LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clear coat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clear coat
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:42pm
hi guys just after some advise as to what would be the best stuff to use to clear coat my lures
thanks.
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
I use a marine finish for boats comes up a treat do know what its like over painted lures I have only put it on the nudes I have done,,gary
Timber King Lures View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 1:37am
Automotive clear 2 pack Thumbs Up
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:48am
For a topcoat, plenty of options, just depends on your setup. Epoxy, Moisture Cure Polyurethane, Automotive Clear... The list goes on but hard to know what to recomment without knowing your setup. I will assume you have little stuff, I would recommend an epoxy to start, thin it a bit with metho or similar and brush it on. Hang it vertically from the bib end and let it dry. Important to thin it a bit so excess can run off the bottom of the lure and not pool at the bottom. Add the metho AFTER you have mixed the epoxy. I have heard of many people using this method with success. A couple coats and away you go. Keep it the coating thin, let it drip off the bottom. That way you can start topcoating some lures with very little outlay. From there you can build a rotator or even change your topcoat choice. For an epoxy, would recommend Etex Lite.

Whatever you decide, make sure you read the MSDS first before you do it. Sorry to go on about safety but there are some nasty clear coats out there. I wish I had asked like you have when I started. I didnt read the MSDS for the first topcoat I tried and unfortunately for me it contained isocyanate. I only did a couple lures with it cause I didnt like it, however, I still breathed it in. It was a marine clear, I knew nothing about these nasties at the time and the people I brought it from mentioned nothing and didnt provide an MSDS. At least understand what is in what you are using.

Angus
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:13pm
DUPONT 7600 it is a marine grade clear and comes up a treat.hope this helps steven
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:59pm
I played with a few now .... But for me it's 2pac . You can get a mix cup that shows you the right mix , get a small kit for starters will do loads of lures . Buy a good mask .... Away you go .... Will look up that DuPont 7600 as not heard of it before ........ Just cleared a fair few today and the shine on the 2pac looks awesome I reckon along with it be solid ..... Cheers aaron
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:27pm
Aaron, if it is the 7600 I am thinking of, you should look for DuPont ChromaClear HC-7600s. Great clear, pricy but well worth the money in my opinion. Steven can confirm if that is the one he was referring too, however, I would definately recommend the chromaclear to anyone who wants to track down the 2-pac path.

Angus
joel87 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 8:22pm
thanks guy this helps heaps. i am just starting out and want to do it right the first time.
mudtackle View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Lipsmackin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudtackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 3:45pm
MOTOSPRAY NEW 2/Pack Iso Free Hardener and clear to go with it
be worth a try
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:08pm
ive used the motospray 2/pac and it goes pretty good.Thumbs Up
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 11:02pm
I'm testing it at the moment. Looks good, time will tell how it compares.
stormboy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 12:35pm

Where would be the best place to buy these 2 pack clear coats?

Cheers Nigel
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 12:53pm
i think i bought mine from supercheap auto Nigel but repco may also sell it
stormboy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 1:09pm
Thanks for that Puglee. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the topic, but what is the best way to apply it? Brush or air brush, or are there other ways?Confused
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:17pm
G'day fellas I am real new to this site so please be patient with my questions.

When talking clear coats there are some serious coatings mentioned there, are they for lures for collecting, display or for just fishing?  
If just for fishing then do we have to have a 2 pack shine as I have a few litres of sign writers clear (single pack lacquer) that I intended to use away.

Regards Gordon
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:27pm
gordon,
all the above clears do the job, some are just better than others for longevity.....less resistant to scratches etc from teeth tacklebox and general knockabout use.
At the end of the day, the fish will not care whether its clearcoated or not, so if you have the surplus clear at home, go for it and use it........cant harm trying it.......if it doesnt like the water or blisters etc....then try something else.
Ive got lures in my tacklebox that i have done with a marine varnish a few years back.....they are rough as guts and the timber is showing  but they still catch fish.Wink
keep it simple.......progression will come naturally over time.....but its definately not necessary to use the fancy stuff.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by stormboy stormboy wrote:

Thanks for that Puglee. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the topic, but what is the best way to apply it? Brush or air brush, or are there other ways?Confused
airbrush or an ordinary spraygun will do the job,you'll have to use acrylic thinners to thin it down a bit for spraying,just follow directions on the tins
Cunji View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
RMG assistant troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cunji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:58pm
motospray iso free 2 pack=winner!!!
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 8:25pm
I use the Power plus topcoat straight from the can..not as glossy as some but this two pack idea has got me interested. How do you dry this? Do you need a rotator or similar? 
Cunji View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
RMG assistant troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cunji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 9:02am
No need for a rotater.mix 3 parts of clear to 1 part hardener,mix well add 5-10% by volume of thinners(2pac thinners).2 light coats followed by one thicker coat and looks a million bucks.
N.Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N.Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 10:18pm
Hi fellas,

In regards to the Envirotex lite that I see a few people are using- do you need to rotate the lures with this product?

I am using waterbased airbrush paints and have had dramas with the automotive clears making my paint run. I have tried a few different brands of single part clears but they are either to weak to stop teeth marks from Jacks/ fingermark or they are to gluggy and block my airbrush even when thinned to the specs.

I want to try envirotex lite but need to know if I need to build a rotating dryer?

Cheers,
Nick
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 1:33pm
Nick,

I have only ever used a rotator, however, I have read that you can brush and hang lures fine with etex. Like I said, never tried it but its super easy to try. Just give it a go and let us know how it went.

Process I read about was to brush on the etex straight after mixing, brush from head to tail and once the coating is applied evenly, hang from the nose of the bait. That way it wont pool around the bib.

Angus
N.Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N.Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 2:05pm
Thanks Angus,

Can if be sprayed through either a gun or airbrush or is it a paint brush only product? I have been into a few shops on the Sunshine Coast where I am on holidays and cannot see the etex product anywhere??

Anyone know where I can buy it in between the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 2:46pm
I got a kit that uses a disposable areosol can that screws onto the base os a glass jar, mix the 2 pac, spray on, and hang to dry, dead easy. The aerosol kit and jar (has measurments on the jars side) costs abot $20, the 2 pac comes in 1 quart s i think, will post brands when i get home.
dave.
dragoneye View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragoneye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:22am
hi guys , i am painting my plastic lures using the bosses nail polish , acetone thinned , could you suggest a clear epoxy that would coat these & not cause the polish to run
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:28am
epoxy could cause the polish to fry .i'm not sure but envirotex might do the job some of the other guys would know 
that's no how ye make porridge!
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:48am
I just got home from a drive today. I picked up a spraycan of U-POL clear #1 to finally try. they specify right on the can that it is safe for going over water-based paints. there was another product beside it I was looking at, and it said it was good for over urethanes. I can't remember it's name though. but a product should tell what they are safe for. I used to paint some spoons with nail polish and just coated them with regular clearcoat nail hardener. that stuff is still stuck to them. but they can vary I think. I can't recall if I tried covering any with e-tex.
dragoneye View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragoneye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:17pm
thanks guys, will have to bit the bullet & try a clear coat spray can  first & see if it effects the polish  , then might have to spend a bit more on another type if first spray can works , many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic