LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clear Top coat for spinnerbaits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clear Top coat for spinnerbaits
    Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 3:35pm
Hi All. Just looking for some help on clear top coats. I make spinnerbaits and was looking for a product to clear coat the heads. I need something that is durable and can stand up to being tossed around rocks and the like. Any info, brands and where I can buy it would be great.

Cheers Nigel
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:05pm
Hi Nigel,

I too would be very interested if you find something. I have used a two part epoxy in the past, can't for the life of me remember the name, it could have been rod epoxy actually!!! It held up to a beating but looked terrible.

Let us know if you have any success.

Paul
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:17pm
I would be investigating some of the polyurethane floor finishes that are around, some of them retain some flexibility which would lessen impact marks.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:31pm
Etex and build yourself a spinner.

Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 4:15am
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

I would be investigating some of the polyurethane floor finishes that are around, some of them retain some flexibility which would lessen impact marks.

Brad

Easiest and best clearcoat to spinnersbaits and alabama's.
Btw if you find real good poluyrethane varnish , you can uset to other lures too. Now times i put last clearcots with it to all my lures.
http://www.facebook.com/petri.muuttoranta

www.fishskinlures.com
stormboy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:27am
Thanks guys I will chec them out.

CHeers Nigel
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 1:57pm
+1

Thanks guys!!
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 2:03pm
Nigel,

I my experience the issue is not so much the clearcoat, it is more the primer. For me, painting a spinnerbait is no different to a lure except the base material. The only ones I have painted have been lead spinners, yes the clearcoat chipped away, however, there was clear delamination from the lead. From my line of thinking, whilever the primer, paint and clearcoat have not keyed into the lead they will chip and delaminate easily.

Let me know how you go if you sort it. From a purely topcoat perspective, I would agree with Brad, you want something like a floor finish which is designed to accept point loads and not crack. Envirotex Lite could be an option, just apply thin coats.

Angus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic