LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Centralising Bibs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benno107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Centralising Bibs
    Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:00am
I'v e been making lures on and off for a few years and have just got the bug back after an extended lay off.  I want to step things up this time around and make better quality lures.  I have a few 8" deep diving minnows on the go at present and was wondering what method most guys use to ensure the bib is central to the lure.  I usually just do it by eye sight but think there must be a better way?  I'm using polycarbonate for the bibs.  
Thanks in advance

Mark
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 1:41pm
I use a scroll-saw to cut out the lure profile, when marking out with template of shape I'm making, I draw with pencil the bib-slot. Then when timber is flat on the saw table you get a very square cut. Can then widen the slot with a hand-saw or work away with course sand-paper. However I cheat and use aluminium for my bibs, very forgiving and easy to tune when test swimming by bending. Using polycarbonate you don't have the same latitude.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 3:31pm
If you mean geting the tow point central , just do it by eye . If you happen to stuff up a little bit , you can always bend the tow point a little . Thats the way I do it and it is rare for me to get a lure swimming left or right Smile
I like pretty painted sticks
Benno107 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benno107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:15pm
thanks for the responses guys and I apologise for the ambiguity in my post.  I am happy with the bib slot being square as I cut that prior to shaping the lure.  My question was more about ensuring that the centre of tip of the bib is directly in line with the tow point on the lure (tow point is at the tip of the body of the lure as opposed to being in the bib itself).  Hopefully that makes sense?

I was considering sticking my paper bib templates (with centre line drawn) to the polycarbonate, then cut the bib shape out on the bandsaw.  This would then give me a centreline with which to align the bib and tow point. The only issue may be when it comes time to remove the paper there may be glue residue that would detract from the clarity of the polycarbonate.  Perhaps I'm just getting a bit too pedantic and it is just as easy to align the bib by eye and any adjustment that may be required can be done by tweaking the tow point one way or the other.  
Beetle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:36pm
"when it comes time to remove the paper there may be glue residue that would detract from the clarity of the polycarbonate"

Surely a wipe with a bit of metho on a rag would cure that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic