LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Casting Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CLOSED FACED reels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CLOSED FACED reels
    Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 6:54pm
DOES anyone still use these as i was goig to buy a zebco & get RETRO again any info on reels & rod line ETC thanksBig smileBig smileBig smileWinkWinkWinkregards bob
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 9:07am
I had a zebco many years ago for bass in small creeks. You brought back a lot of good memories! Good luck with your idea.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 10:25am
A mate users a zebco on the bass &Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile likes em WinkWinkregards bob
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 11:44am

Bob
make sure you wear a pair of roman sandles, a tie die tshirt and bell bottom jeans when fishing small creeks using a zebco.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 11:56am
CUZ i dress that way all the time manWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileLOLLOLLOL
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 12:50pm
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 4:47pm
Used to use them fishing extremely tight, overhung bass water many moons ago. The better performing closed face reels had twin line pick ups. Pretty hard to come by now days. ABU Abumatics had them on the 270 model (still got a 160 & 270) Don't use braid, it simply does't work, the line digs into the coils underneath, jams and you will wear a lure in the face. My wife used the 270, and caught every thing from Broadbar Mackeral to Jack with it. She used to impress Eric Moller with it's capability, when we fished with him at Cardwell in the late 70's. She actually progressed from it to a baitcaster without any trouble. The arm action and release moment are almost the same, which is more than half the battle learning to cast a baitcaster.
Trev

Flashshad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashshad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 6:45pm
Daiwa make a couple of models Gold Cast 80 100 and 120. Great for super light lures.
One on fake is better than ten on bait!!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 7:11pm
DO loomis still do pistol grips ???????regards bobBig smileBig smile
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 7:20pm
To my knowledge, no. The pistol grips themselves were made by Fuji. They went out of fashion along with the reels ages back. One thing a closed face reel needs is to be lower on the rod to be comfortable. The trigger grip reel seats aren't really ideal for them. The Fuji system was great, you could have one handle, but be able to use different rods with the adaptor system they had. Like all good things they end.
Trev
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 7:23pm
Bob I've got an old glass pistol grip rod.
Would make a good creek/tight country rod for someone going retro.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 8:06pm
COOL duck will talk soon shame that may be a diawia triforce if i can find oneLOLWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileregards bob
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 9:47am
Very popular fishing frogs in Tassie back in the 60's and  early 70's Abu was the main reel used back then

I think Roddy may have had a cheaper version in the 60's

They were  a popular reel in the USA regularly featured in ads and articles in that time period.

I also thought the gearing was weak in that type of reel
Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 9:51am
I had a blue &white diawa  reel 114 i think it was a cheap bit of gear but it threw a lure &as kids we thought they were the poo back thenLOLLOLLOLBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:07pm
I think I had one of those Diawas as well. A small bass would pull line off a full drag and the pick up scuffed the line.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
goldtrev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:23pm
Hi,  If anyone is interested I have a Daiwa Jupiter Z 25 Lever Drag with preset dial and  ball bearing open faced reel. Long cast system with tangle guard spool.  capacity 70 yds 10 lb monofiliment.

Not new but still in very good condition in box with instructions and drawings.

Think I bought same for my granddaughter to use at the Barra farm.

regards

Barry
goldtrev
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 3:25pm
Used a Mitchell closed face on an Ugly stick BC 1150 for many years and heaps of fish still have both but reel is dead. Deb used closed face reels until recently got smoked by some big lizards and ditched the idea finally.
David
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 3:28pm
SEEN shakespeare  make a low profile one very slim torpedo shaped reel looked coolBig smileBig smileWinkregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 10:36pm
ANYONE used a closed face undercast reel daiwa make one they look sweet alsoBig smileBig smileregards bob
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 2:37pm
Just got this ABU 276ui seems OK.

Lionel
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 3:56pm
NICE outfit very nice can we use braid on these closed face reels?????&what would be the bestBig smileBig smileBig smileTongueTongueregards bob
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 4:07pm
Haven't tried braid on any of my closed face reels, don't think they are made for braid as the line pick up is not hard enough.

Lionel
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 4:55pm
OKEY didnt know that flourcarbon might be the go go goBig smileBig smileWinkregards bob
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 1:29am
I used these a good bit back in the 70's

They had a few problems unless you bought the better models.

The rotors often used to rust because they had a folded lip on the bottom edge that tend to hold water. Also a lot of the cheaper models had very soft line pickup pins that used to groove out pretty quickly. The drags weren't real great on most of them either. On lighter lines it's probably better to backwind than rely on the mechanics!

ABUs were the most reliable and durable.  Daiwa also had one very good heavier model which I think was a 5400 from memory. Had good rust resistance and a very good line lay. It was a copper-red colour.

I wouldnt bother using braid because they are inclined to bed line on the spool and you'd probably saw the pickup pins off in no time!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 7:17am
There was one marketed for braid it was sold loaded with Spider Wire. Not sure how successful and they are not still around so that says something though fashion is a big influence we all had the best baitcasters now it is all spin gear in catalogues
David
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:56pm
As I mentioned earlier in this post, I have tried braid on a close face. Hopeless, closed face reels do not lay the line tight enough, especially if the spool doesn't oscillate like the Abumatics (270) used to. The line will bury into the underlying coils, exactly like braid wound too loosely on a spin or baitcast reel. The lack of a roller on the pick up pin will result in line grooves, even if you persist with braid. I think the only close face (if still made) Daiwa GC100 has these features. The last time I sold one (many years ago) they were up there with a mid range bait caster.
Trev 
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 5:44pm

was looking for a particular rod in the shed today and found this reel on a old Wilson pistol grip it has been around Australia 3 times and has caught just about every species of fish including 118cm barra in the Kimberlys .Maybe I should give it a service and use it again
Cheers Graeme
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:00pm
I THINK a retro fishing comp in a little dam or stream creek would be avery cool thing down the trackWinkWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 5:01am
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

I THINK a retro fishing comp in a little dam or stream creek would be avery cool thing down the trackWinkWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob

It's a pity I'm in the wrong bit of the country! I'd be in that like a shot! Wink

A fair chunk of my freshwater stuff is done with "retro" kit these days. Cane rods, Crouch, Clasmi, Record and early Mitchell reels, and even a few replicas of old lures!

The mates refer to it as my "St Vinnies Kit"

Bloody heathens! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:20am
Sounds like a good idea Bob you could even make like a pre 1990 lure use only
David
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:12am
I have been in a Dam (1950 and 60's )Early ABU spinning reels and more recently  late 60's early 70'sOrvis Italian Made phase.

I be interested if distance is not vast

I still have a very early Roddy closed  face reel somewhere ,that is if it has not ceased
Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:45am
WHAT would the dress be tweed hunting atirer or footy jumpers &footy shorts rippd up ya asre cheecks id say the laters in my wardrobeLOLLOLLOLLOLConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedWinkWinkregards bob
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 9:34am
Just found my tie dyed T shirt but dont think it was made to accommodate a middle age spread maybe retro dress not a good idea
cheers Graeme
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

WHAT would the dress be tweed hunting atirer or footy jumpers &footy shorts rippd up ya asre cheecks id say the laters in my wardrobeLOLLOLLOLLOLConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedWinkWinkregards bob

I would say this has virtually killed this ideaWink......B.O.B. in A*&E cheek showing ripped footy shortsDeadDeadDeadLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:45pm
your right mate it'll be just a deerstalker hat and tweeds for Lord Schofield I think ,retro gear fishing comps would be cool ,I recon a lot of us would be up for that.i got an eighties vintage crystal tip silstar outfit with a shimano bantam,would love to get it some use again.i'll supply a trophy if anyone wants to organise this
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic