Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Champion Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champion Brand Lures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Champion Brand Lures
    Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:46am
These were produced from 1988 onwards by Greg And Lynne Thomson in Queensland.Not sure how long they went for.Greg was Jeff Thomson's (fast bowler) brother.Nice lure made of moulded plastic which were good for Barra and Macks.Maybe Darby has his little bit of history on these.
Hope you like them.

The Journey is the Reward

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:24pm
Barry,
You have solved a year long mystery for me, I have one but had put it under the Reidy label.
If I still had Jeff's number I could have given him a ring and asked, but a bunch of my old contact numbers went west when an old mobile died.Angry

Be nice to know more on the story.

darbs
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:27pm
They are really nice lures eh Darby, I like the colours, the green one is very striking..ClapClapClap...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:29pm
Pete mine is similar colour to lower one with  Gold over black bars and spots on the side. I'll dig it out and take a pic later today.

Darbs
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:40pm
I have a pic of me in my early guiding days signed by Greg and his wife.I caught the first decent Barra on one of their lures.

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:40pm
Thanks darbs that will be good to see all these colour patterns Intrigue me but I don't like to copy them as they are unique to the luremaker.....WinkWinkWink....Pete.

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 9:31pm
Here is the pic.

Sideways looks good eh!

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:10pm
geez that was back in the good OLD days hey Barry LOLLOLLOLLOL
bring back the terrybuckets!!!!!!!!!!!
Darbs
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:33pm
Your meaning the hat are you not Darby?

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:52pm
of course mateApprove
those exposed limbs would be a little more bronzed by now as well...

ahh the good ol'days when there was no hole in the ozone Big smile

Darbs

heard from Wrighty lately???

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 7:20am
That hat at the time was given to me by Lefty Kreh and was the new innovation at the time in the USA.
It was called I think an up-downer.You put the flap at the back up when travelling and it would stay on your melon with the downdraft effect of the rear spoiler.These days the back is soft and does not do that.
Darb I can't believe you still do not have one.
I still have 3 or 4 if you want one.They were very early Colombia gear and Gortex.

Moderator3 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moderator3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 9:30am
For some reason I cant edit your post Barry so repost the pic so we dont all get crook necks LOL

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 10:32am
NICE CHOPPERS barry..........LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 10:39am
Do They look familiar Bob??I thought I reckonised them tooLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...Pete.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:54pm
Here's my example

darbs

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 4:16pm
Thats anice lure darbs, ilike the colours a lot.....WinkWinkWink...Pete.

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 4:44pm
And the double hooks were std fare when they were released.

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 3:05pm
Darby & Barry, blow me down it's a small world, I grew up one street away from the Tompson boys in Bankstown NSW. Always remember Greg, as in the early 70's he had a Mini Cooper S in British Racing Green.
Haven't seen him since he gave me a lift in it once, frightened the hell out of me, Greg was a great lanky bugga and his knees were up under his chin in that Mini.LOL
So he ended up married in Qld. and making Champion Lures. I'll be on the look-out for them.
Regards, Tony (Darwin, NT).
"Always Merry and Bright"
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 3:49pm
These 3 came today, 2 are signed by Jeff Thomson
 Nice Barra Barry Clap

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:59am
Barry, you never responded to this, do you know what became of Greg and his Champion Lures?
Regards, Seaweed.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 10:08pm
Bump
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 6:24am
I know nothing about what has happened to Greg.

robyn2839 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyn2839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:20pm
uploads/5346/444new.pdf - uploads/5346/444new.pdf 
these are a few i came across this week,fair condition and some good colours.........bob
old enough to know better
robyn2839 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robyn2839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:29pm
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:40pm
robyn2839, those are Lively Lures IMHO
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

robyn2839 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyn2839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:44pm
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 11:53pm
ahhh thats nice Thumbs Up, good collection there.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 3:09pm
Robyn, nice collection of Greg's lures, don't know where Sandstone Point is? Do you know Greg, or where he may live now? I'm an old mate from Bankstown days, now living in Darwin.
Regards, Tony.
robyn2839 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyn2839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 6:48pm
no sorry dont know him,i am from bankstown area (regents park ) sandstone point is about 1 hour north of brisbane.................................bob
robyn2839 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyn2839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 8:03pm
any one have some sort of idea on value? , i want to liquidate them but  am unsure of value.....bob
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

Robyn, nice collection of Greg's lures, don't know where Sandstone Point is? Do you know Greg, or where he may live now? I'm an old mate from Bankstown days, now living in Darwin.
Regards, Tony.

Sandstone Point is a suburb on the mainland, west of Bribie Island.

Tony.
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by robyn2839 robyn2839 wrote:

any one have some sort of idea on value? , i want to liquidate them but  am unsure of value.....bob

Not the sort of lures that come up for sale too often Bob so it is hard to estimate a price. Your best bet would be to set up an eBay account, although you will lose a small percentage to ebay, the large audience and auction format would compensate for it in my opinion.
Certainly don't take the first offer that comes via Private Message.
robyn2839 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyn2839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:29am
would $8 per lure be a good start?

lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 2:44pm

Bob im not a collector of that style of lure I dont think they are very common so definitely worth a lot more than $8

Cheers Graeme
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by lead lure lead lure wrote:

Bob im not a collector of that style of lure I dont think they are very common so definitely worth a lot more than $8

Cheers Graeme

I agree, if they were mine the start price would be $25, you can always come down. This depends on how quickly you want to offload them too I suppose.
I have no interest in buying these lures by the way, in case anyone is wondering .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic