LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Destinations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darwin - Another Crack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darwin - Another Crack
    Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:31am
Hi, It looks like I am heading to Darwin again towards the end of March. I went up there in May last year (for the first time) but they had not had much rain so it was a very quiet trip, great holiday but little success fishing wise. I was talking to the brother over Christmas and he said the rains have started so my wife and I decided to both go up this time later this year.
He rang me again on the weekend to say you have to get up here as soon as can to fish the 'run-off' as they have been getting heaps of rain and the flood plains are full. So after some discussions with the Minister for War and Finance and a chat to the boss at work plans are in place to fish the run-off. It will only be for a week but to say I am excited would be an understatement.
The plan is to fish the Adelaide / Mary / Alligator River systems on this trip and travel further afield to the Daly etc when we are up there again later in the year and have more time.
I have all the usual Barra lures (I live in NQ) well as a LL members lures I am keen on giving a run. Any other advice on some secret weapon lures to take up would also be appreciated.
Cheers
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
westy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:46am
OCD are gun barra lures
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:36pm
Thanks Westy. I have been lucky enough to have grabbed a couple of OCD's in the past. I will make sure I throw them in.
Fishalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 8:15am
Hi, I have fished in all of the places you have mentioned, all of the run offs into the creeks I used soft plastics of any kind, as well as Nils Masters spearheads, my favourite colour is the blue wounded mullet. Brian
ringo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 8:45am
I'd love to get up to the NT for a fish one day. I hope you have better luck this time.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 8:47am
You should be right mate, your usual barra lures will work fine, I like rio prawns in some run off situations, just slow roll them back. Plenty of rain for the run off so far this year.....and im away, missing it!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 5:42pm
Thanks for the advice, hadn't though of throwing in any plastics so I will do that. Trying to find where I put the Rio's could be difficult as I hadn't used them for years, but I will find them and that goes for the spearheads as well.
I hope you get up there too one day Ringo. I haven't fished many different areas, just around Darwin and a couple of trips to the McArthur River but it a great experience to see and fish new areas.
Thanks for the advice.
Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 5:48pm
Mate, I am based out in Maningrida - have been now for five years and this wet is looking a lot better than the last two years already. 
For barra lures, anything you use down in your local haunt will work up here. Most guys up this way love the Barra Classic lures and the range from Reidy's are very hard to beat. Might be worth dropping into the factory when you are up here and grabbing a few straight from them - that way you aren't taking excess luggage up with you too.

Hope your trip north goes well.
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 12:08pm
The trip is coming together. The plan (at this stage) is to fish the Shady Camp/ Mary River system and surrounding areas. We have arranged some accommodation in that area to save travel time so we get more fishing time.
I have heard the saying that organizing the trip and the anticipation is part of the fun and that is certainly the case. But I can't wait to get there !!!!
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 9:10pm
have fished both rivers  shady camp is a eye opener dont know if you been before  .go out high tide come back when tide comming back in you will see the most crocks you will ever see       ps just think of the ones you cant see. been stuck out there twice now  once  stuck  out in mud flats over night what a trip never to be forggotten   .caught a crock on a lure that night we were board   still we survived   .got a few more stories about nt   a lot o beer invovedFishing have a good trip  ps if  you can go and see  ant  local people are great brendan t
brendan t
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 9:13pm
ps go to bark hut in  on way to shady   spent plenty good times camped there   drunkCensored Wired
brendan t
manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 9:42pm
Who makes OCD lures and where can you buy some? any photos please.
Manny
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 9:57pm
Hi Manny, OCD is a member here, Gavin Marshall, send him p.m. he`ll respond. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 10:14pm
Thanks Richard. I'll get in touch. How are You going?
Manny
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic