bream tourny that persisted in throwing a Rebel Deep Teeny Craw under mangrove overhangs, spent a lot of time waiting for me to finish casting to a spot, before we went in and he could retrieve his lure from the sticks LOL I think after the 3rd fish in the well, he got the idea and asked for some of my terminals. He managed to stick a couple after that as well.Clap

Darbs
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:30pm
Hi Andrew,welcome to the site.
You have not mentioned what type of outfit you use.IE.Baitcaster or Threadline.
The baitcaster is quite a bit more difficult to master and requires a very educated thumb as well as lots of practice.
Darby is correct with some of the lures he has mentioned in saying that with hard bodies it is easier with lures that land on their rear and do not deviate too much through the air.
A lot of the mouse lures in wood do this and also some of the Knols Natives as well as many others.
A forceful low trajectory with good rod tip speed  is paramount to perfecting this technique.Most times the rod will pass through the same plane as the water's surface or even from down to up a fraction depending on the distance required and the structure or obsticle that is requiring that type of presentation.
When using a Baitcaster I like to not have any tension or braking devices on the spool other than my thumb.After releasing the spool with your thumb for the cast and then momentarily slowing the overrun on impact with the water I then release the spool once more to allow the skip of the lure.
Generally one maybe two skips are obtained with this method.
With the spinning reel many skips can be produced depending on how the rod is loaded and the tip speed of the rod towards the impact area needed and of coarse the lure used.
Obviously the spinning reel is much less trouble to use and depending on your technique can produce great results as per the video above.
 The old story --Practice makes Perfect rings very true with this skillful art of casting however many rewards can be had to the person who can present a lure to a seemingly impossible hidey hole and come away with a prized fish for their efforts.
Hope this helps.
The Journey is the Reward

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by CaptainCranky CaptainCranky wrote:

A lot of the mouse lures in wod do this and also many others.

Adding some Timber Meeces to my tacklebox tonight so I don't forget to have a play next trip! Have I mentioned before I like Meeces Big smileLOL

Cheers, Tony

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:43pm
Hi Tony, try a couple of Knol's natives as well they have an excellent
shape for skipping and are wheighted in the back especially for that Purpose...SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:01pm
I've got a few of John's in my tacklebox Pete, the bass love them too!

Thanks, will give them a bounce next time I'm chasing Bass Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

gecko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:35pm
thanks guys, that's all excellent advice.  i use a curado 200b on a g.loomis gl3 c664.  it is a bit stiff maybe for doing this with 30lb fins braid?  i would like to learn how to cast a threadline reel, but when i do get out i always sook it and go for the rod i know i can cast accurately with.  might have to pick a day when the tides and weather are crappy and force myself to use the threadline gear.  what are the mouse lures you guys are talking about?  do you just mean small lures?  the weedless plastics might be the go to learn with as darby mentioned.  wow, thanks all for your help, i can't believe you all got back to me so soon.  i am new at carving lures and stumbled across this site when looking for hints and tips on queensland lure makers.  i am only using pine at the minute as i don't know what else to use, but some people have suggested some timbers to try.  where is the spot to put some photos up of my attempts so far?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:57pm
gecko,
click on the forum home, top left of the page.
scroll down the page and look on left just past half way, for heading..Hard body lures
click on this
the page will open with tips for making your lures, carving etc
click on the.... Lures you have made... section.
And post your photos in there under whatever heading you choose to use.
Nicho
(ps...if you cant sort that... ask Tony, hes learning computers quite well latelyThumbs Up)

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by CaptainCranky CaptainCranky wrote:

Hi Andrew,welcome to the site.
You have not mentioned what type of outfit you use.IE.Baitcaster or Threadline.
The baitcaster is quite a bit more difficult to master and requires a very educated thumb as well as lots of practice.
Darby is correct with some of the lures he has mentioned in saying that with hard bodies it is easier with lures that land on their rear and do not deviate too much through the air.
A lot of the mouse lures in wood do this and also some of the Knols Natives as well as many others.
A forceful low trajectory with good rod tip speed  is paramount to perfecting this technique.Most times the rod will pass through the same plane as the water's surface or even from down to up a fraction depending on the distance required and the structure or obsticle that is requiring that type of presentation.
When using a Baitcaster I like to not have any tension or braking devices on the spool other than my thumb.After releasing the spool with your thumb for the cast and then momentarily slowing the overrun on impact with the water I then release the spool once more to allow the skip of the lure.
Generally one maybe two skips are obtained with this method.
With the spinning reel many skips can be produced depending on how the rod is loaded and the tip speed of the rod towards the impact area needed and of coarse the lure used.
Obviously the spinning reel is much less trouble to use and depending on your technique can produce great results as per the video above.
 The old story --Practice makes Perfect rings very true with this skillful art of casting however many rewards can be had to the person who can present a lure to a seemingly impossible hidey hole and come away with a prized fish for their efforts.
Hope this helps.

Sounds like excellent advice Barry, Thanks Thumbs Up

Now all I need to do is educate this thumb of mine LOL

Cheers, Tony

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:36pm
RED & BLACK mice on jacks what ya reckon boys???????LOLLOLLOLLOL
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 7:34pm
RED&BLACK  FROGS THENLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 10:26pm
are you fishing for Boothies again Bob?
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 11:19pm
Hi Barry,

Are there any merits in using the Bow & Arrow cast. I would like to learn the method behind it. I have been chasing fish in amongst low hanging branches lately with a 2500 size spin outfit. I need to be able to flick lures in under or between the branches which are about 500mm off the water. I don't know if the skip cast will work with the lures I am using but I will give it a shot also.

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 6:11am
Hi Adrian.The Bow and Arrow cast is excellent for tight areas where you are restricted with your backcast or sidecast.Depending on which hand you hold the rod with,that hand basically points towards the spot you want to cast.The rod holding hand should be out and away from your body while the trigger finger which genarally holds the back of the rear hook is closer to your body.
When using soft plastics or spinner bait you need to hold the rear of the lure which may not be part of the hooks.
Hold the rod rigid and point towards where you want to cast and pull the lure back therefore loading the rod like a bow.
It is all about technique and angles and with practice this is a fantastic method of casting.
It gets a little hard with very small lures to hold the hooks without getting stuck in the finger so I sometimes put a tiny bit of thread on the back hook to grip.
This method can also be used with a baitcaster however takes a lot of practice.
Hope this helps

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 6:23am
very interesting barry, i can see some serious injuries approaching for myself, even distant spectators, but will certainly give this a try. cheers for your info.
Jas

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 8:09am
I have found over the years useing this way of casting the lower you are to the water surface the better your succes to put a lure in the right spot..........Big smileBig smileBig smile
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 10:37am
Thanks for the reply Barry.Clap
I will be giving your method a workout on my next trip.
Do you know of any other casting methods when using a spin outfit to accurately get into tight spots?

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 4:45pm
Adrian no problem.
When I teach people to accurately cast with a spinning reel I use the finger on the lip of the spool technique.
IE.With the smaller single handed outfits I hold the rod with my fingers around the reelseat.The decision as to how many fingers each side of the foot depends on the size of your hand.You may need 3 behind the foot and one in front with a big hand or 2 each side or 3 in front and 1 finger behind the reelfoot.
You need to get the tip of your index finger just on the lip of the spool so as to stop the line from coming off the spool until your release.
A lot of people who use Threadline outfits for accuracy casting try to cast their lure straight to the spot whereas I try to teach the feathering of the line with index finger as the lure is going out,much the same as a Baitcaster with thumb pressure.You can cast very accurately with this method using the underhand,overhand and angled casting positions depending on the area you are trying to get into.
If I could draw I would put up a picture of the hand and finger position with the rod.
Practice this method and you will be surprised at how good you can get with a Threadline and light lures.
Good Luck

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 5:25pm
Very informative Barry, I am pretty sure I know what you mean with the finger placement.
I usually bring the line up and hold it against the foregrip so I am keen to try your method.

P.S. I might have to come up to Cairns and pay for some lessons with you Wink

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 6:23pm
Your welcome anytime Adrian

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 6:39pm
a picture is worth a thousand words...why draw when a digi pic is easier, it is the 21st century LOL

I use this method on every spin reel except my big Certate jig reel, only because the weight of the jig tends to pull the braid out from under the finger tip....Embarrassed

Darbs

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 6:43pm
good pic darb, makes sense now, will be trying that.
thanks for info  Barry
Jason

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 7:09pm
Thanks Darby it makes sense nowThumbs Up
Do you let the line just pull out of your finger or consciously release it at the right moment?

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 7:36pm
Adrian, its a bit of both. You let the tension go when you figure the trajectory is right just like a baitcaster as Barry says, and keep you finger near allowing the line to feather past it so you can put the brakes on if the lure is heading the wrong way. One tip is make sure your fingernails are trimmed and theres no cuts in the fingertip, that fine braid catches on anything Confused
When I was tourney fishing we calculated that we could make anything up to 150 casts an hour on a slow day, this method allows quick accurate casts and recasts if you blow the aim

Darbs
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 7:16am
Thanks for the pic Darbs.

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

I use this method on every spin reel except my big Certate jig reel, only because the weight of the jig tends to pull the braid out from under the finger tip....Embarrassed
Darbs

Nice photo, Darbs, but you've got to relax and stop chewin' the nails!  Try fishing, next weekend,

I used to do a lot of trout fishing in small, tight streams and I've always used the same technique as Brad.  It's a great technique if you want to drop a lure right next to a snag pile.  The forefinger basically does the same job as your thumb does on a baitcaster - feather the outgoing line and stop it exactly where you want the lure to stop.  It allows for very accurate casting in, both, long and short cast situations.

Cheers

Travers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic