LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clearcoat problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Didley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clearcoat problems
    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 1:38pm
Hi guys, I'm new to this, I've made two batches of lures and all going well except the clearcoat. I'm using Barnes Clearcoat and get this "pooling" every time, can anyone help.

Many thanks
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 3:05pm
Good luck with trying to find a cure!! I used Envirotex for years until 10 years ago when it started to react like that. Tried several different brands, different timbers, primers, paints, but still the same. Ended up just using acrylic clear lacquer, not as tough but still looks the part.
Fysshe
Didley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Didley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 3:16pm
Tried painting it onto a raw timber scrap and it is fine. I'm using create paint air brushed on. It looks great when first painted but like this when dry (12hours or so)
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 3:49pm
Fish won't mind Dids Thumbs Up
TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:49pm
I have experienced myself and seen a number of posts recently where various clear coats have not coated well over createx. Not sure if they have changed chemical composition? My solution has been to spray a auto acrylic over the createx before coating with etex. 
34 South
Didley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Didley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:03pm
Today I did another coat that I rebrushed every half hour or so while it was drying, not adding new epoxy, just pulling the materal back over the lure. It gets very tacky after a while( a few hours) and stops pooling. It appears this works, and I'm hoping another coat will complete the job. 
Thanks for the replies!
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 3:57pm
If you've been spraying silicon spray around it will do it. Also if you are measuring with syringes with rubber (silicone) plungers it will do it. I have syringes with plastic plungers (hard to find). Clear acrylic coat over final paint does work (sometimes)
Trev
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:25pm
Hey Allan,
I try to be surgical with applying my clear coat but truth told I very rarely am. 
My experiences with pooling have been because of a lack of finish on the lure rather than the paint. Almost as if surface tension prevents the clear coat from covering the lure entirely. Imagine not enough clear to cover the lure therefore it can’t. 
I also don’t mess with it after it’s gone tacky and let it do it’s thing. 
I solved all my “pooling problems”  just by applying a little more clear. I also use a rotisserie when clearing my lures to allow for an even glass like coat. 
Let me know how you go and if I can be of help. 
Dan
Didley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Didley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 9:51am
Problem solved thanks, after doing what was in my last post top coat came out great
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 10:44am
Looks good,, great you sorted out your issue and this post threw around some interesting items.      Surprised that the type of seal in the syringe would be an issue.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 12:55pm
i get that problem from time to time with the etex,i just wet and dry sand it and hit it again,if it still does it then i wet and dry again and give it a coat of two pac clear.If your method works Didley then stick to it(no pun intendedLOL).thanks for sharingThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 1:43pm
Glad to see problem solved.

I believe the term for this is fisheyes right?

Anything from improper ratio to poor mixing, or a lack of a spinner causing the self leveling nature to go south. Had this happen to a few, in my case no rotisserie which is a huge handicap.

Generally when this happened I mixed another batch of epoxy and filled in the bare patches. Not the most glamorous look, but still catches fish and for my own personal use that's ok.

Didley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Didley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 1:57pm
Right Major fisheye problem
Got a rotisserie
Measuring ratio on digital scales
Mixing very well

I think the epoxy is just not compatible with the paint, if I coat an unpainted piece of wood it works fine. once I get a first coat on, subsequent coats are perfect.
saph View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Didley Didley wrote:

Tried painting it onto a raw timber scrap and it is fine. I'm using create paint air brushed on. It looks great when first painted but like this when dry (12hours or so)

Create paint or createx? i think the go to for lues is the createx airbrush colors, also looks even more nice here after seeing the brushed on clear coat. (yes im the same saph :p)
Beetle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:45pm
I thought the rubber/silicone thing was real until I started mixing my etex in a little silicone muffin baking tray. I don’t have a problem with fish eyes. I think the issue is caused by simply not putting your etex on thick enough. Etex likes to go on real thick. Having a rotisserie would definitely help too as does mixing accurately and thoroughly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic