Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cobra wobblers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cobra wobblers
    Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 5:25pm
Just posting up some pics for Loftys Lad.

These were and still are my favourite type of Cobra lure.
Hand made in the backyard they are "Candles gliders" and were around for a long time before Tassy Devils.
Wigstons utilised a lot of the popular colour patterns from these and used them when he put out the injection moulded Tassy.

Candles Gliders

Cant remember the maker but still hand pressed cellulose
One in the top row features the Tassy famous Cadbury Chocalate wrapper.Very good fish taker. 

These were fairly crude but did catch fish.
Bobby cannells hand pressed lures.
Funnily I had a heap of these but this colour called speckled hen was deadly and i never caught a fish on any of his others.

Injection Tassy Devils

Thunder Bolts, Good heavy lure just dissapeared, another fav of mine

Tillins King Cobras injection moulded

Another local fella making injection ones
Tony Morecrofts STING Cobras

Good Old Loftys

There ar still many little backyard makers here in Tas and tackle stores still readily take their lures.
There is a strong following for the old hand pressed cobras so there will always be a local market for them.

Cheers
JD

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 8:36pm
Nice cobras JD.. and a good bit of history to go with them Lofty will be foaming at the mouth to get some of those...LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

rob View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:32pm
hi great lot of lure  your second lot of lure pic are old cobbler i have about 20 of these my self the gold one with the black and red dot is a killer on arthurs lake tas buy my from great lake seroArthur's Lake
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:09pm
J D
You maybe able to work out which family my Cobra belongs to that I posted this evening
Thanks
Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:13pm
JD
I think some one also bought a large salt water  Cobra lure as well.
Would you happen to have one of them.
regards John

ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:38pm
I hit Tassie for a fish back in 86 and was continually amazed that almost everywhere we went there were backyard wobblers/Tassies being sold all over the place. I saw many that were hand painted like some of these, others had all kinds of foil from commercial packaging etc. I regret not paying more attention to them at the time, I should have bought way more than I did.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:33am
I wiil put together a photo of some of mine collected through the years including a special order of twenty of my own design that were made up but have reduced through the years with mates having success with it and requesting a lure.
Regrettably who made them all I would not know.

Regards John
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 3:38pm
Hi guys

Sorry I only just found these replies.

Screamingreal, if its the little narrow winged cobra with the devon spinner you are talking about I would be almost sure its a very early Johnson and so is the spinner.
It looks like a Tillens and if it were not for the fact that I got given a handfull of of early Johnsons once that are almost identical to that one I would say it was a Tillens.
And yes there is a saltwater Cobra made by Wigstons in two sizes.
They are chromed metal ones.
Dont seem to have taken off in Tas but I think they are still in production.  

Rob
That little black and gold was a killer lure in most lakes and was deadly in Arthurs.
I cant remember who the maker of these was, think his name was Lewis ???
Cant find them around now.

JD

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 5:13pm
J D
Thanks  I think it was late 50'searly 60's when I got them.

Regards John
fluffnstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:05pm
Hey guys bumped into this post and iknow abit about the second group of cobras that you couldnt identify, so i thought id join the forum to pass on what i know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:24pm
Ooops pressed wrong key, the group of cobras in the second photo are Monk`s Old Cobber Lures designed and made by Bill Monks and later on his son Eston . he made 50 standard colours and various made to order colours, fantastic fish catchers. Bill sold lures all over Australia and even overseas. He sold moulds in the late 90`s to Scott Norton who marketed them as Norton`s Old Cobbers who is still making the odd one or two. Without doubt this is the best hand pressed cobra lur made in tassie today and a very close second to the original cobra made by Brian Johnson from Moonah Tas. Hope this info is useful guys, pity i cant post photos as i have Bills original sample boards with all 50 lures , sorry for the bait!!Cry
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:23pm
Thanks for that mate

I couldnt remember the makers name for the life of me.
They were one of my favourite Cobras especially in Lake Sorell as they didnt dive to deep.
Caught some nice Trout on them over the years.
My cousin has them all now and is still catching fish on them LOL

JD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 10:56pm
Glad to help out J.D.      Been following a few threads with your input in them J.D it looks like you have a good set up , keep up the informative posts mate .Cheers. Wink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 8:54am
fluffnstuff
   Do you happen to have any info on Ashley Lures  they were a popular spinner when the white bait was running in 60's and 70's.
regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 10:38am
Sorry John Cry All i know about Ashleys is their #14 ( Green n Gold ) is a fish killer anywhere in Tassie , if you havn`t got one in your box then your not playing. If anyone is interested to read about Tassie  Cobras and their History try and get hold of Issue 50 of Freshwater Fishing there`s  a good article there to read.  Sorry again John.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 2:47pm
Thanks  mate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:38pm
Thought id have a go at posting some pictures of some old Tassy lures i have if all goes well ill post some more later. Ones with ? next to them im not too sure about so you may be able to help out. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:44pm
Ok that sort of worked thought i was posting 2 pics so ill try the other one now. CheersConfused
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:28pm
fluffnstuff The Anglers Glory does it have a lead core and small round circle at the back of the lure.
The early Tillins paint work above or below plastic cover
They are  early lures
regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:49pm
Hi John yes anglers glory has lead core and i have seen them with the disc, they made 40 different colors i believe , ill dig up an old add and post it for you later. That early Tillins has been re painted i feel. Promise to post some more pics now i can  work it!! I have a lot of unidentified spinners and early spoons etc from here  that id like some info on. Cheers
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:56pm
fuffnstuff
Looking forward to viewing  them ,especially the spinners.
Regards John
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 4:15pm
Would love to see a picture of Bill Monks 50 colours in the Old Cobbers to try to work out what I am missing ?

Fuffnstuff, any chance you have been able to photograph them in the years following this post ?

Many thanks ....

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 9:57pm
[QUOTE=JD LURES]
Good Old Loftys

Just my 0.02c ... but I reckon all three Red Nose Brown Bombers in that pic are Wigstons Tassie Devils, not Loftys Cobras. All the others are Loftys.

JKR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic