LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

conserving a Flopy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conserving a Flopy
    Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 10:30am
Has anyone had any experience conserving the old rubber Flopy lure?

I have a couple of old ones that are showing signs of perishing.
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 4:22pm
I had one that was drying out, becoming sunken like a dried apple  and getting quite hard.
Used that Armoral on it and it softened the rubber  sufficiently to be able to be able to get it back into a respectable shape, far from perfect but capable of swimmming.
Hope this helps
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 8:13pm
Gypsy,
once they are showing signs of perishing its basically down hill from there, they take a very long time to completely perish, as wayne said oil it up, it may help.
They are best kept out of strong light, old guys ive spoke to used to oil them and keep them wrapped in a tissue in a box.
 But I reckon, display the mint ones in there original plastic box as they are harder to find!, soon as I get one with signs of wear, its time to fish it! They are a great lure. Made well ahead of their time.
I used one this arvo and got smashed on it, lost the fish but snagged a log!
Tomorrow i will be swimming out to get it!(its as new.. so $50 bucks worth for sure) worth a swim!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 8:50pm
I know nothing restoring these, but have a few 'Floppies' and if I was a collector of these or any lures I would be keeping them in cabinets/boxes without glass, use U/V Perspex or better still U/V Polycarbonate to keep the UV from breaking colours down/ fading the paint -- Many years back I worked for 4-5 years for a picture framer in this city and we done a lot of work for the National Gallery (amongst others) before they actually built the gallery, worked from original Monets to the original drawings/plans of the National Capital by Walter Burley Griffin, sounds 'toffy' I know, but these things are super valuable and back then we used U/V Perspex as Polycarbonate was not invented -- So if you want to preserve anything with colour (photos, paintings or lures) you need to keep UV light away, this would probably include rubber.
Pete-R
Gypsy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 10:13pm
Thanks for all that.

Keeping them locked away has probably helped them survive thus far.

To complete the above chronology, Nilsmasters took over from the Flopy for Bass, and Celtas were always the go for trout. So that's where use of the Flopy ended.

I did buy one new one after the advent of the Nislmaster, but it turned out to be hard plastic. I've never used it!

Cheers

G
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 11:03pm
Yeah G - the hard plastics were not a pinch on the softies, in looks or use.
Pete-R
rickyb62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyb62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:24pm
It is an issue
I have 40 or 50 currently Im really trying to work out away of displaying them, and preserving them as well.............
I know the UV issue, and also keep them in an airtight container (which Im currently doing)
Was even considering using a cry-vac machine to keep them "airtight"
There such a classic lure, and look fantastic, its a shame to have them "hidden" away :-(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic